Profile for Paul Grosse > Reviews

20 x 24K Gold Leaf On Base Sheets. 4x4
20 x 24K Gold Leaf On Base Sheets. 4x4
Offered by Gold Leaf Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect pure gold leaf, 23 Aug. 2015
Gold leaf has to be 24 carat to work properly.

These sheets are just right for putting onto canvas (as in 'oil on canvas' paintings) as they are the right quality and just the right size to handle.

Arrived after only two days

Gold and Silver Gilding Brush
Gold and Silver Gilding Brush
Offered by MariasCraft

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully soft brush, quick delivery, 23 Aug. 2015
Beautifully soft brush, perfect for the job.

Arrived after only two days.

100 x 24K GOLD LEAF SHEETS From IRELAND 3.5 x 3.5cm Restoration Craft Art Foil
100 x 24K GOLD LEAF SHEETS From IRELAND 3.5 x 3.5cm Restoration Craft Art Foil
Offered by Gold Leaf Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect pure gold leaf - quick delivery, 23 Aug. 2015
Gold leaf has to be 24 carat to work properly.

Fast delivery - arrived after only two days
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 24, 2015 3:30 PM BST

Winsor & Newton Japan Gold Size, 75 ml
Winsor & Newton Japan Gold Size, 75 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasure to work with - dries in minutes, 23 Aug. 2015
Brilliant stuff. It dries to the required tack in only minutes, making the application of gold leaf very quick.

It is dark red in the bottle but by the time you put it on what you are working (oil on canvas paintings for me) it is so thin that you won't see it.

I would recommend applying a thin coat of venetien red (mixed with some white to make it pinker) where you want to put this stuff, letting it dry then painting over that with the gold size so you know where it is going (particularly useful if you are doing gold lettering or some detailed work with it). This also makes the gold leaf a consisten, warmer colour.

LG 24MP55HQ 24-inch Widescreen LED Monitor (1920 x 1080, 250 cd/m2, 5M:1, 5ms, VGA/HDMI)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, 31 Jan. 2015
Absolutely love it. Colour, clarity, size. Wide viewing angle. I am using it on a Linux server and it has no trouble with the monitor at all - not that I would expect it to any way.

SAMSUNG SRD-1640P 16 CHANNEL CCTV DVR H.264 USB SMARTPHONE COMPATIBLE
SAMSUNG SRD-1640P 16 CHANNEL CCTV DVR H.264 USB SMARTPHONE COMPATIBLE

1.0 out of 5 stars 2 nasty bugs in the current software that can render it a useless heap of junk., 28 Nov. 2014
On the face of it, this is a nice little DVR and it works quite nicely - no FTP though. Don't be fooled.

Looking at the other comments on this machine, I took it that like others, it would now come with no HDD so I did as suggested and spend over 100GBP on a 4TB HDD. On getting the top off, I discovered that there was already a HDD in there although a useless 500GB - are we saving only a few days of images??? - so I put the 4TB drive in.

It booted okay but said that there was no HDD or it needed formatting. Every time I tried to get into the part of the menus that allowed me to even see the drive, let alone format it, it rebooted (usually a kernel panic caused by seeing an out of range size on the HDD - something to be corrected with a newer system software update). I could configure it in other respects though such as ntp server, gateway, timed events such as recording, alarms, motion detector areas and so on - just not format the HDD

I tried the 500GB drive and it worked well - I was able to continue with configuring it and it clearly works as a good DVR - the build quality is good which is what you would accept from Samsung. I went on Samsungs techwin site and downloaded the correct software update and saved it on a USB stick. I put that in the DVR and it recognised it and then, in the hope that the newer software would recognise the larger drive size, I updated the firm's software with the newer version. All went well and it clearly worked. Okay, albeit with the 500GB drive in it.

Then, as you would expect, it asked me to input the new Admin password so, as the system was still in the testing phase and was not connected to an outside network, I typed in the default password. It rejected it as not complex enough (which I knew anyway) so, I typed in another, more complex one (as a temporary password) that I know (so it is not as though I might forget it) and typed it in again to confirm it, typing it in, in exactly the same way.

