Profile for Adam. L > Reviews

Content by Adam. L

Adam. L "Adz" (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
WONDER GIRLS - [ REBOOT ] 3rd Album CD + Photobook + Sticker Sealed K-POP JYP
WONDER GIRLS - [ REBOOT ] 3rd Album CD + Photobook + Sticker Sealed K-POP JYP
Offered by Valueflag

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Album!, 16 Jun. 2016
I feel compelled to write a review for this album since someone else has left it a shocking 2 star review and hasn't even reviewed the contents of the product, first of all, its pretty big with tons of gorgeous pictures, this album channels the 80's and the imagery is very much of the time, the girls look stunning. As for the music well what can I say? Easily one of the best K-pop albums of all time, 80's themed, pumped full of synths, 808's, beats and best of all amazing vocals and melodies. The girls had a huge hand in producing this album and it shows, their artistic flair is all over it, they channel all kinds of 80's songs, from power ballads to disco to synth to electro-pop, truly an amazing album. Ignore the 2 star review it was just about some silly custom charge which you should come to expect if you're importing something from outside of your continent.

Arrow - Season 4 [DVD]
Arrow - Season 4 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stephen Amell

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst season of a TV series I've seen in years, 8 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Arrow - Season 4 [DVD] (DVD)
I should preface this by saying that I'm reviewing this season of the show, not the product or packaging as a whole, which I'm sure is fine.
What a mighty fall from grace Arrow has had. Seasons 1 and 2 were incredible, but seasons 3 and now 4 are just terrible, some of the worst television I’ve seen in recent years, the writing is complete garbage, the storylines ridiculous and worst of all is the shift from being a show about Green Arrow to now just being about the side character (created for the show) Felicity Smoak, who is selfish, self-centred and seems to have this innate ability to irritate every pore of my body. Putting a mediocre character like this to the forefront has pretty much taken away any kind of storylines from other characters, even Oliver Queen takes a backseat to Dame Smoak. Other characters like Diggle, Thea and Laurel have been almost completely forgotten about.
I won’t even go into details on the huge character death that happened into season 4, universally panned and negatively received for killing off one of the most interesting characters, and someone CENTRAL to the mythos of Green Arrow. The main producers and writers of this show are letting it die a grisly, slow, painful death. All because from what I’ve heard head writer Marc Guggenheim has an OBSESSION with Felicity and I’m not sure why. It’s very telling that the spin-off show “The Flash” is so much better than Arrow now, since the writers that used to be on Arrow through seasons 1 and 2 abandoned ship and headed to the new, younger, fresher show with better stories and characters.
The shame of it is that this show has some real talent, Stephen Amell, Katie Cassidy (gone but never forgotten) and David Ramsay are wonderful actors.
My advice for the CW? Ditch the writers and producers, bring in some fresh talent, stop listening to the small minority that is Tumblr fans and go back to making a kick-ass, action/story oriented show about the GREEN ARROW.

7/27
7/27

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Girl Group album in years!, 27 May 2016
This review is from: 7/27 (Audio CD)
It should be said I wasn’t a huge fan of their first album, “Reflection”, it had some good songs but it was mostly all over the place, I don’t think they had really found their sound yet. Now they have. And it’s glorious!
This album is fresh, modern, funky, and it has tons of attitude and sass, easily the best Western girl group album in years. Every girl finally gets the chance to shine.
It has total dancefloor anthems like “That’s My Girl”, “I Lied” and “Not That Kind Girl” as well as summer jams like “Work from Home”, “All in my Head” and “Scared of Happy”. But it also has a vulnerable side with a few slower more heartfelt tracks like “Write on Me” and “No Way”, on these tracks in particular the girls get to show off their beautiful voices. The collaborations are also really cool, we have Fetty Wap, Missy Elliot and TY Dollar Sign, all accomplished, talented rappers who add something a little extra to each song they’re a part of.
The production is also really high quality, every track sounds like it was well crafted and well put together, the album in general sounds as though a lot of money has been thrown at it, and looking at the charts right now it seems to be working as it’s currently Number One in over 50 countries on iTunes, I wish the girls all the success in the world, they’ve worked hard for it and deserve it.

