Profile for Michael D > Reviews

Content by Michael D

Michael D (Spalding, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
The Dispatcher
The Dispatcher

3.0 out of 5 stars Preposterous set of events, but worth a look, 26 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Dispatcher (Kindle Edition)
The book certainly was a page-turner, but as it progressed it became increasingly preposterous. How could any man with a bullet hole in his lung, coughing up blood for hours on end, manage to drive 1500 miles in pursuit, then fire off shotguns and rifles at the end of the chase? It's ridiculous. Then there's the kidnapper, who is old, fat and unfit, yet he always manages to catch up with 14-year-old Maggie and grab her when she makes one of her several attempts to escape. We're supposed to believe that she couldn't outrun him? Also a ridiculous proposition.

25 x Blue Twist Greaseproof Paper Burger / Sandwich / Party / Food Wraps
25 x Blue Twist Greaseproof Paper Burger / Sandwich / Party / Food Wraps
Offered by Swoosh Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for that final touch when making a home-made burger, 13 Jan. 2015
These are perfect for adding the final touch to a home-made beefburger or sausage and egg muffin. One of the secrets of the "twin arches" is to put the filled muffin in the microwave for 20 seconds. This allows the flavours to mingle and encourages the cheese slice to melt a bit. But to do this properly, the muffin (or burger) really needs to be encased in one of these wraps. Also, even though I'm only carrying the finished item from microwave to plate, it all kind of helps the fast-food verisimilitude.

Never Go Back
Never Go Back
by Robert Goddard

2.0 out of 5 stars Very sloppy writing, 9 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Never Go Back (Paperback)
I suppose most people read these reviews before deciding whether to chance their arm with a particular book. My arm duly chanced, I borrowed it from the library and started reading. Having recently been blown away by all of Linwood Barclay's stories I was hoping to have found a new author. The first few pages in Never Go Back were not too promising, but I plodded on. The story I was reading seemed to have great affinity with boiler plates — seen one, seen 'em all. Nevertheless chapters one, two, three... twelve passed and I was at last getting involved in the tale of Harry and his mates on a train.

Look away now if you don't like spoilers, but then I read this at the end of chapter twelve: "He was never to see Mervyn Lloyd again."

Eh? Haven't we been here already with a similar cliffhanger? I turned back a few pages and sure enough, chapter eleven ends with: "Harry was never to speak to him again."

That was the second time. The first occurrence was the closing sentence of chapter five: "He was never to see Peter Askew again."

One cliffhanger I can cope with, but two exactly the same? And then ANOTHER one?

This was beginning to irritate me. In fact, I was so annoyed by then I closed the book at page 77, the start of chapter thirteen, vowing never to read another word of it. Later today the book goes back to the library where it will surely find peace on a dusty shelf for the next few years till remaindered on the trolley just inside the door.

Spear & Jackson Landscaping and Fencing Post Hole Digger
Spear & Jackson Landscaping and Fencing Post Hole Digger

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my top purchases ever!, 11 Dec. 2014
Some things one buys, then has second thoughts later. But occasionally a product pops up and you decide to buy it, and it turns out to be fantastic. This is how I'd describe the Spear & Jackson post hole digger. It's nothing short of brilliant for doing what it's designed for. I had never had to put in a fence post before and was puzzling about how to go about it, but then I remembered watching some council workers with these kinds of digging "pincer" tools, so checked out what was available on Amazon.

Well, I dug mt first fence post hole in about 20 minutes! The secret is to take *small* bites of soil at every plunge of the tool. Some customers have complained that the tool has bent out of shape, but I think that's because they're being too eager, trying to take too much soil out in one go. Don't! Just little and often, and 20 minutes later *in soft ground* you'll have a 2ft hole perfect for your fence post (or indeed other posts, such as for washing lines, aerials etc).

In harder, stony ground it may take a bit longer. With my second hole I had to contend with some tree roots, but I do have other tools, too, so a few blows with the chisel end of a crowbar quickly split those roots.

Carcase modesty connector Block (pack of 20)
Carcase modesty connector Block (pack of 20)
Offered by Suki Hardware

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, quick delivery, 11 Dec. 2014
It pays to shop around and even on Amazon numerous suppliers of the same product have wildly different prices. However, with this supplier I feel I got the best deal. These blocks, no matter where you get them from, are so useful in furniture making, provided not much strength is needed. Say, in order to fix a table top onto the table carcass, for example.

Faithfull Dowel Drill Stops 1 x 6, 8 & 10mm FAIDOWDSTOPS
Faithfull Dowel Drill Stops 1 x 6, 8 & 10mm FAIDOWDSTOPS
Offered by PVR Direct

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, not brilliant, 10 Nov. 2014
The problem with these (and probably other brands like them) is that the grub screw engages in the "twist" of the drill, thus making the drill stop skewiff. It does work, but to be perfectly honest, so does a strip of masking tape wrapped around the drill bit. I think the best drill stop is a short piece of metal tubing slightly larger than the drill bit, but it's difficult to find various diameters of metal tube!

kenable DVI-D Digital Monitor PC 18+1 pin Male to Male Cable Lead 3m GOLD
kenable DVI-D Digital Monitor PC 18+1 pin Male to Male Cable Lead 3m GOLD
Offered by kenable_ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good product supplied by Kenable, 10 Nov. 2014
This works well, and enabled me to use two monitors on one PC (other monitor is connected via VGA).

Bad Guys (Zack Walker)
Bad Guys (Zack Walker)
by Linwood Barclay
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Linwood Barclay is like a modern James Hadley Chase, 13 Oct. 2014
Totally excellent read. A real page-turner, like all Linwood Barclay's books. As a kid I read many James Hadley Chase novels. I could polish one off in an afternoon when I was 15. Linwood has quite a way to go, though, before he reaches Chase's record, which was 90 books.

Polycotton Back & Neck Support V Shaped Orthopedic/Pregnency/Nursing Pillow Case Color Teal
Offered by Shoppers Hive

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Oct. 2014
Very good value. This is the second one I've purchased from AR Linens and they deliver promptly.

Men's fully adjustable Clip on Braces / Suspenders - Navy Blue
Men's fully adjustable Clip on Braces / Suspenders - Navy Blue
Offered by Sassy You

5.0 out of 5 stars These were better than expected, 13 Oct. 2014
These were better than expected. I had bought some braces earlier in the year, which were "novelty" braces suitable for fancy dress parties, but they didn't last very long (as one would expect from a cheaper product). These navy blue braces on the other hand cost a lot more but they are much better quality, very sturdy. Shortly I shall be ordering a red pair, too.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11