It accepted it and continued with the initialisation sequence. When it was all up and running, I clicked to get the menu and it asked me to login. I typed my password and it rejected it, stating that it didn't match. I tried it a few more times and realised that when you click on the field for the password, a bug in the window management software doesn't wait for you to release the mouse key - it is as though it waits a given amount of time for you to do it but fails to check to see if the mouse-up event has happened. As a result of this, and the fact that another bug fails to check to see if the mouse button was up before it was down, means that if you don't lift the mouse button quick enough, you can end up with extra characters in the password that you didn't type - being represented as stars, you won't notice the odd one. Being a consistent typist (RSA3 parts one and two, and a journalist) the extra characters were added consistently.

I phoned up Samsung (01932 826700) and their technical person wouldn't let me know how to perform a reset - as I was an individual, they would not offer me any support. I reassured him that I did used to write the HelpDesk pages for PC Plus magazine and I used to write for Data Security Tools Bulletin as well so it is not as though I am new to anything he could tell me but that was no good.

As a result, I have never got around to finding out if the software update does allow 4TB HDDs and I have a useless heap of junk

I would recommend that until they sort out this bug and put larger HDDs in, you don't buy this as the HDD size supplied (where it is supplied) is not big enough (it is out of date); there is no technical support; and, you can password yourself out (the solution to that is to try to hack into your own property).

In summary: Nice looking piece of kit; HDD too small for modern use; Two software bugs can render it useless; no technical support; and, without increasing the HDD size, you can get 16 channel DVRs that do pretty much the same as this one (more in some areas such as FTP) that only cost between 1/3rd and 1/2 of this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2014 11:02 AM GMT

HitCar RCA DC Power Audio Video AV Extension Cable for CCTV Security, Car Tuck Bus Trailer Reverse Parking Camera (20 Meters)
Offered by CZTrader

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the job, 20 Jun. 2014
I needed it for a microphone for a CCTV camera at my front door. Taking the power from the CCTV supply at the camera was too noisy for the microphone so I used this to take the power from there the DVR is, to the microphone so that it has its own dedicated power supply. Works perfectly.

The cable is around half as thick again as the regular CCTV cables supplied with the cameras so this is nice and sturdy and of course, the power plugs fit perfectly.

Audio Mic Microphone for CCTV Security Camera Spy
Audio Mic Microphone for CCTV Security Camera Spy
Offered by Adapters Direct UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant purchase, 16 Jun. 2014
The sound is nice and clean with good sensitivity - have a power supply just for microphones though...

First of all, I tried a power splitter next to the cctv camera but it picked up the frame signal from the power. Next, I tried using a power cable of its own (so it had a power and signal cable to itself) and put the power splitter on the camera power at the back of the DVR - now it picked up the scan frequency (or sidebands in it) so I put the power splitter on the DVR's power lead (all works off 12V) and then it picked up the frame interval so it had a sort of short duration low frequency burst every second. Now, it has its own dedicated 12V supply and it is great.

It is capable of picking up whispering at the front door from at least a metre away.

I would recommend some form of wind shield for it (foam) if you have it outdoors (and, of course, keep it away from water).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 4, 2015 1:23 PM BST

Bushnell BackTrack D-Tour Personal GPS Tracking Device - Red
Bushnell BackTrack D-Tour Personal GPS Tracking Device - Red

2.0 out of 5 stars This product is awful, 8 May 2014
Its file format is proprietary and you have to send the files off to somewhere else on the planet to get the results (Q. are they so bad that hey have to be massaged to make sense?). What is wrong with having something that can be displayed on Google or something else (something offline???) - why do they need to know where we have been as a cost of us getting to find out where we have been?

A lot of the time, it cannot get any signal and for some reason, it only gives you the time truncated to the minute - considering that the time it has is by definition going to be accurate to a degree far in excess of the latency of an LCD display.

When it does work, the locator function (your car/home/tent/whatever is so many km/miles away, in that direction) is quite good but you can only define these points by going there (what is wrong with typing in co-ordinates?).

I received mine as a present and the giver has only ever apologised for inflicting this product on me. I don't use it any longer.

2x CCTV IP Junction Box Outdoor Weatherproof IP55 Terminal Box for cctv connectors
Offered by Strictly Lamps

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 8 May 2014
Many things like this are used in ways that they were not entirely intended for - I managed to cram five plug/sockets and an adaptor (2x cctv camera power(M to F), 1x BNC (M to F), 1x BNC/Phono (M to adaptor to F) 1x phono to phone (M to F)), along with the wiring/splitting blocks and it fitted fine.

I particularly like the grommets - they cut to reveal a hole of the size you require, just by selecting the appropriate step (it is obvious when you look at it, but nice to see it in use).

Page: 1 | 2