Profile for Edwina Lowe > Reviews

Content by Edwina Lowe

Edwina Lowe

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great individual coat, 4 Jun 2013
This is an excellent coat and was actually purchased to replace a smaller size one for my niece that I had bought her previously and she is now growing out of (and quite sad about since she loves pink). It's padded with a removable hood and is just a very good, warm, waterproof and windproof coat with plenty of pockets, an integrated snowbreak if skiing is your thing, taped seams etc. Excellent quality. I don't think it is being produced any more so get one while you can.

Skye: Cuillin Hills - Soay (OS Explorer Map Series)
Skye: Cuillin Hills - Soay (OS Explorer Map Series)
by Ordnance Survey
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a map, 4 Jun 2013
You can't really give an Ordnance Survey map a bad review can you? It was clear and seemed to be accurate so that's exactly what you want from a map.

Pitlochry and Loch Tummel (OS Explorer Map Series)
Pitlochry and Loch Tummel (OS Explorer Map Series)
by Ordnance Survey
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a map, 4 Jun 2013
You can't really give an Ordnance Survey map bad review can you? It was clear and seemed to be accurate so that's exactly what you want from a map.

The Sketchnote Handbook: The Illustrated Guide to Visual Notetaking
The Sketchnote Handbook: The Illustrated Guide to Visual Notetaking
by Mike Rohde
Price: 15.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for focussing the mind of a doodler!, 4 Jun 2013
I bought this book because I was struggling with making notes for my university course. I know so many people rave about how marvellous mind maps are but they just don't work for me... but I do find that pictures/little simple diagrams (even using stick men) tend to make more sense and stay in my memory so I use them when possible but most other times I found myself rambling on with pages of text that I wouldn't remember later. I've always doodled, I tend to doodle when I'm listening to something or on the phone so I thought I should try and focus on that skill and turn into meaningful notes.
I read through this book in a day (the whole book is presented as a series of sketch-notes, not pages of text and drawing lessons) and I do find that using even some of the ideas from it really helps my note-taking. You don't have to be especially good at art to make this work and it will actually teach you a some very easy, quick skills to better drawing and using text. Even simple dividers between subjects in my notes seem in my mind more effective than the old standard straight line across the page I've always used. A great idea and a presented in a useful way.

Chamonix Mountain Adventures (Mountain Walking) (Cicerone Mountain Guide)
Chamonix Mountain Adventures (Mountain Walking) (Cicerone Mountain Guide)
by Hilary Sharp
Price: 10.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little book, 18 Mar 2013
The first thing that surprised me (it may have been somewhere in the description but I didn't notice) was that this is a small book, like a handbook size which is actually really good as it will take up less space in the bag whilst out and about. We are not hardy experienced hikers so the cross section of types of walk for all abilities is good and there's a lot of useful supporting information about hiking generally, things to consider, what to wear, things to take, who to contact if there's a problem and so on. The proof I guess will be in the pudding when we return from the Alps later this year and will have used the book practically.

50 Things to Spot in London (Usborne Spotters' Cards)
50 Things to Spot in London (Usborne Spotters' Cards)
by Rob Lloyd Jones
Edition: Cards
Price: 5.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea for older children to plan a London trip, 12 Nov 2012
These are a good idea for older children if you're planning a trip to London. The illustrations are nice and clear and there is a short explanation of the "thing to spot" on each card (Buckingham Palace, a Red London Bus, Nelsons Column etc.). They are roughly twice the size of "normal" playing cards so quite easy to read. You would also need to buy a tourist map though as there is no pointer on where to find things/places. (Would rate 5 stars if the publishers started including a map to accompany the cards)

Guy Fox London Children's Map
Guy Fox London Children's Map
by Kourtney Harper
Price: 2.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item for adults and children alike., 12 Nov 2012
This is a nice simplified map showing main roads, tube stations etc and pictorial representations of the main sights. You could do a lot worse if you're doing a bit of sightseeing and need a little map to plan with, even if there are no children present! There is a sheet of little round stickers you can put on the map saying things like "saw dinosaurs here", "saw a ballet", "had a picnic" and so on which my little niece enjoyed putting on the map when we got home from our trip. A really nice item.

HTC Desire TPU Gel Skin Case / Cover (Desire "HD", Smoke Black)
HTC Desire TPU Gel Skin Case / Cover (Desire "HD", Smoke Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit - Gel Cover HTC Desire HD, 26 Jan 2011
Excellent gel cover, fits perfectly and very easy to slip onto the phone. This one is translucent and black/smokey in colour so it looks really nice on the DesireHD Chocolate. As it's a large phone it can be a little cumbersome to hold and it can easily slip out of your hand (I nearly dropped mine several times in the first few days before I fitted this cover) but this makes it feel far more secure. It also means you can stand the phone on its edge leaning on something without it sliding/falling over, which makes it easier to see the screen or notification light at a glance or watch video etc rather than it lying down.
One bit of advice.... I bought this in tandem with the 2 other items in the "frequently bought together" suggested items (this cover, 5 screen protectors HTC Desire HD Screen Protector (PACK OF 5) (very good if a little fiddly to put on) and a leather HTC pouch HTC Desire HD ACE Pouch PO S550 (also a really nice item that the phone fits perfectly), but even though this gel cover is very slim, with it on, the phone is just a tiny bit too big to go into the leather pouch, which is a shame as it would have been just a little extra protection for the screen when not in use. I'd say you can either use the gel cover OR the HTC case but not both at the same time.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2011 11:07 AM BST