Profile for R. Bland > Reviews

Content by R. Bland

R. Bland (Dunblane, Perthshire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Osram 64402 150 W Halogen Bulb, Warm White
Osram 64402 150 W Halogen Bulb, Warm White

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 Feb. 2013
A high-quality bulb at a good price. We use this bulb in floor-standing uplighters, and it gives a beautiful clear light. Can be hard to find in shops, so it's good to see it online.

A Shilling For Candles
A Shilling For Candles

2.0 out of 5 stars Feeble, 18 Jan. 2013
Some of Tey's books are fine (e.g. Brat Farrar, or The Franchise Affair) but this is insipid, and the denouement is ridiculous.

Panasonic DMC-SZ1EB-K Compact Digital Camera - Black (16.1MP, 10x Optical Zoom, 25mm LEICA Lens and HD Movie)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 18 Jan. 2013
My wife suggested I bought this when we went on a trip to China, rather than lugging our DSLR about. She was right. The pictures are fine and I can do what I want by way of adjusting the exposure, notional film speed etc. The only minus, as with any camera like this, is that the screen is hard to see if the photographer is lit by bright sunshine.

Cleanit Universal Protection Sock for iPod, iPhone and MP3 - Black/Grey Stripe
Cleanit Universal Protection Sock for iPod, iPhone and MP3 - Black/Grey Stripe

4.0 out of 5 stars Works very well, 18 Jan. 2013
I bought this for a Lumix SZ1. It fits very well, and is convenient because you can take it off very quickly and stuff it in a pocket. The only problem is that you may turn-on the camera when putting it into the sock. I always switch the camera to playback before putting it away in case this happens. (The camera then just times-out and doesn't try to extend the lens inside the sock.)

Dowland: Complete Lute Music
Dowland: Complete Lute Music

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful music, great price, 18 Jan. 2013
This is four CDs of great music, very well played, for £13. How could anyone go past it? Invest now.

Samsung S22B300HS 21.5 inch Widescreen LED Monitor - Gloss Black (1920 x 1080 Full HD, 5ms, HDMI/VGA)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 18 Jan. 2013
I bought this to use with a MacBook, and hope to use it with a Mac Mini, once I've bought the Mini. It is wonderful value and the picture is beautifully crisp. I'm using a mini-DVI to HDMI adapter plus a HDMI cable. If like me you are using it with a MacBook, don't let the monitor echo the laptop display, otherwise the picture will be blurry (because not at the native resolution of the monitor). Instead, make sure that the monitor has the dock and the menu bar, then shut the lid of the laptop (really).

Logitech K340 Wireless Keyboard
Logitech K340 Wireless Keyboard

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for a PC: not for a Mac, 18 Jan. 2013
This is a good piece of kit, which turned out wrong for me. It would work wonderfully with a PC, but with my MacBook many of the punctuation characters didn't correspond with what appeared on the screen. I had thought I would be able to fix this with software, but no. It came from a reseller who was very good about taking it back.

Pièges et difficultés de la langue française
Pièges et difficultés de la langue française
by Jean Girodet

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic but tough reading, 18 Jan. 2013
This is a standard reference book. It shows very clearly how the French think there's a right and a wrong way to use French, and that the right way can be codified and written down: quite different from English speakers.

La langue française : Règles, pièges et curiosités en 335 quiz
La langue française : Règles, pièges et curiosités en 335 quiz
by Pascale Cheminée

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard work, 18 Jan. 2013
I bought this because I thought it might help me learn French. But it's really aimed at native speakers. The games aren't going to be much fun for learners.

42 Etudes ou caprices: Etude No. 5 in E-Flat Major
42 Etudes ou caprices: Etude No. 5 in E-Flat Major

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but dull, 18 Jan. 2013
I bought this because I wanted to know more about the composer. It is too obviously an exercise to be good listening.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3