Profile for Hipper > Reviews

Content by Hipper

Hipper "chirtle" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
BETTY DAIN The Socialite Collection Shower Cap Safari Spots (Model: BDC5250)
BETTY DAIN The Socialite Collection Shower Cap Safari Spots (Model: BDC5250)
Offered by Lightning Speed USA

3.0 out of 5 stars meaning better quality, would last longer, 14 Jun. 2015
It is certainly an effective shower cap, big enough to cover your ears if you don't want wet ears.

Unfortunately after just over two years, using it perhaps on average once a week, the elastic has failed.

Elastic failure is always the weakness of shower caps in my experience and I was hoping that one that is more expensive, meaning better quality, would last longer. I was wrong!

Perhaps I'm better off buying disposable shower caps, although that goes against the grain.

The Art Of Obscurity
The Art Of Obscurity

1.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea, 16 April 2014
This review is from: The Art Of Obscurity (Audio CD)
I've been a Matthews fan since Matthews Southern Comfort/Woodstock and enjoyed the ride. The main features of his music have been his beautiful voice, inspired choice of material and tasteful arrangements. His music and sources have been the main feeders of one of my two paths of music exploration. At times I've struggled with some of his directions (the saxophone dominated 'Hit & Run'; the heavier sounds of the Hi-Fi era are obvious examples) but eventually came to be fond of them. None of his albums have bored me until recently with his turn to jazz. This album does bore me.

I've never been a great one for lyrics - it's about the music and if the lyrics add musicality that's a bonus. This album is about the lyrics. A lot of thought has gone into them. I can relate to some of them. The music to me though is tedious. Half way through the album I was fed up. I think his voice has not just changed but deteriorated over the years (not unnaturally) and has perhaps affected his singing style which also grates with me and has for a while.

The Matthews musical journey has been good to me and still informs my new purchases but this album, which may or may not be his final one, will probably be the last one of his I buy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2014 9:43 PM BST

Live in London at Marquee. [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Live in London at Marquee. [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by nagiry

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Show, Disapointing Image Quality, 23 Mar. 2014
I had the video tape of this film and transferred it to DVD on my computer but somehow caused some small damage to the sound so I thought, as the price was cheap, I would buy the DVD. I assumed the sound quality would be better and so would the image. Wrong!

Although the sound quality is acceptable the image is worse then my copied video tape and is not up to DVD standards. It’s not a disaster but it is disappointing.

Generally, what do you get. This is a concert by Iain Matthews and his band at the time (Bob Metzger and Bruce Hazen on guitars, Mark Griffiths on bass and Bob Henrit on drums). It took place at the Marquee, London on the 2nd of March 1984. The tracks are:

I Can’t Fade Away
Driver
Wild Places
9 O’clock
Over Under Sideways Down

It’s a good concert if you like this Matthews period - after ‘Hi-Fi’ and with ‘Shook’ about to be released, and before his musical hiatus. It’s the heaviest music of his career - no acoustic stuff. Whilst I’m not a big fan of this era I enjoy this show.

If you don’t have this DVD it’s worth buying for the music especially if the price is only £3 or so.

Frog City
Frog City

4.0 out of 5 stars Still an Interesting Album, 8 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Frog City (Audio CD)
In November 1970 Matthews Southern Comfort were number one in the UK singles chart with ‘Woodstock’. The band, fronted by Iain Matthews, had made two album ‘Second Spring’ and ‘Later That Same Year’. The main musical features were the late Gordon Huntley’s pedal steel guitar and three and four part harmonies using west coast songs and some of their own. I suppose it could be termed country rock and the closest other band to this style was Rick Nelson’s Stone Canyon Band.

Matthews left the band by the end of that year and the remaining five, Huntley, American Carl Barnwell, Mark Griffiths, Andy Leigh and Ray Duffy decided to continue as ‘Southern Comfort’ and signed a deal with Harvest Records.

Contrary to what the un-credited sleeve notes of this CD say, Frog City was their first album, released in May 1971. This CD is the complete album with no additions. The sound quality is good and doesn‘t suffer from ‘The Loudness War‘. The track list is:

Good Lord DC (Barnwell)
Roses (Barnwell)
The Passing (Leigh)
The Dreadful Ballad of Willie Hurricane (Barnwell)
April Lady (Stanley Lucas)
I Sure Like Your Smile (Barnwell)
My Old Kentucky Home (Barnwell)
Take a Message (Barnwell)
The Leaving Song (Leigh)
Return to Frog City (Griffiths)
Get Back Home (Hubert)

The first single from the album ‘The Dreadful Ballad…’ was backed with ‘Berkshire Berk’ which I haven’t heard but is said to be ‘hilarious’. Unfortunately that is not here. A second single, ‘I Sure Like Your smile (b/w ‘Return to Frog City’) saw the boys appear on Top of the Pops.

This album has a rougher edge to it then MSC material and the second Southern Comfort album. ‘Take a Message’ and ‘April Lady’ are beautiful songs (‘April Lady’ was also recorded by Smile, the proto Queen band). Many of the other Barnwell songs seem to reflect his American roots with a roughness about them. My Old Kentucky Home seems to be a live recording. ‘Return to Frog City’ is a nice low tempo instrumental based around the pedal steel. The two Andy Leigh songs are also on his solo album Magician.

At the time I remember a music press review of the bands second album, ‘Southern Comfort’ (on CD available only as a Japanese import) where a band member said that Frog City was a bit rushed, presumably to keep on the momentum of the success of ‘Woodstock’, and that the new album (released in January 1972) was more polished and representative of SC. I preferred their second album in those days but now I appreciate the greater variety on Frog City and in ‘Take a Message’, ‘April Lady’ and ‘The Passing’ it contains my favourite SC songs.

