Profile for zloty@rougon.freeserve.co.uk > Reviews

The Woman Warrior: Memoirs of a Girlhood Among Ghosts
by Maxine Hong Kingston
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars one of my desert island books, 6 Jun 2013
I read this years ago and it has haunted me ever since. It is beautifully written. Fascinating insight into being an "alien"

Are You Passionate?
Are You Passionate?
Price: 6.53

4.0 out of 5 stars No disappointment, 23 May 2002
This review is from: Are You Passionate? (Audio CD)
I suspect this album was a bit to subtle for some of the critics - not to mention some of the fans at Brixton the other night. I hated it at first listen, but its charms become apparent with repeated spins and the title track in particular is very insistent. Some of the vocal performances are a touch weak and strained, but the musicianship is outstanding, and Young's guitar playing much more lyrical than on any album since This Note's For You. The classic Going Home might have been better saved for the next Horse album, which would have made this one trimmer and perhaps more unified, but I'm not going to complain. I seem to be one of the few people who quite like Let's Roll - I certainly don't share the political sentiments expressed in that totally stupid and absurd last bridge, but otherwise the song works quite well and has a suitably menacing quality which worked brilliantly live. Top tracks - Are You Passionate, Mr Disappointment, She's A Healer, Two Old Friends. And if you buy it, give it time.