Profile for book worm > Reviews

Content by book worm

book worm

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Why didn't I buy this sooner?, 25 Jun. 2013
I stopped wet shaving a few years ago, and since then I have used my hair clippers to keep a short amount of stubble. However, I was never completely satisfied with this system as for the first few days my facial hair was too short - I prefer how I look with around 4-5 days' growth. Having found this trimmer I wonder why I didn't buy it sooner. It makes it easy to keep facial hair the length you want it; I usually use setting 4. It feels very well-made and of good quality.
The slightly disappointing part was reading the many reviews which found its battery died and cannot be replaced. Hopefully Remington will change this, and in the meantime I hope mine will last a good year or so.

Saxondale - Complete Series 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD]
Saxondale - Complete Series 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steve Coogan

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fine creation from Coogan, 13 May 2013
This is a very underrated comedy in my opinion, with genuine, intelligent laughs in every episode, and the odd poignant moment. Tommy Saxondale is an intelligent man, though socially awkward and quite arrogant. A former roadie with anger-management issues, he likes nothing more than to share his wisdom and show his disdain for 'the system' and any kind of authority, although he's 52 and living a middle class life of relative comfort. He's more likeable as a person than Partridge, I think because he knows he is ridiculous. Perhaps there is a bit of Tommy in all of us. Characters such as the neighbour and the office administrator are great regulars who bounce well off Tommy and remind us of such types we know in real life. Some really cringeworthy scenes had me laughing for ages, superbly acted by Coogan - a personal favourite is the court hearing in series 2, episode 5. Fans of Partridge will undoubtedly love this creation!

Perfect Russian (Learn Russian with the Michel Thomas Method): Russian Advanced Course (Michel Thomas Series)
by Natasha Bershadski
Edition: Audio CD

2.0 out of 5 stars If this is advanced then I am Fyodor Dostoevsky, 8 Jun. 2012
I guess the Michel Thomas method may be good for absolute beginners, but not for anybody with a basic grasp of Russian. The advanced is nowhere near advanced, I study much harder than this on an evening course, which is lower intermediate level! Also there is far too much talking and explaining, sometimes at the start it takes 2 minutes for the lady to stop her monologue before you can actually learn anything'''''''''''!

I, Partridge: We Need To Talk About Alan
I, Partridge: We Need To Talk About Alan
by Alan Partridge

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh that's first class, 21 Dec. 2011
This book is a hilarious, bitter and poignant insight into the life of my favourite fictional character ever, Sir Alan Partridge.

It captures his personality perfectly, and like the TV series there is no shortage of anecdotes, useless trivia and general daftness from North Norfolk's third top DJ himself. I startled many a commuter by laughing out loud at Alan's ridiculous metaphors, his un-PC right-wing thinking and narcissistic persona.

It also made me feel a little sad at moments - we know Alan doesn't mean anyone any harm, but nevertheless he always manages to repulse all he comes into contact with. This is to the credit of the creators of Partridge though, who have brilliantly continued the life of a truly loveable loser.

An absolute must for Partridge fans.

Spaced: Complete Series [DVD] [2008] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Spaced: Complete Series [DVD] [2008] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best comedies ever created!, 14 April 2011
Spaced is quite simply one of the best sitcoms ever to be aired; it is so watchable I could literally imagine watching it non-stop and forgetting about everything else. The characters and storylines ensure its hilarity but it never feels pretentious, only heart-warmingly familiar. No weak characters - all have depth and I found them all to be likeable despite their quirky flaws. A must for anyone who has ever lived in a shared house/flat/block. Sheer brilliance, please get it, you won't be disappointed!

Tricks and Mortar: The Little Book of Property Wisdom
Tricks and Mortar: The Little Book of Property Wisdom
by Laura Henderson

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy hints, 14 Mar. 2011
I assumed this book would be full of the typical platitudes we hear from so-called TV property 'experts' such as "make sure your house is tidy before a viewing" etc etc, but I was actually suprised to find some handy tips which I can make use of. Probably I'd say the number one thing people do wrong is not to research prices around the area first; this book gives information on how to do just that. Also it helps you to adopt a more business-like approach when buying a house, which is pretty useful as I have a tendency to think with my heart instead of my head in these life-changing decisions. Not all of the topics and tips will be original for everyone but all in all it's well worth a read before making an offer.

Scar Tissue
Scar Tissue
by Anthony Kiedis

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedious, 22 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Scar Tissue (Paperback)
Could not finish this book. Extremely frustrating - guy just repeats pattern of drugs, sex, music over and over. Interesting in the beginning, but what frustrated me is he doesn't seem to show any sign of getting over his destructive life. Almost like to him it's one big laugh. I'm not asking necessarily for a happy ending but I found it impossible to like the guy or to feel anything for him because of this. The drug use and lifestyle is so heavy that in the beginning you are shocked/fascinated, but as this continued I felt less shocked/fascinated, until the point I was just mightily bored with it all. Doesn't seem to be any redeeming features to him, almost like a dumb kid with no sense of remorse or realism.

The New Penguin Russian Course: A Complete Course for Beginners (Penguin Handbooks)
by Nicholas J. Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic beginner book, 22 Dec. 2010
This book is superb for those wanting to learn Russian. It's ideal for those who've never learned a single Russian word but also those up to intermediate level, in my opinion. It is so easy to understand and the author explains difficult aspects of Russian grammar very well, in his easy-to-digest writing style. I particularly like that the exercises contain the page reference numbers of where the answer was first taught - so you can flick back through the book and remind yourself of how a verb changes in a certain form, or a rule etc., in order to be able to answer the question. My old book didn't have this and I had to spend ages looking through the book or my dictionary which made progress slow and infuriating!

Read this book from the beginning, do all the exercises and you can't go wrong. The author writes with an informal tone which makes it pleasurable to read and understand - again unlike other books I've seen. Like the author says the hardest bit about learning Russian is the vocab; once you have your head around the grammar it's just a case of learning new words. Best book I've seen so far for learning basic Russian, I can't recommend it enough.

How To Be Idle
How To Be Idle
by Tom Hodgkinson

4.0 out of 5 stars For the guilt-stricken idler, 16 Dec. 2010
This review is from: How To Be Idle (Paperback)
This is a brilliant little book which I found comforting to read, as a fellow idler. However, don't take it too seriously. Mr Hodgkinson is a writer, and therefore has the perfect idler's occupation. A Cambridge education, his own business and writing freelance for the Guardian have most likely ensured his financial security, unlike so many of us who couldn't dream of leaving a job because we literally can't afford to, despite how much he protests. He says his salary quartered when he quit the Guardian and moved to Devon, however the fact is if most of our salaries quartered we would be living in the gutter, or on benefits. This book did change my perspective a little, however the fact is I'm still going to pursue my career to better my life until I think of something more entrepreneurial (if ever), but I will certainly take delight in being idle as I have always done.

Physiology of Sport and Exercise
Physiology of Sport and Exercise
by Jack H. Wilmore

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for undergraduate level exercise physiology, 11 Feb. 2010
I was recommended this book by a friend and when I eventually bought it I wondered why I hadn't sooner. The way it is written is just perfect for learning; it is simple and concise, and detailed without managing to make the reader confused like so many books do when they go off the point or seemingly add long fancy words to make the text look more academic. It is a book you can comfortably sit and read for a chapter without becoming overwhelmed or irritated!

But don't let that make you think it's not a high enough level for degree study, I'd probably even say it's enough for a Masters level degree. Chapters contain summaries at the end containing the most important points to help with revision.

If you're a sports science student or just have an interest in physiology I would recommend this book 100%.