Profile for Hil > Reviews

Low-Carb Vegetarian
Low-Carb Vegetarian
by Celia Brooks Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful info but an awful lot of sweetener!, 1 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Low-Carb Vegetarian (Paperback)
I've been following a low carb diet for ages and bought this for some new ideas. There are lots of good ideas, but many recipes include several tablespoons of sweetener! I did email the author to see if it was a mistake but haven't heard back.

Create with Transfer Art Paper
Create with Transfer Art Paper
by Lesley Riley

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 16 Feb. 2013
I bought a pack of the TAP paper which worked OK on fabric (though the hot iron slightly melted the microfibre I wanted to use and the transfer didn't take evenly on the rougher cotton alternative). Thought I'd buy the book to get some expert tips, but the first part really only tells you the extremely obvious, and the second is devoted to a selection of specific projects which were a bit odd, and not at all what I wanted to do. Would have liked more general info and less "recipes" for weird bits of craftwork! Frankly, a waste of money for me.

All Windows Open: and Other Stories
All Windows Open: and Other Stories

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 21 Aug. 2012
Although I have never been to suburban Australia (and have no Greek ancestry!) these characters ring absolutely true - you only have to have been young and fallen in love with an unattainable dream to relate. But the settings and detail are also fascinating - I sort of feel I DID grow up Greek in Melbourne after living through Chrissie's coming of age with her. Cleverly constructed with parallel stories and different voices woven together, the story is told in a modern, almost episodic way like a good TV drama. I was gripped from start to finish.

Angie Lewin: Plants and Places
Angie Lewin: Plants and Places
by Leslie Geddes Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, inspiring book, 16 Aug. 2011
I spotted Angie Lewin's cards in a gallery a few years ago and always buy them when I see them, so I was thrilled to find this book. I love the sketches and workings as well as the finished prints, and although it's a "coffee table" book I read it from cover to cover straight away. Her perspective on ordinary plants is so inspiring that I found myself looking at a patch of weeds by the side of a roundabout in a whole new way the other day!

Look What i Can Do
Look What i Can Do
by Jose Aruego

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this daft and joyful book, 14 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Look What i Can Do (Paperback)
All pictures apart from two short sentences, this book is wonderful! I fell across it about 30 years ago and never forgot - recently rediscovered.

The Family from One End Street: And Some of Their Adventures (Puffin Modern Classics)
by Eve Garnett

5.0 out of 5 stars Great characters still appeal to today's children, 14 Mar. 2011
I loved this book as a child, and recently bought it for a little girl of 8 who loves reading. Although she has no idea what pre-decimal money is and other little mysteries in the book, the characters are so real that she related easily to the beautifully drawn characters (Lily Rose and the disaster of the artificial silk petticoat!) and thoroughly enjoyed it. A real classic with universal appeal.

Simon's Cat
Simon's Cat
by Simon Tofield

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Simon's cat, 12 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Simon's Cat (Hardcover)
I have fallen about laughing over the videos of Simon's Cat and I bought the book for a friend at Christmas. You do miss something without the animation, but the strip of the cat repeatedly whacking the dog over the head with a stick which he then immediately begs to have thrown really sums up the difference between dogs and cats - hilarious!

20th Anniversary Absolute Balderdash
20th Anniversary Absolute Balderdash

5.0 out of 5 stars Great family Christmas game, 12 Jan. 2010
Some friends brought this when a group of us went away for a seaside weekend - and I had to buy my own set! I knew the family would love it at Christmas. If you're the sort of family that enjoys Pictionary, you should enjoy Balderdash. It wouldn't be so good for very young children - you have to make up definitions for a word and convince the others that yours is true - but we all (16-60ish and nobody too grown up!) all enjoyed playing.

Nice Cup Of Tea And A Sit Down
Nice Cup Of Tea And A Sit Down
by Wifey

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 12 Jan. 2010
This is very very silly and great fun - perfect to dip into and cheer yourself up (much like an actual nice cup of tea and a biscuit in fact). Nicey writes in an easy style of innocent classic British humour with a good dollop of nostalgia - especially strikes a chord for us baby boomers who remember brightly coloured Playbox biscuits (there never were enough pink ones!) My sister complained because I left the book on the bedside table in my guest bedroom and she was up half the night reading and giggling.....

Faringdon 12cm Pastry Blender
Faringdon 12cm Pastry Blender

1.0 out of 5 stars Very odd smell!, 12 May 2009
There was a very strong smell of wood preservative (I think) when I unpacked this and even after a good wash and a week in the air it hadn't gone away. In the end I bought another one with a metal handle which I saw at TK Maxx - I'd had trouble finding one in the shops before - checked supermarkets, Robert Dyas and Lakeland etc - which is why I bought online - but anyway happened to be in TK Maxx and saw one. Odd problem but actually made it unusable for me!

Page: 1 | 2