Profile for Vanessa Kimbell > Reviews

Content by Vanessa Kimbell

Vanessa Kimbell (Northampton)

Page: 1 | 2
Making Bread Together - Step-by-step recipes for fun and simple breads to make with children
by Emmanuel Hadjiandreou
Price: 16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The instructions with step any step photographs are brilliant. It’s beautifully laid out and it is perfect ..., 7 July 2014
I gave this book to my 7-year-old daughter at the weekend. She was so thrilled, that before I knew it my 10 year old son and 11 year old daughter were in the kitchen, had chosen a recipe and laid out the ingredients. The instructions with step any step photographs are brilliant. It’s beautifully laid out and it is perfect for getting both children and adults together in the kitchen baking.

In all there are over 30 recipes covering a wide range of really inspiring breads and bread related recipes from packed lunch bread to pancakes and flower pot bread. All kind of exciting breads that you want to eat. The pitta breads we baked turned out beautifully and we can’t wait to try the sticky apple and cinnamon buns and the ginger bread with tiger topping.

I love that non of the recipes are the same, and I am really impressed that it’s not just easy peasy recipes.. sourdough has been included, which is one of the hardest breads to make. No bread it too difficult to try. All in all it’s a fabulous book that cannot fail to get both adults and children successfully baking a wide range of real bread together in the kitchen. Oddly enough it’s so good that you really don’t have to have a child to enjoy this book .. ( or 3 in my case,) I would happily bake from this when the children are not about.

Massive 70748/01/11 Zara 1 x 60 Watt 230 V Ceiling Lamp - Chrome
Massive 70748/01/11 Zara 1 x 60 Watt 230 V Ceiling Lamp - Chrome
Offered by BFC
Price: 13.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely quality, 12 Oct 2013
I've champagne taste and beer money left at the end of an expensive renovation .. but I am delighted with these

Half The Sky: How to Change the World
Half The Sky: How to Change the World
by Nicholas D. Kristof
Price: 12.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Bringing the stories and situations of women across the world right into the heart of the family - to the kitchen table., 26 July 2013
It's a rare thing to find a book that combines not only beauty with practicality, but also shares profit and principle.
Perhaps the single most relevant thing that this book achieves is to share the narrative of women on war torn countries through the recipes and photography, bringing home their hopes, fears, stories and situations right into the heart of the family to the kitchen table - which is a great place to change the world we live in.
I've found the recipes delicious and straight forward to cook with clear instructions. The ingredients are accessible and the dishes are sensible family friendly and highly cookable. Easy soda bread, family spaghetti Bolognese, magical creole banana cake to spicy cashew tomato soup .. the curries are fantastic, the photography is stunning and the quality of the book is without compromise.
As a sister I cried as i read the words of one young woman brutal story that told of the hope she found.
As a woman I am inspired.
As a daughter I will share this book to all my friends and family.
As a mother I will be cooking many of the recipes.
10/10

Kinfolk Vol. 8
Kinfolk Vol. 8
by Nathan Williams
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this style, 8 July 2013
This review is from: Kinfolk Vol. 8 (Paperback)
I love this magazine. It's fresh, full of style and gives me loads of original ideas. It' not overly American too .

Ndali Fairtrade Organic Vanilla Powder 13 g
Ndali Fairtrade Organic Vanilla Powder 13 g

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the bet Vanilla Powder in the World., 4 April 2013
I've been using this Vanilla Powder for some time now. It's utterly delicious, with far more depth of flavour than any essence I've ever used. I use a tea spoon in my scones, which makes them absolutely divine especially when combined with strawberry jam and cream. I use it in Pane cotta as the powder makes these beautiful flecks. Half a teaspoon in a smoothie is incredible. Muffins, banana ice cream and pancakes, and whipping it straight into cream is out of this world. .... Oh I could go on and on, however the main things I would say are:

1) it is really easy to use.
2) It has a really deep flavour with caramel tones. You can see the vanillin crystals in the powder shimmering as you sprinkle.
3) It is a really efficient way to use vanilla .. one post goes a really long way.

It is also Fairtrade and organic, and I really love being able to make a small difference in the world when I am baking.

