Profile for Lily Wren > Reviews

Content by Lily Wren

Lily Wren (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Dying Place (Di Murphy & Ds Rossi 2)
The Dying Place (Di Murphy & Ds Rossi 2)
by Luca Veste

3.0 out of 5 stars The A-Z of Liverpool., 1 May 2016
A good story but sometimes I felt the descriptions of places, street names and so forth were a bit overdone. I've read a few reviews of the book an this hasn't been mentioned so I think it must be a personal thing to me! I sometimes felt I was reading an A-Z rather than a crime novel. I do understand why the author would feel it was necessary to provide the reader (and characters) with some geographical context however, I felt that it was sometimes a little overdone and unecessary. Incidentally, I have spent the last 2 years working around Merseyside and I don't feel the naming of all the street and town places really added to the story or setting of the scene to be honest. Not sure what folks outside the area would feel. Anyway, that's my only bug bear and as I say it looks like it's a personal one. What can I say, I'm a bit of a grouch...

Trendy Warm Chunky Soft Stretch Cable Knit Slouchy Beanie Skully HAT20A, Teal
Trendy Warm Chunky Soft Stretch Cable Knit Slouchy Beanie Skully HAT20A, Teal
Offered by NY Fashion101

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely colour and material but a bit snug for me, 27 Jan. 2016
Lovely colour and material, although a smaller fit than expected. My head size is relatively small but I was slightly disappointed that it didn't seem to fit me in the 'slouch' style expected or noted in the picture.

Anker® TC940 Ultra-Thin Keyboard Cover for iPad 4 / 3 / 2 - Smart Cover and Built-in 800mAh Lithium Battery
Offered by AnkerDirect

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars From the older laydie..., 20 Sept. 2012
I've read a lot of reviews from younger people or folks who have bought these for their daughter so I just wanted to add a view from a woman who has bought them for herself as I love the Converse brand and have several pairs.
I got a pair of all black ones (which I couldn't find on here this morning) and love them. They are very comfy and being all black I can wear them for work without too many stares.

The only downfall for me, and possibly why I wanted to write this review, is I still find the boots hard to get on, even with the back zip. I think if you are 12 years old and have slim calves it is a breeze! But for me with, er, more muscly calves it is still hard to get the zips all the way up without a) breaking into a sweat b) swearing c) writhing around the floor to try and get the leg in the best position so you can pull the zip up d) finally seeing sense, giving up on that idea before loosening all the laces at the front so you can zip them up.

Otherwise I love them :)

The Psychopath Test
The Psychopath Test
by Jon Ronson

4.0 out of 5 stars A world run by psychopaths..., 13 July 2012
This review is from: The Psychopath Test (Paperback)
Not an impossible thought....

The first non-fiction book I have read in a while and it didn't disappoint. I love Ronson's affable, easy going, self-deprecating writing style and will certainly be seeking out more of his books. The Psychopath Test offers an interesting viewpoint into psychopathy. It's incredible to think how the diagnosis rests upon tick boxing up to a list of 20 characteristics of The Hare Psychopathy Checklist (the diagnostic tool used to rate a person's psychopathic or antisocial tendencies). In all honesty most of us would be able to at least tick a couple of tendencies on the list however, prior to its' introduction diagnosis, was even more subjective.

The theme running through the book is the investigation into the possibility of how certain people in positions of power may actually be psychopaths or at least have psychopathic tendencies. When we imagine a psychopath we are probably thinking about someone who has killed or physically hurt someone. Rostron poses the theory that there are psychopaths who walk among us and may work with us, who are focused on power and leadership and making their way in the world through manipulation, domination and control. They may be in high powered jobs and essentially do not care about what they are doing to other people and society. This is a scary thought and I ended up thinking of leaders and managers who could fit into the boxes of the Hare test....

