Profile for Fernando Semprun > Reviews

Content by Fernando Semprun

Fernando Semprun

The Fall of Carthage: The Punic Wars 265-146BC (CASSELL MILITARY PAPERBACKS)
The Fall of Carthage: The Punic Wars 265-146BC (CASSELL MILITARY PAPERBACKS)
by Adrian Goldsworthy

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book but it's only one, 27 July 2014
Another great book from Adrian Goldsworthy. It describes the warfare of the period (roman, Carthaginian, Hellenistic) and gives the political situation before the wars as well as providing a brief look at Carthaginian and roman institutions.

It later goes on describing the war events, analyses the different approaches to war by Rome and Carthage and how their different cultures influenced the way they fought the war

Adrian Goldsworthy also provides analyses on how and why battles were won and lost.

And it does all this with a very simple and well written narrative.

I am a big ancient history fan and I have really enjoy this book and I would recommended to anyone interested on this period.

However one needs to remember that it's a book who covers the 3 Punic wars + interwar periods so if you already know a significant amount about the Punic wars but want to go into further detail then this is probably not the book you are looking for. Otherwise this is a great book worthy to read by anyone interested in roman or ancient history. You will be pleased.

PS: this is my 1st Punic war book so I am unable to evaluate how much detail has been ommited to keep the 3 wars in one medium size book

The Wars of Alexander's Successors 323 - 281 BC: Commanders and Campaigns v. 1
The Wars of Alexander's Successors 323 - 281 BC: Commanders and Campaigns v. 1
by Bob Bennett

5.0 out of 5 stars Introduction/Overview of the Hellenistic world after Alexander's death, 2 Nov. 2013
I love Roman history and I only became interested with Alexander's empire when after playing Rome Total War I "discovered" the Seleucids. I loved this book, the reading seemed to me quite easy to follow (and english is my 2nd language). The way it is structured is quite good as well. This is a book for anyone with interest with this period oh history / or that likes ancient history. It is a very good book, starting with the situation of Alexander's empire during his India's campaign and ending with the death of the last diadochi (Seleucos) . However, by the end of the book some names start being confusing (there are a lot of demetrius) and is difficult to remember who is who at the end of it. A family/faction tree could have been useful. Furthermore, for some people (not me) the geography of the era will be complicated. The map provided doesn't gives enough detail of Alexander's empire regions, provinces, cities… But these are mentioned with frequency during the book. I do know most ancient regions of the middle east (thanks to TW and Europa Universalis games as well as my knowledge of the roman empire) but this could easily not apply to you. But if you google Persian empire, images, there are good maps you can find.

Total War Rome II (PC DVD)
Total War Rome II (PC DVD)
Offered by DVDGAMING DIRECT

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment with Parallels or Sega?, 2 Nov. 2013
I have an iMac and I play a lot of windows games through Parallels. All previous TW games that I have played (from Rome, Medieval II, Empire, Napoleon, Shogun II) ALL have worked on Parallels with any problems. So I was quite pleased to hear from TW team members that "if you were able to run Shogun II you will be able to run Rome II" ( these are not the exact words but it was the message). However, when I first started playing the game the "floor" both in battle and campaign map didn't exist, there was no surface + there was a lot of lag. After updating parallels to version 8 I believe (expecting this problems to go away) things got worse. The screen just goes black when I start the game :( So if you know how to run Rome II on Parallels I would be VERY thankful.

The Undercover Economist
The Undercover Economist
by Tim Harford

4.0 out of 5 stars Economic Undergraduate Student Review, 2 Nov. 2013
For my "Introduction to economics" subject (1st year) one of the recommended books was this one, saying "It help you to visualize the book as economists do". At that is pretty much what this book is about. Its my first book of economics that I read (textbooks not included) and I quite enjoy it. Tim Harford offer an economist view to our daily life, why prices are higher for some products, why the market works this way… You certainly don't need any previous knowledge of economics, the way he explains economic concepts that are linked with our daily life is quite simple. It is just such a easy book to read through and I recommended to any one interested in economics. Mostly to undergraduate/IB/A levels students but everyone with a slight interest in economic should definitely buy this book

Political Research: Methods and Practical Skills
Political Research: Methods and Practical Skills
by Sandra Halperin

3.0 out of 5 stars Politics Student Undergraduate, 2 Nov. 2013
This book is my core textbook for "Political Research" subject in my first year. It is one of my hardest readings. Probably because it just teaches you how to do a research, which for me is far from interesting. Still the book does a very good job covering all points and the chapters follow a very nice structure. However, there is a lot of room from improvement. There are no colors, and they make reading so much easier. Firstly, the book could highlight key words definitions, it provides key definitions (which are repeated a few times through the book) but to find them is more complicated with everything written in black ink. Furthermore, there is a lack of useful diagrams to help you visualize whatever concepts they are explaining you at that moment. The few diagrams that I have seen are quite poor to be honest.

Economics
Economics
by David Begg

3.0 out of 5 stars Economic Undergraduate Student Review, 2 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Economics (Paperback)
I bought this book for my 1st year subject "Introduction to Economics". It is the core book for the subject. The first 4/5 chapters of the book didn't provide me with further knowledge then the one I had from my IB experience. However, this is due to the fact that not all undergraduates have done economics before. Regardless I was quite disappointed with the book mainly for the way it explains things. I do like when someone gives me the abstract concepts first and then provides me with examples. This book mixes the concepts or the theory with examples all the time, which some people may like but I don't. Another disappointment were the diagrams. Diagrams in Economics tend to have a lot of functions and when you first see them is quite confusing. However, if you see how the diagram was built it results much easier for you to understand. But this book just throws you the "final diagram" with a good explanation. This is ok but it is very complicated some times to be reading and following the explanation with the diagram because of the so many function in it. Certainly several diagram will make it easier for the reader to follow the economical changes that being explained. On the other hand the book provides you with key concepts definitions, which are highlighted in red boxes (I find it useful) and the diagrams are very colorful.

Politics (Palgrave Foundations Series)
Politics (Palgrave Foundations Series)
by Andrew Heywood

4.0 out of 5 stars Politics Undergraduate Review, 2 Nov. 2013
I bought this book because It was one of my core books for my first year subject "Comparative Politics". I didn't find it hard to read through. The book goes through all key concepts of the world of politics (constitutions, governments, ideologies…) and it provides examples all the time. It pretty much follows a PEE (Point, Evidence, Explanation) IB strategy, or at least it reminded me of it.