Profile for Alan Tanski > Reviews

Doctor Jekyll & Sister Hyde [DVD]
Doctor Jekyll & Sister Hyde [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ralph Bates

4.0 out of 5 stars A good blind buy., 22 July 2013
Never saw this in the theaters so I took a chance that I might like it and I did. Another winner from Hammer.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2014 10:59 PM GMT

Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde [ 1971 ] Uncensored - Hammer Collection
Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde [ 1971 ] Uncensored - Hammer Collection
Dvd ~ Ralph Bates

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't see it., 22 July 2013
The DVD got lost in the mail. I would have liked to have seen the uncensored version but I had to make do with the theatrical version.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2014 10:56 PM GMT

House of the Long Shadows (1983) DVD
House of the Long Shadows (1983) DVD
Dvd ~ Vincent Price
Offered by Leisurezone

4.0 out of 5 stars Come into the light, 27 May 2013
Not one of the best films but the teaming of Cushing, Lee, Caradine and Price makes this great. This particular pressing is very watchable because I can now see what is going on in a supposedly darkened room. The MGM pressing has the entire screen in almost total blackness during those scenesand it had me scratching my head, wondering what was going on. The people at MGM should be shot, revived and shot again for releasing a really bad copy. It was worth the extra money for the UK pressing. I would stronly suggest buying an all region player so you can enjoy a good quality DVD.

A Summer Story (1988) Region 1,2,3,4,5,6 Compatible DVD Starring James Wilby, Imogen Stubbs, Susannah York...
Dvd ~ Piers Haggard
Offered by Aquabend

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful love story., 25 April 2013
I've loved this movie since it first came out but this disc is subtitled in Korean, not English and that is a bummer for me. The soundtrack is in English so why not the subtitles? But it is a beautiful film and (let's keep this between ourselves) I've had a crush on Imogene Stubbs from the first time I saw this.

Dracula (Blu-ray + DVD) [1958]
Dracula (Blu-ray + DVD) [1958]
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally complete, 25 April 2013
This is the best Dracula that Hammer ever did. Glad that the 8 seconds missing were finally restored. It took the restorers a long time to do it but it was worth it.

The mad Magician (uncut) Vincent Price
The mad Magician (uncut) Vincent Price
Offered by Scene-Style

4.0 out of 5 stars Why not 3D?, 15 Feb. 2013
The original movie was in 3D. It should have been released that way using the red/blue lenses, which work very well on an HDTV. Still it's nice to have this copy until one comes out in 3D.

Kill List [DVD]
Kill List [DVD]
Dvd ~ Neil Maskell
Offered by streetsahead

4.0 out of 5 stars Now I know what they said, 15 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Kill List [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this film first on the big screen but I couldn't understand a lot of what the cast was saying. I have a problem with strong accents from the British Isles areas. I had to hope that the DVD would be either subtitled or closed captioned. Luckily it was, and what a difference it made. The movie was definitely unsettling. I recommend this.

Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection [Blu-ray] [1931] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Boris Karloff
Offered by Venture Online

5.0 out of 5 stars What a difference, 15 Feb. 2013
I had owned the DVDs of all 8 movies but by seeing them on Blu-ray, it's like I'm seeing them for the first time. My only complaint was that I don't have the 3D capabilities for "Creature From The Black Lagoon". It would have been nice to include a red/blue lens 3D presentation. Hope more Universal horror films are relased on BD. (And the price was fantastic.)

The Uninvited [1944] [DVD]
The Uninvited [1944] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ray Milland

4.0 out of 5 stars One thing wrong, 15 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Uninvited [1944] [DVD] (DVD)
I loved the movie but the one thing wrong was on the technical side. The player just displayed the word "Play" and did not show the advancing running time of the film. This helps to see how far one has to go until the end of the movie. Other than that, I recommend the film itself. Very atmospheric and (at times) down right spooky.

Attack of the Werewolves (Blu Ray) [Blu-ray]
Attack of the Werewolves (Blu Ray) [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Carlos Areces

5.0 out of 5 stars Werewolf freak, 15 Feb. 2013
I love werewolf films. I have the very good in my collection and also the very bad. This film is in the excellent catagory. It is loaded with action but it also has a sense of humor. The laughs aren't done to tell jokes or spoof the genre but are realistic. In other words, the film makers are not trying to shoot themselves in the foot. This is really one of the best werewolf films I have ever seen and I highly recommend it.