Profile for Future Image > Reviews

Oxygene
Oxygene
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars A Milestone In Electronic Sound, 7 July 2005
This review is from: Oxygene (Audio CD)
First of all, this must be the best electronic album ever created. Although it may not be the album that began the elctronic revolution (Wendy Carlos' Switched-On Bach did that), this album certainly made elctronic music much popular. Being a musician myself, at the end of a concert in which I appeared playing Magnetic Fields Pt. II, a member of the audience said to me, after the concert, that she used to play this legendary album to her young daughter to help her sleep. It would have certainly helped.
I don't think that Jarre has ever been recognised for this brilliant ambient album. Part 1 is pure ambience with VCS3 burbles mixing in and out with chilled-out Mellotron strings. Part 2 is probably a better song than Jarre's most popular Oxygene 4 with its brilliant complex melodies. Part 3 is another unrecognised masterpiece. A gigantic bass dominates the piece showing a great a synth programmer Jarre is. Part 4 is the most popular Jarre piece with its swirling noises and rock/pop-like melody. Part 5 is probably my favourite Jarre song, especially the last half. The first half is similar to Part 3 with its large bass and relatively thin melody. Then, the ambience crossfades into a groovy masterpiece with Jarre almost improvising through the blues scale on top of the bass and hi-hat-like synth. Then, the album ends with the most chilled-out part of the album, Part 6, where the sounds of the sea (recreated with Jarre's synthesizers) merges with Jarre's simple-but-excellent melody. The perfect ending to the perfect album.
Please, do Jarre a favour. If you're a fan of ambient electronic music, BUY THIS ALBUM NOW!!!!!!!!

Drukqs
Drukqs
Offered by marvelio-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind-Bogglingly Amazing, 3 July 2005
This review is from: Drukqs (Audio CD)
This album is absolutely amazing........
Before I bought the album, I imagined that Drukqs would just be a typical collection of his amazing IDM. I'm not saying that I don't like his IDM, I love it, but when I heard the first track's piano, I was confused.....
However, this shows just how much of a genius RDJ is. Pieces like Avril 14th really move me. But on the other hand, masterpieces like Taking Control leave me open-mouthed. How on earth can drum machines be programmed like that.
Overall, 5 out of 5. This is his best album yet. If you like Selected Ambient Works 85-92 and the Richard D James Album, ORDER THIS MASTERPIECE NOW!