Profile for Sergio Henrique > Reviews

A Briefer History of Time
by Leonard Mlodinow
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid and balanced, 25 Mar. 2009
First of all, I must point out that I'm reviewing the audio-book version of this book. I haven't even looked at the illustrations although I know that they're present in the 4th CD but this review doesn't take them into account.

First, the form: Erik Davies makes a great job reading the book. I'm Portuguese and I found the whole book very clear without needing to go back once. I did rewind it a few times but always because of the content and not of how it was read. When reading a book you're reading at your own pace, allowing you to think about what you're reading, but when listening, you'd have to actively pause or rewind to picture what's being said before moving on. Since I use this while driving, I'm not actually paying attention sometimes so I listened to many parts many times making up for this lack of constant active attention on the subject, so this didn't bother me at all.

Now the content: The subjects are well organized, the book covers a really wide range of topics, it doesn't go too deep on each one but it also doesn't keep to the surface either. I think the balance is very good for any interested person without an education in physics. I didn't really know what to expect so I ended up being surprised by its simplicity and at the same time, about how deeply it covered a few concepts. I don't have any education in physics (although I have a strong interest) and I could understand everything so you don't need one too. Being familiar with the concepts help though but I think that rewinding it enough times will eventually make things clear enough.

All in all, I found it a solid book. Not revolutionary of course, but that's not it's point. It's a great book for any interested individual to get solid foundations and understand all the latest and past findings in physics.

Reasonable Faith
Reasonable Faith
by William Lane Craig

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful book for a Christian, 25 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Reasonable Faith (Paperback)
As others have said, I was also drawn to this book after seeing a series of debates by William Lane Craig. However, as an agnostic, I felt like this wasn't really meant for me but rather it was meant for Christians to reinforce their fate and allow them to develop a positive case for the existence of God based on actual arguments.

I don't think this book can convert an atheist to theism although I personally found it interesting and useful for a better understanding of the Christian case for God.

My choice to rate it with 5 stars is based on what I think the value that this book may have for Christians, it's intended audience. A non-believer will certainly find this book interesting but not necessarily convincing.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 17, 2013 2:16 PM BST