Profile for Stephen J. Ansell > Reviews

Content by Stephen J. Ansell

Stephen J. Ansell "Designer" (Kilmore, Victoria Australia)

The Great Dictator [DVD] [1940]
The Great Dictator [DVD] [1940]
Dvd ~ Charles Chaplin

5.0 out of 5 stars Among the most important films ever made, 16 Aug. 2010
At 52, I have just finished watching this film for the first time. Why I waited is utterly beyond me - a truly courageous film and grave challenge to tyranny. Chaplin may have been small in size but he stands head and shoulders above nearly every other film maker of his era. The ballet with the globe and the barber's speech at the film's end are remarkable. I was very moved by his final words "Look up Hannah, Look up" - surely a call to his beloved mother, that he was doing all he could to be a worthy son and human being. From poverty of the workhouse, to international stardom, the highest paid man of his time lost none of his humanity, grace and total class.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 17, 2013 1:12 PM BST

Les Misérables [DVD] [1996] - IN FRENCH ONLY!  NO ENGLISH SUBTITLES!
Les Misérables [DVD] [1996] - IN FRENCH ONLY! NO ENGLISH SUBTITLES!
Dvd ~ Jean-Paul Belmondo

5.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy The DVD Version if you can't speak French!, 16 Aug. 2010
To me, this film is among the most important of our time. It beautifully illustrates both sides of our humanity. I rank it up with THE GREAT DICTATOR as a social commentary of how we can excel or denigrate ourselves and others. Belmondo's performance is of the highest standard, though the entire cast performs magnificently ... we can all learn much about nobility from this epic film.

My only regret is that it is not available on DVD or Blu-Ray with English subtitles, so I was forced to buy the VHS version (an excellent transfer) and back it up for my personal use. I'd much rather have a comprehensive pure digital edition with cast bio's and documentary of the making of this film.

Finally - I saw this film for the first time in an old Art Deco cinema in Melbourne Australia. It was on the occasion of my first date with the woman who is now my wife. That film will stay in our hearts forever for the emotion attached to it and our sharing in such a life changing experience so early in our friendship.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 13, 2013 8:18 PM GMT