Red Flag
Red Flag

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic comeback, 8 April 2016
This review is from: Red Flag (Audio CD)
A very refeshing, experimental album, not a single bad song, every track is interesting and beautifully sung with gorgeous harmonies and beautiful melodies, my only gripe is that I wish it were longer. Props to Shaznay as well for doing most of the writing, very talented woman.

Winter (The Lunar Chronicles Book 4)
Winter (The Lunar Chronicles Book 4)
by Marissa Meyer

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing end, 22 Nov. 2015
The end of the Lunar Chronicles is a sad, sad affair, on one hand, this final book was outstanding, well written, well-paced, but on the flip side I shall miss this series terribly. What an absolute, utter joy to read.
The characters are loveable and memorable, the environments interesting and unique, and you never quite know what is going to happen next.
I won’t spoil anything for anyone because that wouldn’t be fair, but it ends in the way most fairy tales do.
If I had just one criticism it would be the length of the book, it’s far larger than the others and I feel the story could have benefited more had it been split in two. Now I’m no stranger to long books, I’ve read many that are over a thousand pages long, but I feel like some chapters were a bit unnecessary. These ones in particular just a particular characters thinking through something we already know about, but the author thought to include them so as long as she sees them as necessary I guess that’s all that matters.
Ooh, and another point, I was pretty annoyed that in the last book my favourite character (Scarlet) was completely shafted. Barely appearing in the book at all, but I’m happy to confirm that in this final book the characters all get their fair share of chapters and POV’s.

Made In The A.M.  [Ultimate Fan Edition]
Made In The A.M. [Ultimate Fan Edition]

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful ending chapter, 13 Nov. 2015
I wasn't sure what to make of this album, Four for me is their peak musically, I thought that album was pure perfection. Is this as good as that? On first listen. No.
Is it still a wonderful album? HELL YES.
Thoroughly enjoyed it actually, everyone has stepped their game up vocally obviously in an attempt to make up for Zayn not being there. And I think it worked, they sound amazing. I didn't even miss his voice. It didn't ever sound like there was someone missing.
The album itself is a little on the slow side, I would have preferred maybe a couple more upbeat songs to change the flow at times. But I won't complain too much about that.
I think the album is great actually, initial highlights for me are the singles so far, Hey Angel, End of the Day, What a Feeling and Never Enough.
If this really is going to be their last album then I'm glad its this one, it's wonderful.
Just a note on the different versions, there is this version that I bought, the "Fan edition" which includes a cute little wristband and four printed autographed pictures, this one comes with the ultimate edition which you can also buy separately, then there is the standard edition, and if you go to HMV/Target you can find individual member covers, these are essentially the standard edition with a slipcase of a particular member, I was in HMV earlier and they all looked lovely but I chose Niall.

Get Weird (Deluxe)
Get Weird (Deluxe)

