Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Profile for Nathan Strange > Reviews

Content by Nathan Strange

Nathan Strange "filmaddict7" (Bedfordshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
The Damage Done: Twelve Years Of Hell In A Bangkok Prison
The Damage Done: Twelve Years Of Hell In A Bangkok Prison
by W Fellows

5.0 out of 5 stars A great story of strength, courage and triumph!, 1 Mar. 2011
I read this book in Thailand when I was in Koh Phi Phi and it was so intense, enthralling and at times harrowing I couldn't actually put it down. One scene tells of his friend screaming in his cell with no one to help him. This Warren's story of how he was imprisoned for getting caught with heroin in Thailand. Many events and terrible punishments happen to him when he is in prison. He gets made to stand in the prison sewer well for hours on end, he has to eat cockroaches to survive, it is gut-wrenching when you read it.

One incident, Warren asks a guard if he would check on his friend, and luckily they had a good guard on that night. The guard found out that the man was screaming because he had a lump the size of an avacado on his neck. Another prisoner had managed to smuggle a razor blade in, he cut open the lump and loads of wriggling maggots came streaming out. What had happened was a cockroach had somehow go underneath the mans skin, maybe through his ear.

There is many other severe events that take place and it is a miracle that Warren lives to tell the story, it is truly inspiring!

The Terminal Man
The Terminal Man
by Alfred Merhan

5.0 out of 5 stars A touching story!, 1 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The Terminal Man (Paperback)
I loved this book, it was absolutely amazing and a hundred times better than the film. I found myself gripped by the author's voice who had written this book as a true account of his time as a homeless person in an airport. As he had lost his passport through getting mugged he had no proof of identification and could not get into any country thus having to live and settle in Charles De Gaulle airport in Paris. He was originally from Iran and wanted to visit England where he dreamed of setting up a new life but he ends spending fifteen years in this airport.
This book is written as his diary and is a pretty touching read, it is refreshing and witty but also saddening as you feel sorry for this man who's lfe has been ruined. He has become more or less a vagrant but for some reason you would never identify that word with him as his writin is so humane and inspires hope. What I also found interesting is that the author apparently still lives in the airport today and can be spotten in the same terminal in which the book was written in.

On the Road (Penguin Modern Classics)
On the Road (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Jack Kerouac

5.0 out of 5 stars An exciting and enthralling read!, 1 Mar. 2011
I read this book when I was travelling in Australia and I found it absolutely gripping. Kerouac's account is so real that it brings you into the story like you are there with him. I found myself pulled into the 1950's jazz era in which people are exciting and not mundane, people dream of a better way of life and have high hopes of freedom. Reading it actually made me pick myself up and go on the road myself as I was so inspired by Kerouac's enthusiasm and zest for and something beyond the everyday working world. His whole rhythm and pace in this book is also immaculate and his longing and lonliness comes accross as very human and touching.
Some of te descriptions also remind me of Fitzgerald's 'The Great Gatsby' which is also a classic read, but example of this is when Kerouac writes:

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!"

Get this book if you want to be inspired to do something out of the norm like go traveling or even On The Road yourself!

Living with Kundalini: Autobiography of Gopi Krishna (Shambhala Dragon Editions)
by Gopi Krishna

3.0 out of 5 stars A biographical introduction to what Kundalini is., 1 Mar. 2011
This book is not the original, it has been edited with Gopi Krishna's autobiographical account of his Kundalini experience into the context. I enjoyed reading this because I could relate to what he was going through as I myself am going through a similar crisis. However, I felt that because he had edited his biography into the book at a later date, the flow of the origial context had been lost. It is quite clear where he had edited his own story into his previous kundalini description and understanding. I did not feel that the two contexts went together that well. I would have liked to have read the original Kundalini book itseld and then read his biographical account. Still, I recommend this book to anybody who is going througha kundalini experience as well as Stnislav Grofs book 'A Stormy Search for Self'.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 18, 2013 7:54 AM BST

Your Erroneous Zones: Escape negative thinking and take control of your life
Your Erroneous Zones: Escape negative thinking and take control of your life
by Dr. Wayne W. Dyer

5.0 out of 5 stars WAYNE DYER AT HIS WISE-CRACKING BEST!, 27 Feb. 2011
This is one of the first books which I read on understanding yourself from a psychological perception. Dr Dyer uses good humour to explain psychology through the works of Abraham Maslow and others using great quotations and examples to how we can enlighten ourselves and stop playing the 'victim'. We need to assert that we are in charge of ourselves and are actually in control of our own lives. Many people enjoy being victims and complaining about their rubbish and dull lives, they remain in a victim-hood mentality which stagnates them, holding them back from becoming 'sef-actualizing' individuals. This book helps these types of people move forward with their life so that they can understand why feel depressed and unhappy and how they have alot more potential than they think. In other words, this book helps you realize your comfort zones and how you can challenge fear and move out of these barriers that you have created and this is all done through having a better understanding of yourself and how your mind works. This is a really easy read with very interesting facts and will help anyone who is having self-esteem issues find their feet again.