Goodness me! Imagine a country or multi-national company being run by a psychopathic leader, your own boss being a psychopath!? I'm sure it isn't beyond the realms of possibility. It's certainly an interesting viewpoint and whilst I don't think we can start to put all the ills of the world down to psychopathic managers and leaders it certainly made me think and look at the world with different eyes. If this is indeed the case it is comforting to know that there really is sod all I can do about it and so I need to create a life in my own bubble seeking to find the switch to 'blissful ignorance' and turning it to the 'on' position...

Fly London Maos, Women's Boots
Fly London Maos, Women's Boots
Price: £105.35 - £135.00

3.0 out of 5 stars That high instep problem, 12 Aug. 2011
Oh my, I have wanted a pair of these boots for the last year or so since I saw a friends pair! I even tried hers on at the time (size 4 like me)her boots were well worn in, I managed to get my feet in. However, I just didn't have enough money so have waited and waited until the price came down.

Oh, then imagine my joy when I saw them at £44 on sale here! I rushed to click and buy but missed the couple of reviews I really should have read. They were delivered the next day (always great delivery from Amazon!) but after 2 days of trying to get my little size 4 feet into them I have had to admit that they just won't fit. I will try one more time but my husband says I need to give up the dream *sighs*. So near yet so far. Such a lovely looking boot but my high instep means I just can't get my foot in there...If I could just get past that I know they would fit, so...one more try before sadly, I have to send them back! Arghhh! Blast my funny feet :(

Necropsy In E Minor: A Novel
Necropsy In E Minor: A Novel

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm, I think I liked it...., 23 July 2011
Phew, you certainly do have to put a little work in when reading Necropsy in E Minor. It seemed to take me forever to read and more often than not the words just washed over me. Often I wondered whether I had read the sentence correctly as I couldn't make head nor tale of it and so would re-read and re-read. I would start reading a section and feel confident knowing who, what and where only to find half way down a page we had been transported to a completely different universe which left me wondering who, what, where?

That said, this is a stream of consciousness and it is intentional by the author. In this respect it is a clever piece or work and it does give a sense of the fractured mind of the narrator. For that I give 3 stars alone and I appreciate that some people may find it an excellent book. I think in relation to the stories being told here by the narrator, yes, some are funny, some sentences are profound and some are mere ramblings. Some sentences made me scratch my head 'huh?' whilst others just flowed so beautifully....

"Perhaps a blank sheet of paper has some memory of wood, but once you've placed the first dot or dash, the wood's stories are banished"

But that is, essentially, the nature of the book...

Writing a review on Necropsy is certainly a challenge and I have been unsure what to say. I want to say this is a brilliant piece of work, very well thought out and written but I also want to say I found it hard to read, confusing, too clever for it's own good and, oh, where was I? But then I come across sentences such as "The floor of the hospital felt like sand underneath a foot of water" and stop and think and be back to 'isn't it a great piece of work?' and then I ramble and stumble and wonder if I am asleep or awake. Oops there I go..now where was I?

So, I shall fall on both sides of the fence - legs over there and head over here. It is meant to be this way I think and is how the narrator and author maybe would like it..? It isn't often I finish a book and am still left wondering whether I liked it or not...I think I did though, eventually....

Anyway, Necropsy in E Minor is definitely NOT a holiday/beach/quick read/no need to think too much book and it most definitely IS a ouch my head hurts/where am I/where was I/who is this/who the heck am I kind of book. Confused yet?

The Drinker
The Drinker

3.0 out of 5 stars The Narcissist, 3 July 2011
This review is from: The Drinker (Kindle Edition)
As Fallada's novel 'Every Man Dies Alone' is also known as 'Alone in Berlin' so should 'The Drinker' be known as 'The Narcissist'.

As he tells his tale of descent into alcoholism and mental turmoil, Erwin Sommer says of his fellow 'sufferers'..."The medical officer must have been able to see there was more in me than in the others, I had more to lose, I was more sensitive, too, and more prone to suffering than these utterly dull, stupid fellows" (p.250) A deluded, self-pitying and grandiose character who has no sympathy or thought for anyone but himself. As such,The Drinker is an honest and truthful insight into a man suffering from the grips of alcoholism and, in my amature psychologist mode, some kind of narcissistic personality disorder.