3.0 out of 5 stars A fun regression, 10 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Get Weird (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
I had pretty high hopes for this album, rumour goes that the group had finished recording a whole album last year but weren’t happy with it so scrapped the entire thing to star fresh, unfortunately the end result isn’t as great as was hyped.
The album starts with “Black Magic” which everyone and their aunt has heard by now, an amazing, anthemic 80’s pop stomper, possibly their best single to date.
We then bizarrely get thrown into “Love Me Like You” which, whilst nice, sounds a bit juvenile and dated, the vocals are nice and the song has a retro motown vibe that doesn’t fit with the previous track at all, but more on that later.
Track three is “Weird People”, very much in the same vein as track one, an awesome 80’s anthem packed with catchy hooks, and the final chorus is pop heaven.
Track four sees the fun songs abruptly end with “Secret Love Song” featuring Jason Derulo, this is the first actual stinker for this album, now, don’t get me wrong, the vocals are beautiful and had this just been the group it would have been great, but Derulo spoils it. A Lot. His screeching voice is very jarring when layered with autotune and then layered again over the girls’ voices, the “harmonies” end up sounding like screechy cats.
The album picks up again with “Hair” which is pretty fun and sing-a-long but overall not anything too impressive, if there is a complaint I can make of this album it’s that it feels like a regression from their previous album.
“Grown” is next which is a lot better, it’s fun and funky and picks the album up again nicely, the harmonies on the chorus are a treat.
Once again we get a random ballad in the form of “I Love You”, now I really, really like this song, the vocals are gorgeous, the chorus is emotional and it has this real 80’s power ballad feel to it, it’s just a bit randomly placed.
Next up is the worst song on the album a.k.a “OMG”, which is very Charli XCX like in that it has this horrid chanty chorus that seems to go on forever, instead of singing they sound like four girls making their way home after a night on the lash.
Next up with have “Lightning”, by far my favourite song on the album, from the awesome grimey breakdown to the beautiful operatic middle 8 what we have here is what this album should have been full of – Pop urban masterpieces.
Then we are treated with “A.D.I.D.A.S”, a really fun uptempo retro track about how all day long they think about SHHHHHH, or as we in the real world say – sex.
Lastly we have a few ballads to round out the album, and they are simply gorgeous, “Love Me or Leave Me”, “Secret Love Song Part 2”(a million times better than part 1) and “The End”, all fantastic tracks, you can really feel the sorrow in their voices, the vocals are haunting and brilliant.

Now, on the whole I suppose I enjoy this album, but it is such a regression from their previous release, Salute was incredible RnB/Pop at it’s finest, not one single bad song, I thought they had finally found their sound, and now they’ve released this. I get that they want to have fun and party but some of this is just utter dross.
Months ago the girls labelled this as an “80’s” sounding album, well colour me disappointed because I only hear three songs that sound like anything to come from that era. The album is too mixed, we go from fun tracks to having the energy completely sucked out with a random ballad sandwiched in between.
If they choose to continue this sound for their next album then I am on board as long as they refine the sound and reign back in what doesn’t work for them.

Halo 5: Guardians (Xbox One)
Halo 5: Guardians (Xbox One)

2.0 out of 5 stars A big disappointment, 27 Oct. 2015
I'm an avid Halo fan. However, this is one of the most disappointing games in the franchise so far.
The campaign is super short, maybe 5 hours? As for the multiplayer. It's bad. Nowhere near enough game types on launch, about 6 in total, and no big team battle, which was my favourite in past titles. The warzone feature is boring, the maps are boring and limited, and the requisition points are just some silly gimmick. Don't get me started on the radar and how useless it is now. It felt like some low-rent feature that COD would use.
I thought Halo 4 was bad but that was paradise compared to this. Hopefully it'll improve, I'll be certain to come back and change my review if my opinions change.

Honeymoon
Honeymoon

5.0 out of 5 stars Lana is a Goddess, 18 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Honeymoon (Audio CD)
People are saying this album takes a while to get into, that it may grow on you, and for them that may be true, but for me it was instant, in a few short words – a stunning album.
Lana’s delivery is the real highlight here, just beautiful, vocals are not one tone like I’ve seen people say, she expresses all kind of tonal output.
The songs themselves are gorgeous, such wonderful melodies and the lyrics as per usual for Lana are melancholy and tinged with despair.
The album is quite long, and if I could put just one negative it would be that some of the songs go on for a bit, they could do with being a couple of minutes shorter.
Individual track highlights for me are Honeymoon, High by the Beach, Art Deco, Salvatore and The Blackest Day and 24, all of which could have been Bond songs, Lord knows why they picked someone over here when she is clearly a perfect choice.

I Am
I Am
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars An empowered Leona, 12 Sept. 2015
This review is from: I Am (Audio CD)
Leona is back with her fifth album, and it’s fair to say I think that there are a lot of “growers” on this album.
Let me start by saying, I like every song, it is a beautifully made album, you can feel the soul and the passion in each word sung.
The album doesn’t vary much from the theme of empowerment, but I think that’s ok, it’s what Leona needs right now and an album like this will strike a chord with a good many people, myself included.
Is it her best album? No. Is it a great album that I’ll be listening too for ages? Hell yes!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5