Profile for metropolis27 > Reviews

The Moon's a Balloon
The Moon's a Balloon
by David Niven

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Old Hollywood autobiography out there, 19 Jan. 2011
This review is from: The Moon's a Balloon (Paperback)
David Niven was probably the only actor of his era who was also a superb writer. His writing reflects a tremendously witty mind and he narrates the story with a great pace, not getting too caught up in the details of "who and where" as a lot of stars tend to do in their autobiographies, but rather giving humorous accounts of "what and how". A great read for anyone really -- I myself hadn't seen a single Niven movie prior to reading this book and enjoyed it very much nonetheless.

State Of The Union [DVD] [1948]
State Of The Union [DVD] [1948]
Dvd ~ Katherine Hepburn

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting!, 19 Jan. 2011
Frank Capra was a master of "preaching" to the audience through his works and this movie isn't any different. I would like to point out that a lot of Spencer Tracy's lines are still very relevant today, especially the part before he falls under total influence of the brilliant Angela Lansbury, in my opinion the real star of this film. She did a terrific job playing what we'd nowadays call a "cutthroat bitch". Tracy and Hepburn are captivating as always...enough said!

True Grace: The Life & Times of an American Princess: The Life and Times of an American Princess
by Wendy Leigh

1.0 out of 5 stars Gossip girl, 19 Jan. 2011
This isn't a good biography of Grace Kelly. Doesn't seem like the author has done her homework. The sources are questionable, there is a lot of hinting and very little facts that fans aren't familiar with already. You'll enjoy it only if you're reading for the gossip and "what ifs".

C.I.D. Womens Woodstock - Upstate 69 - Red - Medium
C.I.D. Womens Woodstock - Upstate 69 - Red - Medium

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable but..., 19 Jan. 2011
...I don't really like the way they made the print. I can see they were going for a vintage look, but the result is poorly visible from certain angles. Not to worry because the comfy cotton (almost) makes up for it!

To Kill A Mockingbird: 50th Anniversary Edition
To Kill A Mockingbird: 50th Anniversary Edition
by Harper Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, 19 Jan. 2011
A gripping novel, one of my favorite classics -- it offers a whole palette of emotion and good advice for kids as well as adults. I can hardly imagine it ever becoming obsolete.

Tracy And Hepburn: The Signature Collection [DVD]
Tracy And Hepburn: The Signature Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ William Tannen
Offered by wmdservices

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for any Tracy & Hepburn fan, 19 Jan. 2011
This set contains 3 of my favorite movies with Tracy and Hepburn (who happen to be my favorite onscreen couple) -- Woman of the Year, Adam's Rib and Pat and Mike. Keeper of the Flame is different than any other movie they've done, but interesting nonetheless -- not your typical George Cukor picture to say the least. The first three films give me the greatest laughs every single time I watch them and I'm very grateful for this special release. You are in for a delightful treat -- two of all-time greatest movie stars, foils of each other who create a unique chemistry. Enjoy!