Profile for K. Dunstan > Reviews

Content by K. Dunstan

K. Dunstan "triantha" (Bath, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Trixie Grass mat for degus/rats, 40  28 cm
Trixie Grass mat for degus/rats, 40 28 cm
Offered by Personalised Pet Products
Price: 4.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Rats, 17 Jun 2014
The rats seem to love this as It makes a nice hammock-style platform, and they enjoy eating the grass material. I like it because they don't seem to urinate on it, and it still smells fresh after being in the cage for a week so far.

Big Cheese STV162 Live Catch Multi Mouse Trap Small
Big Cheese STV162 Live Catch Multi Mouse Trap Small
Offered by LightingandMobileAccessoriesUK
Price: 1.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Successfully caught a mouse, 22 Aug 2013
We used this to successfully catch a mouse, although I can't say for sure that it wouldn't have figured out an escape eventually. Initially, the mouse seemed uninterested - running through the tunnel and climbing over the trap - but after I baited the top of the sloping ramp (rather than just the inside of the trap)with kit-kat crumbs glued in place with honey, he was in there within a few hours. The mouse was only in there for a couple of hours max, but had not nibbled at the trap or made an escape attempt. My advice is to put a lot of chocolate spread inside and you'll have a happy mouse.

Veet Warm Wax Microwavable Jar - Essential Oils - 250 ml
Veet Warm Wax Microwavable Jar - Essential Oils - 250 ml
Price: 5.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, But needs the right technique., 26 July 2013
This product works really well, but needs to be used the correct way. After heating the jar, it takes at least 30-45min to cool back down to a usable temperature, and it can be tempting to use it too hot. The indicator on the spatula is not that useful, so my advice is to test on your inner arm and at the time the wax is bearable on the skin...go away for 10-15min. The first time I used it, it was too hot - not hot enough to burn me or cause pain, but the indicator still read NO!. This is not only bad for the skin, but the wax does not grip the hair as well, and the result I got was about the same as a cold wax strip (disappointing). The second time, I left it until it was only just warm on the skin - I could barely notice the temperature on my leg - and it pulled out every single hair. The spatula is very useful, it is concave on one side to allow spreading the wax onto the leg, which isn't a flat surface. I can see how some reviewers were confused on how to use it, but there are instructions in the pack. The water solubility of the wax is fantastic, and a baby wipe can easily remove any spots of wax that get on anything. Lastly, my legs aren't irritated at all by this product, unlike with the Veet wax strips, and the pain is nowhere near as bad.

LADIES NEW BLUE 50S VINTAGE NAUTICAL SAILOR ROCKABILLY SWING PARTY PROM DRESS
LADIES NEW BLUE 50S VINTAGE NAUTICAL SAILOR ROCKABILLY SWING PARTY PROM DRESS

4.0 out of 5 stars lovely dress, 24 July 2013
Thus dress is very nice, and the company that dispatches them is simply fantastic. They are very helpful and polite, and sorted out a mix up with the wrong dress being sent very quickly. The only reason for the 4 stars rather than 5 is the ridiculous sizing. I reckon these clothes are designed to be worn over corsetry, since I am normally a 12-14 and had to get a 16 (I requested to change my order from a 14 and am glad I did). The 16 dress is identical across the waist to a size 12R dress I have from M&S, who do have sizes on the large side. I would estimate it is actually a small size 14, so always order a size larger and ignore the size charts above. The incorrect dress I received was a polka dot shirt style dress, and that fitted nicely in a 14 so I think it's just an issue with this specific dress.

Mine also didn't come with the white belt, I'm not sure why.

White sailor hat with sequin anchor
White sailor hat with sequin anchor
Offered by XS-Stock Com Ltd
Price: 6.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 24 July 2013
Good quality and fits me perfectly, it also arrived very quickly! I do have a small head, so if you know you are bit on the larger size head-wise, it may not be suitable for you. The anchor doesn't look naff at all.

Maxell Rhythmz In Ear Headphones White
Maxell Rhythmz In Ear Headphones White
Offered by Discs4all
Price: 5.23

1.0 out of 5 stars Like listening through a thin wall, 10 Jan 2013
I had an emergency set of these from Wilkinsons, and they are some the worst headphones I have eaver heard. Dull, flat, muffled sound. Not sure if I have a duff pair, but they are absolutely awful. I will be taking them straght back. They are not worth the risk, Exspect make some that are excellent for only 5.

