Profile for Ms. J. Jacobs > Reviews

Content by Ms. J. Jacobs

Ms. J. Jacobs (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Whitechapel, Spitalfields and the Bank 1873: London Sheet 063.1 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of London)
by Alan Godfrey
Edition: Map

4.0 out of 5 stars You'll need a magnifying glass..., 6 Jun 2014
This is a great resource - all the old streets are there (many of them long gone) - but the scale is tiny (or do I mean huge?) - anyway, what I mean is, it's very cramped and tiny so hard to read without a magnifying glass or very young eyes! Hence four stars rather than five.

I'd happily pay twice as much for the same map printed twice as large.

Living Faithfully: Following Christ in Everyday Life
Living Faithfully: Following Christ in Everyday Life
by John Pritchard

5.0 out of 5 stars "Does what it says on the tin", 6 Jun 2014
Having read Pritchard's excellent book "God Lost and Found" I was looking forward to this and although it is a very different book, I wasn't at all disappointed. This really is a book which tackles how you can bring your faith into your day-to-day life and also how faith helps you tackle not just the big issues but the smaller issues which we face on a daily basis too,

Each chapter follows a similar format; first the issue (for example, money, sex, politics, shopping, justice, marriage, friendship, life on a finite planet, death) is defined, the problem pinpointed; then there's a section asking, how could we think about this, bringing in facts, references, quotes; then a section on what we could do differently; a few apt quotations from a vast variety of sources; an "anchor passage" from the Bible; then discussion questions (the book would make a great study course for group work, and is clearly written with that in mind, but is equally fine to tackle by yourself) and finally a directional prayer. Each chapter is quite short and an easy read; there's no padding whatsoever, the text is punchy, pithy and full of meat and muscle.

For anyone who wants to live their faith but isn't sure how to do so, for anyone who wonders how faith can be relevant in a modern world, for anyone who, having been sent out on a Sunday starts floundering on a Monday, this book is a very welcome and useful manual. Highly recommended.

STYLEYOURMOBILE SAMSUNG GALAXY FAME S6810 PU LEATHER MAGNETIC FLIP CASE SKIN COVER POUCH + SCREEN PROTECTOR +STYLUS (Red Book)
Offered by eFEEL

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 6 Jun 2014
I love my bright red phone case! Street sellers in town are selling boring cases at twice the price - this was great value, the bright colour means it won't get lost in my bag, and the handy cut-outs mean I can take photos with the phone in the case. Plus the stylus may come in handy. Unbeatable value! (And fast delivery.)

Michelangelo: Paintings, Sculpture, Architecture
Michelangelo: Paintings, Sculpture, Architecture
by Ludwig Goldscheider

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive volume, 18 Feb 2014
There are more recent Michelangelo books, and books in full colour; but the photos in this volume of the statues in particular, in black and white, are breath-taking and for that reason I still prefer this to my more recent books on Michelangelo. If you're particularly interested in the paintings, you may prefer a more recently-published book with up-to-date colour photography. But if you're into the statues, I don't think you'll regret going for the Goldscheider book.

Felt Sheets jumbo pack of 50 A4 sheets of felts in 8 colours
Felt Sheets jumbo pack of 50 A4 sheets of felts in 8 colours
Offered by Bombay Collections

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't go by the picture!, 30 Aug 2012
The image shows a stack of pieces of felt of many and various shades and colours. In the pack I got, there were only eight different colours, all very strong, no pastel shades, whereas in the image there are, for example, six shades of blue (there was one in my pack) and many shades of pink and orange (NONE in the pack). If you're happy with multiple sheets of black, dark brown, white, red, dark blue, purple, yellow and deep green, this pack may be what you're looking for, but I'm very disappointed and will be sending it back.

Leaving Alexandria: A Memoir of Faith and Doubt
Leaving Alexandria: A Memoir of Faith and Doubt
by Richard Holloway

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest and compelling read, 5 Mar 2012
Richard Holloway always writes lucidly and in this memoir he is always engaging. The overwhelming impression was of someone of unusual honesty and integrity, telling the story of his life without spin and without trying to make a case for the defence. There are no barriers, or none that I could detect, in the issues he tackles, although this is not a blow-by-blow account of his personal life but more of his emotional and intellectual wrestling with the various problems, situations and issues with which he has had to deal - which range widely, encompassing (amongst others) sex, ethics, religion, faith, family, ideals and falling short. Although his personal life, of course, comes into it too.

I was torn between reading this voraciously in one sitting and spinning it out so as not to have to leave the company of such a wonderful man. In the end I couldn't put it down - a fabulous read, highly recommended.

The Spirit Level: Why Equality Is Better For Everyone
The Spirit Level: Why Equality Is Better For Everyone
by Richard Wilkinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Sane, humane, compelling, 14 Dec 2011
I've just finished the book, and the thing that struck me most forcefully was just how "right" their analysis felt - I recognised it almost as if I'd known it all along, even though in fact that idea that virtually EVERYONE, not just the poor, benefits from a more equal society was completely new to me.

