Profile for Mr. R. Szweda > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. Szweda

Mr. R. Szweda "royzee" (mk uk)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
by Frank B. Mormillo

4.0 out of 5 stars Phabulous Photo Pheast for Phantom Phreaks, 26 Aug 2013
This review is from: F-4 Phantom (Paperback)
This slim volume is produced by a Phantom phan for same - nearly 70 pages of colour treats of F4s from around the world. Do not expect many words because Frank lets the pix do the talking, and what a tale they tell. A book to take down every now and again and simple marvel at the "Double Ugly" - as he says probably the most significant supersonic warplane of the 20th Century... and still doing strong service even though this book was published nearly a quarter century ago.

by Frank B. Mormillo

4.0 out of 5 stars Phabulous Photo Pheast for Phantom Phreaks, 26 Aug 2013
This review is from: F-4 Phantom (Paperback)

Perfect People
Perfect People
Price: 3.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Brave change or lame duck?, 27 July 2012
This review is from: Perfect People (Kindle Edition)
I like his other books a lot but this is altogether different. At times I wondered if it was written by someone else. Nevertheless, it is worth 20p for your Kindle. A tenner for a hardback, maybe not...
The plot is intriguing but the execution is at times cringeworthy and I found myself skimming what seemed like preaching about the tech and ethics.
I did not care much for most of the characters either especially the kids.
All in all I reckon this could have made a short story in a collection rather than so many pages of a novel.
The beauty of the Kindle is you can sample... I would advise you do that. I just hope authors do not latch on to that too much and pour their all into the sample to hook you then deliver a lacklustre story.

Very Long Range P-51 Mustang Units of the Pacific War (Aviation Elite Units)
Very Long Range P-51 Mustang Units of the Pacific War (Aviation Elite Units)
by Carl Molesworth
Price: 11.14

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful coverage of neglected area of WW2, 15 July 2012
Enjoyed this book, another useful addition to the Osprey series. However, I found myself wanting to learn more about the "how" of these vital operations. Though it is a good read from the personnel angle it is less useful in how the tactics evolved with the machinery available and how it contrasted with the European operations, etc. I found myself wanting to skim some of the lengthy preambles about the origins of the men involved and seek out the analysis.
This area of operations is seldom covered in, for example, TV documentaries on the bombing campaign in favour of the European theatre. The distances were immense and unprecedented but the dangers to these guys in the Pacific rather higher. And considering the bloodshed to take Iwo it is a shame that this subsequent action is given scant attention. I always have the sneaky feeling the bombing campaign always carries a twinge of guilt but that is not for me to judge. IMHO the strategic bombing of the Axis Powers was crucial and nowhere more so than against the Japanese home islands, my salute to the exceptional aircrew (and to those who maintained their machines and aided their rescue).
Perhaps another time these points could be visited in another book, I hope so. I also look forward to reading about how the B29s and their little friends fared over Korea.

Bake O Glide Oven Liner 50cm x 50cm
Bake O Glide Oven Liner 50cm x 50cm
Offered by Colanders FBA
Price: 10.21

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect for the job, 23 April 2012
Wanted an oven floor covering/liner for my new oven. This was just what was needed, I cut it to size, it collects any dirt or grease and can be washed off and replaced again. Wish I had had one year's ago, cleaning the oven is one of the worst jobs. Would highly recommend.

The Motels
The Motels
Price: 5.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect rock of its era, 5 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Motels (MP3 Download)
Why oh why has no one reviewed this excellent album before me? Bought this back in the eighties on the strength of the stand out tracks Total Control and Dressing Up. These stand the test of time and are still powerful rock anthems perfectly showcasing the exquisite vocal talents of the sexy Martha Davis. The band aren't bad either.
Reminiscent of their contemporaries Shakin Street too.... have listen on Spotify to both and return to buy the albums! Maybe also The Pretenders or Lone Justice....

The Everyday Diabetic Cookbook
The Everyday Diabetic Cookbook
by Stella Bowling
Price: 7.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Misleading advice, 14 Aug 2010
It's tough finding out you are a type 2 diabetic. Sadly this book does not help much. In fact I think some fellow sufferers might disagree with much that you will read in this book.
It is questionable as to whether someone with this condition should continue to eat as much pasta, rice, bread and potatoes as they used to. Some but not all of the recipes in this book rely on some of those.
If you wish to explore the effect eating food as suggested in this book then I recommend using a blood glucose tester afterwards. If your level stays within guidelines for the next couple of hours then you are OK. Otherwise you should avoid such a meals or at least reduce the portions. I am no medico but it works for me and many others. A shame that such advice is not included in every book like this one.
Before I started finding out more about diabetes I would not have believed the controversy that exists between reality and accepted practices. May I suggest you investigate on the web to avail yourself of the store of knowledge on the subject such as in forums like diabetesuk[dot]co[dot]uk? Like me you will not regret it.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 21, 2013 10:27 PM BST

Sony RDRGX350B DVD Recorder (discontinued by manufacturer)
Sony RDRGX350B DVD Recorder (discontinued by manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good.... but wait till you try to copy your discs, 11 Nov 2008
I thought this was a good replacement for my Panasonic machines (which have both developed some weird faults and will not record on non RAM discs) until I tried to duplicate a DVD-R I made on the Sony on my PC. Yes, Ashampoo says it has copied it and the vob files etc are all there, but the copy will not play on the Panasonic or PC.
I have also tried to rip the files of Sony made DVDs using DVDFab (which worked fine on Panasonic discs) so I can post my home vids of bands on YouTube. No luck. I found an alternative ripper but that's another 30 quid.
A look around the web told me others had similar problems. It's something to do with Sony's filing system which dislikes your making back up copies of your DIY home clips etc.
It makes me worry about what happens when this model dies and I can't play all these discs. That should be OK because it's more a matter of the inability to copy rather than playback.
Other than that there's much to commend this well-priced machine.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 21, 2008 11:02 PM GMT

Morphy Richards Cafe Mattino 47070 Programmable Filter Coffee Maker - Stainless Steel
Price: 40.38

4.0 out of 5 stars DON'T BUY THIS MACHINE, 29 Mar 2008
I thought this was OK - it seemed so in the beginning (so I wrote a review saying so) but in the last few days the coffee has tasted awful with a strange after-taste. It isn't the coffee itself - we tested that in another machine and it was fine, so can only assume that this machine is at fault. Please don't buy it - you will be disappointed
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 11, 2010 7:11 PM BST

Molly Hatchet - Live In Hamburg 2004 (DVD/CD) [2006]
Molly Hatchet - Live In Hamburg 2004 (DVD/CD) [2006]
Dvd ~ Molly Hatchet
Price: 17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Stupendous raaawk, 25 Nov 2007
I agree with the other reviewers - one of the best live rock DVDs around.

Pity it's not for rent so you can sample some of its power and atmosphere. Maybe you can check out what a fine live act MH are on YouTube. Sadly I have not yet seen them but would make the effort if they came to our locale.

They did not scrimp on quantity either - over 90 mins and its very well filmed too, not many of those dumb rapid cuts and edits plus you get the guys haranguing the crowd.

I advise anyone who likes guitar rock to watch and listen to this excellent band who deserve the greatness of the likes of Lynyrd Skynyrd and ZZ Top et al.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4