The Long Earth
The Long Earth
by Terry Pratchett
Price: 13.18

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and evocative, 27 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Long Earth (Hardcover)
Most reviewers seem disappointed by the lack of Pratchett in this novel, but it's certainly there in both the characters (one of the main players is pure Pratchett humour), and the premise. Any readers of the Science of the Discworld novels will recognise here Pratchett's fascination with both human evolution (physical and social), and with the "many worlds" theory. Having said that, there are no places where the seams between the writer's work can be noticed, so you're left with a flavour of Pratchett all the way through the cool, clear and evocative writing style. The Long Earth is a Tardis of a book, leaving a great impression of space and fresh air in the mind of the reader. This is perfect for the subject matter, millions of parallel earths bereft of the touch of humanity. It does feel a little like the wide, dull prairies described within, however; as there're quite a lot of places in the story where the pace slackens and the book becomes a little bland. The characters, in particular, never seem to be in any meaningful danger despite their pioneering journey. Character interaction could have also used a little more depth, although the tensions and struggles of groups of people are well fleshed out.

Overall, I really enjoyed the story. The book is a credit to the collaboration, and pleasantly full of potential. It's a book very proud of its amazing setting, which is thrust to the forefront at all opportunities. As this is the set-up for a series (potentially), the characters inevitably have to take a backseat to the masterful construction of the sets and backdrops of a multiverse primed for infinite exploration. Hopefully in future books we can delve further into the deeps of both the Long Earth itself, and the burgeoning rifts in human society.

Surface Detail
Surface Detail
by Iain M. Banks

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Culture Novel, 13 Jan 2011
This review is from: Surface Detail (Hardcover)
I very much enjoyed reading this book, for all of it's massive length it didn't feel drawn out or flat in any places. This book is a slight change to the usual format of the Culture novels, favouring a more expansive ensemble cast then usual, which some of the other reviewers here seem to feel was spread a little too thin. In the end though, I didn't care that a couple of the characters were a little lightly sketched, because the core characters were truly excellent. Some deserve special mention, including the ship Falling Outside The Usual Moral Constraints (for all that this is an irritating mental mouthful to read), by far my favourite ship since the Grey Area, and the Space Martial Vatueil (in all of his incarnations).

The plot is also a stunner, I really liked the concept of another (possibly even larger than the Real) Universe being present in the virtual afterlife. It does suffer slightly from being as twisty as a four-dimensional corkscrew, and at no point are you allowed to relax into the story. I also found the introduction of other Culture-Equivalent civilisations to be a great enhancement to the book, as they were my favourite bit of Matter by far. This book far exceeds Matter in terms of quality, storyline and characters, and I would rate it almost as highly as Excession and Look to Windward (my two favourite Culture books so far).

Fujifilm Finepix F200EXR Digital Camera - Black (12MP, 5x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera for all occasions, 25 May 2010
I was prompted to get this camera after taking dark and blurry shots at my friend's wedding (with an old Sony Cybershot). I was enticed by the low-light performance reputation of this camera, and it hasn't disappointed. In EXR mode, the camera can adjust night and evening shots to capture background details and natural light. While this inevitably means upping the ISO setting and increasing noise, the compensation is a picture which is true to life. In auto mode, the flash can light up a low light scene as bright as day, and so give bright colours and sharp faces, if the more true-colour EXR is too noisy for your tastes.

For outside shots with better lighting, the camera produces very sharp pictures, with an excellent colour range. In cloudy conditions, an impressive degree of detail and contrast is retained in the clouds, and scenes are still captured sharply. Compared to my old camera, skin tones are truer and pictures much less soft.

I would recommend this camera for those who like to fiddle with settings, because although the EXR mode will take a great picture 9 times out of 10, it helps to have a programmed AUTO mode that you know is a good alternative. All of the settings you need are there, but menus can sometimes be confusing or poorly explained. I found I could set a limit on the ISO setting without help, but needed instruction to set manual shot times for tripod use. All in all, the camera is a great all-rounder.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great boots for the price, 27 Nov 2009
These boots are excellent value for the price, they fit very nicely and are comfortable. The elasticated panel on the back is very good, as it allows me to get a pair of thin jeans on underneath. I was also impressed by the grippy and flexible sole, which seems very well made.

The only issues you may have with these boots are the fact that they're quite tapered at the toe (so not great for very wide feet), and don't have a lot of shock absorbance. I got myself a pair of Boots gel insoles, and now I feel I could wear them every day, so that's easily resolved.

Page: 1 | 2