It has been said that Erwin is loosly based on Fallada himself. If so, Fallada has been brutually honest and frank and laid bare a character who, in all honesty, I felt no sympathy for and cared for even less. The story is told from Erwin's perspective so we only ever hear his voice and his views on what is happening. Erwin very rarely shows empathy or sympathy for those around him or regret for any wrong doings against others. The blame for his woes and ills are often laid at the feet of others, and, more often than not, his wife. Erwin would have very little understanding of what self responsibility means.

Alcoholism, indeed many addictions, can be extremely selfish, unforgiving and uncaring for those who happen to be around. Fallada portrays this wonderfully in the character of Erwin (himself?). That said, I found him to be an incredibly frustrating character who wound me up no end. As a result, I would agree with the previous reviewer who said that the heart breaking descent of Erwin felt 'banal'. Unfortunately, it did. However, I would like to believe that this was as a result of Fallada's writing and that it may have been intentional with alcoholism being the destructive, delusional, grandiose, and self pitying metaphor for the character that is Erwin Sommer.

Sister
Sister
by Rosamund Lupton

2.0 out of 5 stars It didn't capture me, surprisingly..., 30 May 2011
This review is from: Sister (Paperback)
Books are certainly interesting and, like people, to each ones own. We are all different,which is a good thing, but yet I feel somewhat alone in my review about 'Sister'. What's wrong with me? Why didn't I like it when everyone else seems to love it? Am I the person you will 'always find alone in the kitchen at parties?!' And, more importantly, do I have bad breath and body odour?

Nonetheless, and at the risk of being cast asunder, I shall continue in vain with my 'stick out like a sore thumb' review.

It took me some time to get through reading Sister. I'm not sure why. On paper it would be the book for me. I enjoy the crime, thriller, drama, relationships genre book. But for some reason Sister never took me to the 'I can't put it down' stage. Don't get me wrong, the writing is good, fast paced and easy to follow. However, I just couldn't take to the characters at all. I couldn't get the real sense that Bee (the main character) was actually going through the emotions she was stating. Even though the narrative is being told in the first person, Bee's emotions felt a little shallow, one dimensional and simplistic. I also found the character somewhat grating and was alarmed to find that I just did not care about what was happening to her or anyone else in the book. How could I be so heartless? I just didn't care....not like me at all. I couldn't drum up any empathy for the character or find her at all believeable. And..I just didn't care.

Oh dear. So why carry on reading? Well, I hate starting a book and not finishing it. I had to continue to the end where I discovered a 'twist' which, like the characters, left me feeling 'and?...so?'

The book felt a little hurried. It seemed to me that everything the author could think of was crammed into the story including certain characters who, at times, I felt added nothing to the story and need not have been there.

That said, I couldn't write such a book and so many people have enjoyed 'Sister'. Who am I to argue? I hate reviewing books that I didn't really enjoy and reviewing in such a negative way. It is something I rarely do. I just felt the need to. After having read so many good reviews of the book I started to wonder if I really had read a different book. I just want to see if there are any other folk out there, like me, who didn't enjoy it as much.

Alone in Berlin (Penguin Modern Classics)
Alone in Berlin (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Hans Fallada

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark and chilling, 9 Jan. 2011
The many preceding reviews say it all really and I can't add much more, especially in relation to the story itself. Needless to say, this is first Fallada book I have read and I guarantee it won't be the last.

A dark, atmospheric novel that is written in a way which creates startling imagery of the harrowing treatment of the individuals who dared say anything against the State. Through most of the book, Otto Quangel (the so-called 'perpetrator' ) seems to be an almost invisible character who, like his actions, remains in the background ever so slightly whilst we are introduced to other characters of equal depth in their development. I raced through the last few chapters, carried along by the sheer emotion and dark anticipation (and general foreboding) of what would become of them.

5 stars from me for the story, character development, imagery (often harrowing it has to be said) and the sheer accessibility of Fallada's prose. Kudos must also go to the wonderful translation by Michael Hoffman.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3