Awareness
Awareness
by Anthony De Mello

5.0 out of 5 stars PURE WISDOM!, 27 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Awareness (Paperback)
This is an amazing book which helps you to stay in touch with the present moment through awareness. This helped me understand how people are asleep and need to wake up out of their illusion. It also helped me come to terms with my own stubborn ways and the resistance that I had put up to not awakening to the truth. De Mello talks about how most people do not want to wake up and how they can but first they must confront their inner-selves as a part of them wants to stay asleep. This book is dazzling in it's writing though, it thrills with each chapter giving great insights and the good thing about this book is that you can open it at any page and gain a truth from it. It is a comforting read for anybody who is alienated and feels that there is something more out there than what they have in their life at the moment.

It is also such an enthralling read that explains what the truth is and how our egos deny it. I haven't found a spiritual book that is crafted with such a flow of heart and soul. It actually can be read in one setting but I like to take my time and read it in bits and ponder and reflect over my life and how I can apply this wisdom to my life.

The Celestine Prophecy
The Celestine Prophecy
by James Redfield

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening, Exciting and Enthralling Spiritual Read, 27 Feb. 2011
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
I read this book in awe as each insight helped me piece together my life. It took me a little while to get into it but after the third chapter I found myself absolutely gripped. It was an amazing journey which made me think about spirituality. It made me think my life through asking questions like what is the point in arguing with somebody? There is no point in arguing with anybody as it is just a 'power struggle' which an enlightened person understands and will avoid and instead seek to find true happiness or heaven in themselves. As heaven is really a state of being rather than a place. This book helps you achieve that state through understanding a set of 9 nine insights which lead to an ultimate awakening for the protagonist and will also do for the reader!

A New Earth: Create a Better Life
A New Earth: Create a Better Life
by Eckhart Tolle

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT READ, 27 Feb. 2011
Anyone who is interested in understanding themselves and society and how we can enrich our lives with spiritual knowledge should read this book. It is an amzing book which follows The Power Of Now, it differs somewhat in that the first book deals more with the psychology of living in the now and how to attain that where this book concentrates more on what it means to be in the now and how this is a global transformation rather than just a personal transformation. In other words, we are all changing and co-creating a collective reality, we are not alone in our struggle to be liberated by what he calls 'the pain body'. It is a brilliant companion piece to his other novel and I found it a comforting read as it explains that it's not just me who is changing but it is a social thing that most people are unaware of. Overall I loved this book and strongly recommend it, it is a page turner for sure and will have you intrigues until the end!

Resurrection (Penguin Classics)
Resurrection (Penguin Classics)
by Leo Tolstoy

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite Tolstoy Novel!, 27 Feb. 2011
This was the first Tolstoy book I had picked up and it remains my favourite. It is all about a prostitute who is up on a murder trial and Dmitri a nobleman who is is the jury. He realizes that he knew this prostitute from years ago when she was a servant to his household and he had fallen in love with her, had an affair with her, raped her and left her as she did not have the status to marry him. When he realizes that the woman who is on trial is the same woman who had been a servant to him years ago he realizes that he is partly guilty for her being in this situation. If he had stayed with her and loved her, he could have prevented this whole situation.
He visits her in prison and talks to her, he talks to all the other prisoners and realizes their social sufferings too and comes to the realization that the aristocratic world that he lives in is a fake world ignorant to the poverty and the conditions in which the lower class people live in. He seeks to forgive himself and hopes that the woman he once loved could find a way to forgive him. This is a very spiritual book, and I think it reflects Tolstoy's spirituality and his relationship with society as he himself was an aristocrat. Apparently it was his last major work which also says something as well. I really loved this book it is so deep and compassionate, I found myself absollutely gripped and wanted Dmitri to find spiritual peace.
It is also a huge criticism on the prision conditions at the time, so there are also parts within the book which describe the most terrible conditions in which prisoners were forced to sleep under, with rats crawling all over the place, it is all in this book and I highly recommend it to anybody who is going through spiritual changes themselves as they will identitfy with the character and how he seeks for peace through trying to help others through understanding them and then inacting upon what he had learnt.

Nineteen Eighty-four
Nineteen Eighty-four
by George Orwell

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping read and an IMPORTANT book!, 24 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Nineteen Eighty-four (Paperback)
I think Orwell has written an ingenius novel, a timeless piece which tells the story of Winston Smith who is on the brink of an awakening to an understanding that something is not quite right with the world. He works for Big Brother, the elite class who change the history of the human race to control the present. It is called Newspeak and, the basic philosophy is that what Big Brother says is the truth, what the media says, must be believed and anyone who acts otherwise is insane. Smith is one who is in charge of changing the history, and one day he starts to become conscious that he is a working a tool helping Big Brother to program the masses with false information. In other words, he is helping construct a false reality in which the masses live in.

I had read this book when I was in Thailand because I was interested in George Orwell's outlook and perception of what society could turn out like if human's do not buck up their ideas and get out of this victim mentality which has created the society that we live in. This is a satire which laughs in the face at the political hierarchical nature which human's have become subjected to. England is the most highly surveyed country now, with cameras pointing at us from all angles. We now have webcams and internet, which is similar to what Orwell had described as telescreens. Nobody questions our surveilance, nobody seems to care, but Big Brother is watching. The totaltarian society which Orwell has created in this book could well become our own if we do not understand what is going on in the world.

This is a mustread for any conspiracy theorists or people who are waking up to the truth and want to understand what our lives maybe like if we do not awaken ourselves and understand that we can be more than just ideological pawns which work for a system which has no care or pity, no empathy for human goodness which I believe to be the essence of our true nature, man is not a machine but is slowly becoming the computer that he has created, or is he not already?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9