Profile for Nathan Strange > Reviews

Content by Nathan Strange

Nathan Strange "filmaddict7" (Bedfordshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
I Have America Surrounded: The Life of Timothy Leary
I Have America Surrounded: The Life of Timothy Leary
by John Higgs

4.0 out of 5 stars A Gripping Ride!, 29 Oct. 2011
If you want a book that flows whilst scoring all of the juicy bits in Timothy Leary's life this is the one to get. Each chapter is about ten pages long and is packed with some very entertaining information as well as plausible speculation. I felt that the author had really connected with the spirit of Leary and I found myself drawn into this 1960s counter-cultural/hippy world in which Timothy Leary helped create and construct through giving his philosophical viewpoints and recommending that the youth take LSD to reset their conditioned minds.

The author is not biased either; he balances out his information and pointing out where Timothy Leary went wrong and writing about some of the less heroic acts he did like become a snitch for FBI in order to get out of prison (however, considering Tim's situation it is still understandable why he did this and besides he could've given away much more information than he let on, but instead cleverly led the Feds on). It also has a good forward by Winona Ryder who happens to be his God daughter... It's totally worth getting this book; from stories like his escape from prison with aid from the Weather Underground to his life in Africa and then Europe with his girlfriend Joanne.

Brilliant! I really did enjoy it but only give it four stars because I wanted it to be a bit long and bit more in-depth with more detail but still a great read - it left me wanting to know more about Leary but this is definately a great starter as Higgs totally connects with the spirit of Leary and spirit of the times.

Depressive Illness
Depressive Illness

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book But Don't Trust The Pills, 23 Oct. 2011
This is a great book for understanding the different types of depressives illnesses and how they effect us and those around us; it is really well written with much clarity, insight and humor. However, when the author started to recommend anti-depressants as a solution to depression I turned off slightly. From my experience the doctors pills help to suppress the feelings of depression rather than help get to the core of the problem. Therefore, I found that the cure lies within self-expression and meditation; mind-altering substances such as psilocybin and DMT can also help to weave out old habits of thinking. It is also important to understnad how the environment around you can help instill positivity so it is best to be careful what company you keep. Whether you agree with me or not this book is still worth reading though and I do recommend it but I'd just stay away from the doctors prescriptions.

If you really want to understand why you are depressed or think the way you do I would steer you towards the works of Gurdjieff, Carl Jung, Timothy Leary and Wilhelm Reich. Still, like I said I am in no implying that this book is not worth reading; it totally is... but it is definately worth looking deeper...

Papillon
Papillon
by Henri Charrière

4.0 out of 5 stars A Thrilling Read, 22 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Papillon (Paperback)
There are some greats bits in this story, it is a totally solid adventure book. Some of it is very sad and some of it is very... erm... nail biting and even horrific... for instance the chapter when the man has been tied to a tree that is infested with flesh-eating ants, he is then given cuts all over his body and you can guess the rest, terrible. There is also a horrid scene in which a man's pet kitten is given to him as his own dinner without him knowing. There are also many exciting escape scenes and jungle scenes. This really is a fascinating biography and I recommend it to anybody who likes a good adventure!

Cosmic Trigger: Final Secret of the Illuminati: Vol. 1: v. 1
Cosmic Trigger: Final Secret of the Illuminati: Vol. 1: v. 1
by Robert Anton Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars A Sirius Read, 21 Oct. 2011
I struggled with this book in many parts and because of this I'm going to give it three stars. It's not so much an encyclopedia as it is a book about Wilson's reflections, experiences of psychedelic substances and encounters with Timothy Leary amongst other radicals. I thought this book was going to be purely and primarily about the Illuminati and their plan to overthrow the planet. However, the Illuminati are overshadowed by Wilson's first person narration and his experience with mind altering substances.

I found the best parts of this book lie in the descriptions of his most personal experiences in which he writes of. I love it when he describes a green alien dancing in his garden and said it's the most divine thing he ever saw! Funny as hell, but he then identifies the alien as a leprechaun called Mescalito - the spirit of peyote whom also appears as Peter Pan. I also had an encounter with this little elf when I was on a journey, but he appeared to me as a moving two dimensional form who kept waving at me whilst he was dancing.

I also found Wilson's account of his daughter Luna who was murdered a rather moving part of this book which even brought my tear ducts to churn. His friendship to Timothy Leary is also brought up on many occasions which has inspired me to read in to Leary's life more than I have. It seems that Leary himself was constantly shadowed by the Illuminati but had the ability to laugh off the fearfulness of it unlike Wilhelm Reich who became a victim of their actions. Talking of him I loved Wilson's mention of both Wilhelm Reich and G.I Gurdjieff whom are two of my biggest inspirations into the occult, the truth, Illuminati conspiracy and the human condition. He also mentions Terrence McKenna which I was glad of as well and how 2012 plays an important role in our evolution. I find it amazing how Wilson had looked into so much and studied these guys back in 1977 when the book was published, it is only now in 2011 that alot of people are hearing about them.