Their third album, ‘Stir Don’t Shake’ was released in September 1972, and the band split up after that.

Gordon Huntley died in 1985 but left a legacy of pedal steel work with many artists. Mark Griffiths rejoined Matthews in a second version of the band Plainsong and also played bass with The Shadows. Carl Barnwell played with various bands and now lives back in the U.S.A. Andy Leigh went on to work in local government but still plays for fun, most recently with the band Stockwood. His album, ‘Magician’, which is a good companion for this CD, contains extensive sleeve notes about his career. Ray Duffy worked with Gallagher & Lyle and in session work.

It’s a pity more effort wasn’t put in to the sleeve notes and perhaps some additional material but I’m enjoying the music, and that’s what counts.

Trousers Pants Replacement Parts 2.8M White Elastic Band
Trousers Pants Replacement Parts 2.8M White Elastic Band

1.0 out of 5 stars Lasted six months, 7 Nov. 2013
Title says it all.

Installed in trousers. Wore and washed for six months. Elastic no longer holds trousers up.

Waste of money and effort.

The Eric Burdon Band - Live [DVD]
The Eric Burdon Band - Live [DVD]
Dvd ~ Eric Burdon Band

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor sound, 2 Jun. 2013
Unfortunately the sound quality is simply not good enough.

The big problem is Eric's vocals which are way too low. Even messing around with an equaliser cannot alter this fact. As much of the point of Burdon's music is his superb voice, this was a pointless purchase.

I'd recommend the 'Live at the Coach House' DVD instead - that is superb.

The Complete Epic Recordings
The Complete Epic Recordings
Offered by HitsvilleUK & more

3.0 out of 5 stars No 'Memphis Sessions', 6 May 2013
Whilst Morten Vindberg provides a good summary, I would like to express my disappointment that the 'Memphis Sessions' album is not here.

It was an Epic recording and release and even though it's history, as Morten points out, leaves a sour taste for some Nelson diehards, it is nevertheless an enjoyable experience and, as far as I'm aware, has never appeared on CD, just the original vinyl and cassette tape. It's a shame.

Should you buy this if you've already got the Stay Young CD? For Nelson fans, yes. Sonically the recordings are crisper. Dream Lover for example, a delightful delicate song, sounds lovely here. This issue is more complete too (but not actually complete!).

On it's own the CD would get five stars as it can't really be faulted, but the omission of the 'Memphis Sessions' album means it's not 'complete' and therefore loses two stars.

In Concert - The Troubadour, 1969
In Concert - The Troubadour, 1969

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying, 6 May 2013
I won't repeat what others have said. I just want to answer the question 'why should I buy this if I've already got the original CD, or even the original album?'.

Well, there are two reasons: the sonic qualities and the content.

Often with remasters you have to concentrate to try and pick up some little detail that tells you it is at least different, and maybe be better, then previous versions. Sometimes you get the feeling you've just bought yet another copy of what you've already got. This new release is not just better then the original CD but obviously so. Separation of instruments, greater clarity, more lively percussion. I'm not going to say it sounds like you are there - I don't think home stereos can do that - but it is probably as close as you can get. It feels good. It gets you toe tapping and swaying to the music.

There are some additional songs not on the original. I count eight of them, including one with Don Everly singing. Most are familiar to Nelson fans, one or two not, to me anyway. But the best thing is the second CD. Although it's been put together from separate shows it has been made into a seemless one show experience of twenty songs with Rick talking between tracks. It works well and whilst I'm not normally a fan of live albums, I really enjoy this.

So, I'd recommend this to Nelson fans even if you have the original, and to those that like live albums.

Just the Facts: Prehistoric Man - Human Evolution [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by supermart_usa

4.0 out of 5 stars Introduction with no Frills, 21 Sept. 2011
This DVD, and the other two that complete the series ('...in the Lower Paleolithic Age' and '...in the Middle and Upper Paleolithic Age') cover the evolution of hominids - man - from the branching away from apes through Australopithecus species to Homo types and finally us.

Each DVD is about forty minutes long and is presented in a dry manner with no frills - no presenter with the 'look at me, here I am' technique; no travelling around the world thirty times using thirty different methods. Instead, we concentrate on the facts (as the series suggests). We meet four professors in their labs surrounded by fossils and they each tell us the story from their specialities in a clear concise manner. The narrator too is listenable and with maps and diagrams adds to the information. Subjects include how we came to speak, bipedalism and tools.

My one complaint is that the sound, particularly on the first DVD is not the best quality, hence only four stars.

Remember this is a Region 1 DVD that will not play on region 2 set up DVD players.

I would recommend this series of three DVDs to those who are interested in the subject and don't need the frills to keep their attention.

Logitech Illuminated Keyboard
Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable to use, 10 Aug. 2011
I won't go into the details of using this keyboard as others have covered it. Just to say that on a daily basis it works well.

However there are a couple of minor problems I'd like to highlight.

1. Perhaps I'm a bit clumsy but I seem to hit two keys simultaneously, and the 'Caps Lock' button accidently, more often then on a conventional keyboard.

2. If you have to use Safe Mode for example, my keyboard in my situation (Windows 7 [64]) doesn't respond when pressing F8. I asked advice on this and the answer was 'use a standard ps/2 connected keyboard'. Fortunately I'd kept my previous one. My advice would be to test this when you first use the Logitech before disposing of your old keyboard.

After using that old keyboard I could appreciate how good the Logitech is.

Page: 1 | 2