And this is what makes it so much a book for us now, in our current dilemma - if our society were more equal, then we really would feel as if we "were all in it together" whereas instead, the idea is ridiculous and the more Cameron spouts it, the more out of touch with reality he seems. We know - it's fact - that our society is getting more unequal with every new bit of legislation that's passed. The poor are being hit hardest. While this situation is allowed to continue, while policy fosters and worsens the situation, we are becoming more fragmented, more fearful and our general quality of life - levels of trust and happiness - are diminishing daily.

Although this isn't the thrust of the book, clearly a more equal society would also be a cheaper society to run - lower healthcare costs, less spending on prisons etc. But the time is right for this simply from the point of view of prudence!

When Cameron came to power, I seem to recall him setting great store by how happy we all were. Give us a more equal society and you'll ratchet up our happiness levels! Mind you, he hasn't said much about happiness lately. I also recall in the run up to the elections, him suggesting that top public servants should get no more than 20 times the salary of the lowest paid public sector worker. Again that seems to have died a death - and having one rule for the public sector and another for the private was never going to work in any case. But if he'd only roll that out for everyone, public and private, that would be a start. 20 times is still a hell of a disparity, but it would be less than currently exists. It would be a step towards a more equal society. Clearly you either have to achieve greater equality either up front, through pay, or subsequently, through tax. But we could have lower taxes if pay was more equal to begin with, and if we weren't plagued by all the problems of unequal societies with which we have to deal.

Adverse times can breed community spirit and pulling together, as happened during the Second World War (when society got a lot more equal). Then we could subscribe to the idea that we were all in it together. Not now we can't, because we know we're not. But this isn't just bad for the poor, it's bad for all of us. If I could afford it, I'd buy a copy of this book as a Christmas present for every member of Parliament, whatever their party!

Etcetera
Etcetera
by Sibella Court

5.0 out of 5 stars Just beautiful, 15 Sep 2010
This review is from: Etcetera (Hardcover)
This is one of the most gorgeous, carefully-produced books I have ever seen. From the thick card covers, printed in a way that makes them look hand done, then wrapped in brown paper, to the inside of the book, this is a labour of love. Every page is either a wonderful photograph, a collage of type-written notes, stamped images, edges of lace, luggage tags and wingdings or a mixture of all of these. The hand-typed words are printed on pattern paper, sacking, tracing paper and little notes. The whole thing is a lavishly-photographed scrapbook, a treasure you might stumble across in an old trunk in a dusty attic.

It's not for those who like their interiors slick and smart as fresh new paint. This is a book for collectors who didn't know where to stop, for hoarders, for magpies, for devotees of junk shops and car boot sales. Through the alchemy of the stylist's eye, a hotchpotch of miscellaneous objects, many of little or no intrinsic value (shells, stones, feathers, trinkets, old photos, strings of beads, birds' nests, ribbons) is transformed into ravishing interiors full of quirky interest. Somehow, Sibella Court brings a discipline to her random collections, rendering the mundane, magical. Hopefully, some of her skills will eventually rub off on me. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy this wonderful book.

Education, Edukation, Edukashun
Education, Edukation, Edukashun
by James Rainsford

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreadable, 6 Feb 2010
I haven't managed to get very far with this, which I bought because of all the glowing reviews from customers. I feel I have to redress the balance in case there are others out there like me who may appreciate another point of view before they part with their cash.

What stops me getting into it is the appalling punctuation - a random use of commas and a text peppered with exclamation marks. The stylistic quirks intrude on the story so as to make it unreadable as far as I am concerned. A good editor could have helped. I take it Mr Rainsford is not an English teacher (at least I hope not) as the over-use of exclamation marks was one of the first crimes against literature of which I was made aware as a child.

I'm sure Mr Rainsford has an interesting tale to tell, but I can't get past the off-putting style. Pity.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 16, 2011 3:24 PM BST

PopCo
PopCo
by Scarlett Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping read, 6 Feb 2010
This review is from: PopCo (Paperback)
I'd already read "The End of Mr Y", and thoroughly enjoyed it, although I'd been slightly disappointed with the ending, which didn't, in my opinion, live up to the rest of the book. But Scarlett Thomas had produced something intelligent, pacey and different, so I thought I'd give this previous novel a try.

I'm really glad I did - it was excellent, just as gripping and interesting as "The End of Mr Y", but with a totally satisfactory ending. I also learnt something about codes - and she's brilliant at telling you things without either interfering with the pace or making you feel you're being lectured - and look forward to trying the vegan cake recipe when my vegan friend comes to dinner.

Now to try some more of the back catalogue while hoping she's well on with a new offering!

Page: 1 | 2