Profile for CHuBBie Founder > Reviews

Orla Kiely Mug Multi Acorn Green
Orla Kiely Mug Multi Acorn Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice design shame about the size., 19 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Orla Kiely Mug Multi Acorn Green
I love the design, the cup is nice and thin but for me the mug doesn't hold enough for a decent size cup of tea. It holds about 50ml less than a regular mug.

Orla Kiely Green Olly Owl Bone China Mug
Orla Kiely Green Olly Owl Bone China Mug

3.0 out of 5 stars lovely but, 18 Feb. 2015
I love the design and the cup is nice and thin but it just doesn't hold enough for a full sized cup of tea. It holds about 50mls less than my other mugs.

ORLA KIELY BOX FLOWER SLATE OLIVE CHINA MUG
ORLA KIELY BOX FLOWER SLATE OLIVE CHINA MUG

3.0 out of 5 stars lovely but, 18 Feb. 2015
I love the design, the china is nice and thin but for me the cup isnt big enough for a proper cup of tea. (It holds about 50ml less than my other mugs.)

Inov8 British Made 10x8-inch Traditional Real Wood Mirror, Kayla Light Oak
Inov8 British Made 10x8-inch Traditional Real Wood Mirror, Kayla Light Oak

4.0 out of 5 stars 10x8 mirror, 12 Feb. 2015
Good size, well made mirror and very good value.

Skechers Womens Flex Appeal - Sweet Spot Low-Top Trainers 11729 Navy/Hot pink 5 UK, 38 EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Light and comfortable., 11 Feb. 2015
Really light and comfortable. I was a little apprehensive when ordering as some reviews said they came up on the large side. I am normally a wide 5 (38) but the skechers 5 fit fine.

Modern Round Chrome & Clear Acrylic IP44 Rated Bathroom Ceiling Light
Modern Round Chrome & Clear Acrylic IP44 Rated Bathroom Ceiling Light
Offered by The Light Factory

4.0 out of 5 stars Just the right amount of bling, 10 Feb. 2015
The light looks great but not ott. It only has 1 bulb in it which probably wouldn't give enough light for a large bathroom but is perfect for a downstairs cloakroom or ensuite.

The Elephant Keeper (Unabridged)
The Elephant Keeper (Unabridged)
Offered by Audible Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite sweet but not a page turner, 22 Nov. 2014
This was a book club choice which I ended up listening to as the library didn't have enough paperbacks.
The narration was very good and brought the book to life.
I did have a few problems with the story. Although it was charming and well written it wasn't a page turner. I did worry that the story of an elephant in 18th century England would be a difficult subject matter but that wasn't the case. The author does steer clear of too much direct poor treatment of animals, which I had worried might mean I find it difficult to read.
Although it was a fairly easy read it wasnt one that I couldn't put down. The author jumped some periods which I would've liked to have known about and the ending was rather unsatisfactory. The author had some interesting points to make about life in the 1700s for different classes and how animals were treated which lead to a good discussion but nobody was really enamoured with the book.

Beauty
Beauty
by Raphael Selbourne

4.0 out of 5 stars Beauty meets white van type., 10 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Beauty (Paperback)
I found this to be a very readable book which I finished over a weekend. It is a little confusing in parts as Beauty speaks in Begali quite a bit and recalls past events in a jumbled way. The author must've done something right though as I really want to know what happens to the characters next. A follow up please.

The Shadow Of The Wind
The Shadow Of The Wind
by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

3.0 out of 5 stars Only a shadow of the novel I was expecting, 19 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
From the number of positive reviews my expectations were quite high.
I liked a lot about it. Some of the writing and observations made me smile. The book is set in Spain during and after the Spanish Civil War which is very interesting.
The premise on which the book is hung is too melodramatic and I would've preferred the story stripped down, without the elements of the 'devil' wanting to get rid of all books by Julian Corax, if it had been told in a more straight forward manner.
If this is an example of magical realism I am not converted.

The House on Paradise Street
The House on Paradise Street

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Greek novel., 19 Aug. 2014
Once I started reading I couldn't put it down.
I didn't realise how turbulant a recent history Greece has. Not only did this book provide a fascinating glimpse of Greek history but the story that was wrapped around this time was very moving with believable characters. I also liked that Greece's currentish (2008) problems are referenced with two of the younger characters which shows the volatile and cyclical nature of Greek politics
Recommended.