Profile for Ian R. Foster > Reviews

Absolute Sandman V.3
Absolute Sandman V.3
by Neil Gaiman

5.0 out of 5 stars Brief Lives is worth the price., 27 May 2012
This review is from: Absolute Sandman V.3 (Hardcover)
Neil Gaiman protests against the hollow lives which modern day human beings live through, as well as simultaneously deconstructing the idea of anthropormophic representation as a meaningful method of explaining the universe. Genius.

Coraline
Coraline
Offered by Music-Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, 20 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Coraline (Audio CD)
Sometimes it is frightening, sometimes it has a beauty about it. A bright wonder, giving way to a mature sense of danger and risk.

Sometimes it recalls previous themes so subtly that you might not notice it were doing so if it weren't for the song titles. Dangerous Garden and Fantastic Garden, what's the difference? How are they connected? Same with Wybie and Wybie That Talks. Dreaming and Mechanical Lullaby.

It drags us in, as it climbs to a climax. And when it's over you want to hear it again.

Silent Hill Volume 2
Silent Hill Volume 2
Offered by YES!JAPAN

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 15 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Silent Hill Volume 2 (Audio CD)
At first I found this music to be frightening, but after more than one listen, it turned into one of my favourite CDs. Extraordinarily beautiful.

Sometimes sublime, sometimes terrifying, always original, and pure genius.

Paprika: Music from the
Paprika: Music from the

3.0 out of 5 stars Spooky and inventive., 13 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Paprika: Music from the (Audio CD)
I have a little bit of a problem with the ordering of the tracks on this CD, but I love it for the tracks I bought it for.

1. Parade is a funky scary pop song, the lyrics are included in the sleeve but I would have liked this for other songs too.

2. Meditational Field is one of a trilogy with A Drop Filled with Memories and The Girl from Byakkoya. This track introduces the themes.

3. The Blind Spot in a Corridor is a really creepy track which clashes unpleasantly with the high I had from the last track.

4. Welcome to the Circus is a horrible track, which clashes even worse with the previous track.

5. A Tree in the Dark is a warm, instrumental piece that I like. Not as spooky as its title suggests.

6. Escapee has a great sense of pace and pursuit about it, but a bit repetitive.

7. Lounge, just taking a break.

8. The Shadow builds suspense and isolation. These two tracks divide the CD into two parts I think.

9. A Drop Filled with Memories is the second part of a trilogy, it restates the theme from Meditational Field with a more chilled out, relaxed feel this time.

10. Chaser is a change of pace from the previous track, fast and intense.

11. Prediction is another creepy track, builds up to a sound that sounds an awful lot like a gunshot.

12. Parade (instrumental) is a reprise of the title track, this time without lyrics. It feels like the first part of the epilogue to the CD.

13. The Girl in Byakkoya is the best track on the CD, and a conclusion to both the CD as a whole and the trilogy I mentioned. Beautiful and complex, it is also catchy and this time has a joyful, free tone.

While I was not comfortable with a couple of the tracks and their positionings, I am not sure where I would have put them because they seem out of place with the rest of the music but must be included because after all, it is a soundtrack CD. I was generally impressed by this CD's sense of narrative and the really enjoyable, original sound of the music.

Beethoven: The 'Late' String Quartets (Tokyo String Quartet)
Beethoven: The 'Late' String Quartets (Tokyo String Quartet)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 13 Sept. 2011
This is the indispensable version of this music, everything about it is excellent.

Opus 127 evokes that sense that you are standing still but still have that sense of being tilted. Quite ethereal.

Opus 131 has the best version of the Grosse Fugue that I have ever heard, the way this piece pulls a climax that makes sense, out of such apparent chaos, is not to everyone's taste perhaps, but if you like it you will really love it. This track is what made me purchase the CD.

Opus 135 made me laugh when it got to the final moment, I don't know why but it just did somehow.

The playing is impeccable and you can tell they have the very best instruments, my only regret is that multiple repeated playings have worn down the sound quality. Possibly my favourite CD in my collection. Amazing playing, extraordinary pieces, and nobody's ever done them quite like this before. Five stars.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 19, 2013 11:09 AM BST

Silent Hill 3
Silent Hill 3

4.0 out of 5 stars A dreadful journey, 13 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Silent Hill 3 (Audio CD)
Not for the faint of heart, this album, it evokes a sense of pain and memory, dread and paranoia, it feels like a journey through darker places than you or I would want to go, it gets under your skin, but returns us to a safe normality.

Very effective, I don't own any other music which can scare me like this.

Favourite tracks are the wonderfully understated End of Small Sanctuary, and Hometown. The first is so understated you can forget it's playing, and the second moved me that I was back in the real world, at last, but would never see it the same way. I also enjoy the two pop songs, You're Not Here, and the studio mix of I Need Love. Very catchy, but to my mind, somewhat out of place. Finally, I must admire Innocent Moon, as it really makes you feel like you're being watched, something in the timbre.

An excellent album, it left me feeling edgy.