Profile for Dave > Reviews

Content by Dave

Dave (England)

Stasi Child: A Chilling Cold War Thriller (The Oberleutnant Karin Muller Series)
by David Young

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what it promises..., 21 April 2016
I picked this book up on a whim and was initially fairly pleased with my purchase, the set up was good, a murdered girl who appeared to be escaping into the east. However it felt to me like a missed opportunity, the initial set up and its potential was seemingly ignored.

The main character was dull. I have seen reviews say that this is because of the society she is part of, however I didn't feel that. I didn't care for her in the slightest.

The plot was full of coincidences, far too many. I don't want to put spoilers on here so won't go into detail, but she completely forgets the face of a man in the most implausible of circumstances, when you get there you will know what I mean.

There is one point, when trying to sum up the earlier presented evidence that the author has a character use the line 'yes, I was wondering that too'. Really?! So we are offered no explanation, at all. Just that it is a mystery to everyone.

I accept that this is the author's debut, and it isn't an awful effort. I just feel that it has such potential as an idea and that has been wasted. It's a shame.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 4, 2016 10:30 PM BST

The Picture of Dorian Gray (Penguin Classics)
The Picture of Dorian Gray (Penguin Classics)
by Oscar Wilde

3.0 out of 5 stars It was okay..., 2 Dec. 2009
Let me start by stating the obvious, this is not a bad book. It is quite clearly a well written book and has an interesting story. The reason that I class this book as only 'okay' is that Wilde, at times, simply appears to be showing off. There are entire pages of text which are completely readable, but seem to go off at a tangent from the main story line, simply to show just how much he knows about the world and modern (at the time) society. It was these moments that took the book down for me.

The story itself is excellent if somewhat tragic. The characters are very deep and provide soemthing extra to the book, you could spend hours just analysing them, without reading into the story too much!

I would recommend that people read this book, the things that I believe detract from this book may make the book for many others. It is certainly a lot 'easier' than many of the other 'classics' out there, and for that reason alone it is probably worth a read.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2012 8:37 AM GMT

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe: 2/5 (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
by Douglas Adams

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff!, 2 Dec. 2009
At 24 years old I have very recently stumbled across the Hitchikers series, and boy, what a find it really was! This, being the second in the series, for me, is better than the first (although, without the first, this one will make no sense to you at all!).

I don't want to go on about the plot of the book, you can find that out for yourself, but I think that is is suffice to say that Douglas Adams' mind must have been a very interesting place! Quite where he got some of his ideas, I will never be able to understand, but they are amazingly good fun and a delight to read.

Be prepared to have some of those 'laugh out loud' moments, causing those around you to look at you like some kind of looney. If you enjoyed the first book, then get this one, I can assure you the same sort of enjoyment from this one. If you haven't read the first one, READ IT, and then read this.

Onto book three...