Profile for Sophie > Reviews

Sophie

RECARO Monza Nova 2 Seatfix Black
RECARO Monza Nova 2 Seatfix Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied so far, 3 Sept. 2014
Arrived quickly, in good condition. Seem pretty comfortable for the children, and not too difficult to clip in. They take up quite a lot of room in the car. We haven't tried the iPod/music option yet.

The Modern Vegetarian: Food Adventures for the Contemporary Palate: Over 120 Recipes to Wake Up Your Palate
by Maria Elia

5.0 out of 5 stars adventurous and full of big flavours, 5 Oct. 2011
I own many vegetarian cookbooks, but this is the only one where I actually want to try all the recipes. In the two years I've had the book, I have tried more recipes than from any other cookbook I own.
Unlike some previous reviewers, I haven't found the techniques difficult at all. Many of the dishes are very simple ideas, but they pack in lots of flavour.
The author is clearly creative, adventurous and enthusiastic about food and experimenting. Some of the ingredients are a little unusual but not difficult to track down; some come up again and again (feta, watermelon, filo pastry), betraying Maria Elia's roots.
We have tried the watermelon gazpacho (delicious), watermelon, black bean and paneer curry, apple baklava with Turkish delight ice cream (superb), lavender syrup cake, tomato, feta and date baklava, baked feta on a watermelon slab, butternut squash tagine with couscous, white chocolate and lemon brownies (yum), lemongrass and ginger chocolate tart (subtle, rich flavours) and more.
If I have a criticism, it's that the recipes are written by someone who is instinctive about cooking and expects the reader to be as well, so she doesn't always spell everything out. She is brimming with ideas for variations, but I'm not always convinced that she has thought them through, or that the recipes have been thoroughly tested (cooking times especially). Some of them take quite a lot longer to make than she suggests; and watch out, sometimes they're very salty!
But overall, it's an inspiring book and I'm looking forward to cooking many more recipes. By comparison my older vegetarian cookbooks seem full of brown, dull, worthy food.

Scandinavian Needlecraft
Scandinavian Needlecraft
by Clare Youngs

4.0 out of 5 stars lovely projects, materials can be hard to source, 18 Jan. 2011
This book contains elegant, achievable projects. I was keen to try several of them, and started with the floral scarf, which was much admired.
My criticisms are: the instructions are not always completely clear (and it can't be that complicated to describe how to make a scarf!) and some of the fabrics are difficult to source in the UK. To get hold of boiled wool in cream, you will have to boil an old jumper, and very thick cream felt is almost unobtainable unless you buy 5 metres, and it's exorbitantly priced.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2011 10:41 AM BST

Mum's Family Calendar 2011
Mum's Family Calendar 2011
by Sandra Boynton
Edition: Calendar

3.0 out of 5 stars too American for a Brit, and needs better layout, 15 Jan. 2011
This calendar will certainly do what it says on the tin. It has 5 columns, it has plenty of stickers, it has a pouch to store useful (?) stuff - I can't see myself ever using it, though.
The trouble with the calendar is that it's too American (for me, anyway). I disliked some of the stickers ('vacation', 'camp'). I was annoyed by the fact 'Mum' is printed at the top of the first column on each page; this takes away some of the flexibility - that's not what I call myself or where I would put my name.
The layout of the calendar isn't ideal either. The days of the week are printed very large. This takes up a lot of space which could more usefully be allocated to the columns. In an effort to make the calendar fun, there are many little cartoons and pictures on each page, as well as all sorts of public holidays. This makes it quite cluttered. By the time you've stuck hundreds of stickers on, you won't be able to see the wood for the trees.
As it happens, someone gave me a Gruffalo calendar for Christmas as well, and I confess, I much prefer it: neater, more subtle, more fun.

The Biscuiteers Book of Iced Biscuits
The Biscuiteers Book of Iced Biscuits
by Sarah Moore

4.0 out of 5 stars beautiful - if you have time, 14 Dec. 2010
This is a beautiful book, and it will help you create beautiful iced biscuits.
The layout, artwork and photography are very well done, and the biscuit 'collections' are attractive, inspirational, and fun. The whole book has a relaxed feel and is full of great ideas.
Having had a go at making some of the biscuits (Christmas themed), my only criticisms would be: 1. although none of the steps are particularly difficult, the whole process of making dough, rolling, cutting, cooking, and particularly dividing up icing, colouring it, and icing the biscuits, is VERY time-consuming. Icing is quite fiddly too. 2. The instructions for making the dough, making the icing, and cutting/cooking/cooling/storing are in different places. This means you can't just read through a recipe and make the biscuits from start to finish; you have to keep flipping between sections, which is a bit annoying.
Overall, though, the biscuits are delicious and they look fantastic. If you like taking time over baking and want to give someone a very special gift for a special occasion, I can definitely recommend this book.

How to Design and Report Experiments
How to Design and Report Experiments
by Andy Field

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a godsend, 20 Jan. 2005
I came across this book the other day when I was in a bookshop wading through statistics textbooks, trying to find a decent explanation of a mixed ANOVA. This was the only work (out of at least 12) that used helpful examples and simple phrasing to explain this type of ANOVA in some detail, rather than just saying it's a mixture of other types of ANOVA. I was sufficiently impressed to buy the book and read through it. The authors have produced a lucid and straightforward explanation of experimental design and statistics for the uninitiated. The focus is on psychology reports, but the principles apply equally well to other fields. Some textbooks either explain the statistics in incomprehensible detail, or tell you which buttons to click on in SPSS but then leave you hanging. The authors of this book have struck a good balance, and one of their strengths is their very clear explanation of what these statistics really MEAN, and how to present them (including how to write up the report). Field and Hole have introduced humour to lighten a turgid subject. Others have tried this, and failed. Here the humour was sometimes amusing, and never irritating (which is something). One small criticism: I found Part 3 slightly repetitive, as it included a quick guide to writing up a lab report, as well as running through this point in greater detail. To sum up: I wish I had had a copy before I started writing up my dissertation (or preferably, before I designed my experiment!). This book will be a godsend to undergraduates and Masters' students. Andy Field and Graham Hole, I salute you.