Rococo: Mastering the Art of Chocolate
Rococo: Mastering the Art of Chocolate
by Chantal Coady
Price: 28.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The best chocolate recipe book I've ever cooked from, 1 Dec 2012
I've had this book for just a few weeks now and cooked 5 recipes so far. It's really the best chocolate book i've ever come across ..and I have quite collection!

Without exception the recipes are clearly written, with straight forward instructions that are clearly written to be cooked in real life.

The illustrations are beautiful and the presentation is frankly gorgeous .. but at the end of the day what I really love about this book ( aside from being utterly beautiful) is that these fabulous recipes are cookable, achievable and delicious.

Highly recommended.

The Kitchen Diaries II
The Kitchen Diaries II
by Nigel Slater
Price: 12.00

5.0 out of 5 stars it is a beautiful, delicious, practical work of art., 29 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Kitchen Diaries II (Hardcover)
I couldn't wait even a day for this book .. so I popped to a local bookstore and bought it. Nigel's new book is an absolute treat to read. The style is consistent with the previous diary, but this book is closer in design to the Tender volumes. It is a work of art, with an exquisite font, textured cover and heavy paper. It is in every sense beautiful, but I don't want to to just sit on the bookshelf ... I want to bring it to life by cooking lunch from it so I head home via Waitrose and cook the Chicken and Parsley Pie. Nigel's recipes have a structure, a simplicity, and use uncomplicated delicious combinations . The pie was utterly delicious.

it is a beautiful, delicious, practical work of art.

Don't hesitate, buy it - I promise you will be delighted.

The Contented Cook: Fuss-free Food Throughout the Year
The Contented Cook: Fuss-free Food Throughout the Year
by Xanthe Clay
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The kind of book you go back to over and over again, 18 Sep 2012
Xanthe's book The Contented Cook is exactly the kind of book I can lose myself in. The photographs are just beautiful, and the recipes are practical. For someone who has many cookbooks I find myself lost in deciding what to cook .. bit not this one... I want to cook everything in it.

You see the recipes in the book are practical in every sense of the word. They are as you would expect from Xanthe well thought out and in a sensible order, but there is more than that. It's classily perfectly written to make me feel I can and will cook from it. I earmarked the Hot and Sour Noodle Soup, the Squishy Almond cake and the Pan-fried Onglet with Fennel Seed Roast Potatoes and am off to the butcher to buy the beef right now.

I love love love it.

A History of Food in 100 Recipes
A History of Food in 100 Recipes
by William Sitwell
Price: 13.40

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put it down. I sat up in bed reading until my eyeballs could take no more., 13 April 2012
No self respecting foodies bookshelf should be without this book sitting in a prominent position on their bookshelf Why? Because it is fabulous, witty, informative, unique and incredibly readable as well as being a really beautiful object in it's own right.

Descended from a long line of writers William is acknowledged as one of the UK's best food writers as the editor of Waitrose Kitchen, there is not much he doesn't know about the British food scene. From the moment I got my copy of The History of Food in 100 Recipes I couldn't put it down. I sat up in bed reading until my eyeballs could take no more. There are moments in history that jump out as being key .. From bread making in ancient Egypt, cheesecakes in ancient Greece, the discovery of chocolate all the way to to the invention of the Kenwood chef and Nigella's cupcakes each chapter is a story in it's own right and William has brought these game changing moments together in this lovely looking book. It is meticulously researched .. it is full of the most interesting stories about passionate foodies . Whilst I'll admit that I have always found history dry and dusty as a subject William brings it all to life - It is fresh, colorful, delicious, funny in places, easy to read yet there is serious depth to it .. I love it.

It really is absolutely the best book I've read in years. It would be the most perfect gift for any food lover and if you only buy one recipe book this year make it this one and keep it at the front of your bookcase!

Cooking without Recipes
Cooking without Recipes
by Philip Dundas
Price: 6.92

4.0 out of 5 stars The book I will give to each of my children the day they leave home, 2 Feb 2012
To be honest I am astonished after reading about this book in the telegraph and such great reviews in the papers that there are, so far, just a few reviews. I couldn't put it down ! This book is written with such grace, humour and intrinsic knowledge of food and all things delicious that even as a professional chef I loved and learnt from this wonderful book. So if you are reading this and dithering about whether to buy it, don't .. click buy it because I can't recommend it highly enough. It's a treasure.

Page: 1 | 2