Still, Wilson's book doesn't answer the big questions for me, it doesn't make complete sense of the Illuminati conspiracy or their agenda; but it does touch on some important conspiracy factors in which this secret society are responsible for. Wilson beats around the bush a little too much and doesn't pack the punch to send me into that intellectual level of bliss I love to reach when I'm reading. However, after reading this, it has got me thinking more coherently about Sirius the dog star in which is rumoured to be the Earth's twin or 'dwarf star'. Wilson also explores the idea that our planet, Mother Earth is being watched by over-souls (the Illuminati) who reside on this planet Sirius. When the Earth and the people's consciousness reach the right frequency contact with this planet will begin and the human race will shed all of it's conditioning?? This sounds quite plausible to me, but I am not drawing any vast conclusions. Still, a good read for anybody who is interested in the Illuminati, 2012, the 60s psychedelic movement and the occult.

Long Walk To Freedom: The Autobiography of Nelson Mandela
Long Walk To Freedom: The Autobiography of Nelson Mandela
by Nelson Mandela

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Enjoyable, 20 Oct. 2011
I thought this book a bit fat and chunky when I first got it through the post but after reading the first few pages I realised it was written well and because of this it wasn't so hard to get through after all. I really got into Mandelas life and in some parts it was like I was right there with him; his story of how he made it to president from being in prison is a fascinating one. His life of activism is an adventurous one and this is well worth reading for anybody who wants to know what it was like to walk in this great man's shoes.

The Rose that Grew from Concrete
The Rose that Grew from Concrete
by Tupac Shakur

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Inspiration and Thug Sentiment, 20 Oct. 2011
This book has some truly amazing poems in it which inspired me to start writing myself. Tupac really had a big heart and this book proves that; through reading this selection you can gather an understanding of who Tupac was before he was famous and dilemmas and emotions that he felt. This should brought and read by all Tupac fans!

The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: or the Murder at Road Hill House
The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: or the Murder at Road Hill House
by Kate Summerscale

4.0 out of 5 stars A Gripping Read! Had Me Guessing Until The End...., 18 Oct. 2011
Picked this book up at work in BnQ and could not put it down; it was actually somebody elses book but after reading the first chapter I acclaimed it as my own. I'm not usually a reader of murder mysteries but this one really hits the spot because it is more of a novel document in which uncovers the truth behind the murder of a three year old boy in the 19th century. Even though it sounds dark and daunting the book really pulls you in and turns you into a detective as well. The poor boy was found murdered in the garden out-house and the murderer seems to be one of the family, or is it? Mr Whicher is called to investigate but with enough heat on his back from the public media to break his back and destroy his good reputation. If you want a quality read of factuality in which will keep you turning the page to find out more clues, get this book!

The Captain is Out to Lunch
The Captain is Out to Lunch
by Charles Bukowski

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny... Sad... Inspirational!, 11 Oct. 2011
Loved this book, it was the fifth book I had read of Bukowski and even though this is not like Post-Office, Factotum, Women or Ham on Rye it certainly is amazing. It's a diary of his last days, you get to read his thoughts and his moaning and what he thinks of life. It's a very honest account and is definately one of my favourite Bukowski books. At times when reading this book I got the sense that Bukowski had had enough and you can sense that knows that his time is limited. It can be quite an emotional read for a Bukowski lover but it's definately worth reading as in no way does he lose his moxy, Bukowski will always be Bukowski to me; a man who highlights the absurdity in the way we live.

The Lovely Bones
The Lovely Bones
by Alice Sebold

5.0 out of 5 stars EXHILARATING, SAD, VERY VERY MOVING!, 11 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Lovely Bones (Paperback)
I loved this book, it had me gripped from the start to the end. The narrator's voice is sweet and you like her, she speaks from the heart and when you find out she is dead and a victim of a murder plot your heart goes out to her and you just want to sort out the injustice. I felt that this book worked really well and there's been enough written about it to confirm that it is a good read which why I am not going to say too much as it's already been said. This is well worth the read, you won't be disappointed!

Catch Me If You Can: The True Story Of A Real Fake
Catch Me If You Can: The True Story Of A Real Fake
by Frank Abagnale

5.0 out of 5 stars YES! THIS CERTAINLY LEAVES THE FILM BEHIND... FAR BEHIND!, 11 Oct. 2011
I watched the film and then months later picked up the book whilst I was travelling. I'm glad I did because I had never come accross such a funny and exciting thriller like this before; it being a true account and all makes it extra classy as well. This book really is ingenius just like the author who could convince anybody that he was... well, anybody! I was sceptical about buying the book at first, especially after seeing and enjoying the film so much, but now I can't even watch the film with seriousness. This book just rips it to shreds, everything Frank Abignale jr does and says in this book is marvelous and I found myself gripped to every word; I found myself biting my nails and off the edge of my seat in attempt to catch every word the author had written - it really was that sensational. There is so much in the book in which is not in the film and some of it I thought WOW... what happened there? Why did they change it for the screenplay? Jesus, they certainly messed up there!
This book is so good I leant it to my Grandad after I'd read it and he even phoned me up to thank me and tell me how great it was... but I had to calm him down and tell him that I already knew! Anyway, last words... READ THIS BOOK OR MISS OUT... SIMPLES!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9