Profile for vanksed > Reviews

Content by vanksed

vanksed

14 Fun Facts About Black Holes: A 15-Minute Book (15-Minute Books 30)
14 Fun Facts About Black Holes: A 15-Minute Book (15-Minute Books 30)
Price: 1.02

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful book well worth the money!, 6 Jun 2014
You get exactly what it says on the cover. I would add though that the fourteen fun facts are very useful if you happen to be researching, Black Holes. Yes, it’s true they are presented in a fun way but the underlying information is well written and easy to understand.

As a person who enjoys writing Science Fiction, I found the little book an invaluable research tool. In my books I stretch the truth but I always try to base my stories on at least some of the facts. And that’s what this enjoyable book gives you… the hard facts!

I note the author has written other similar works and I look forward to reading them. I think the important thing about informational books like this is that they make learning both fun and easy and this book does just that. I highly recommend the book to anyone with more than a passing interest in the subject.

The Prayer
The Prayer
Price: 3.08

4.0 out of 5 stars A very special book, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Prayer (Kindle Edition)
This short but beautifully illustrated book was not what I expected. It’s not the type of thing I would usually choose to read. However, I’m very glad I did read this excellent little tale. It’s a deep and very moving work that leaves the reader both illuminated and emotionally challenged.

Each page paints a clear picture of despair and hope. It’s like being part of a colourful dream that could so easily become a nightmare. It’s a book I will definitely read again and one I will think about every Christmas holiday.

The words flow as easily as the images and when you all too quickly reach the end you are left feeling you have shared a lasting revelation.

Dead Energy: (The Alex Cave Series. Episode 1.)
Dead Energy: (The Alex Cave Series. Episode 1.)
by James M Corkill
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A sci-fi techno thriller, 14 Mar 2014
DEAD ENERGY - An Alex Cave Adventure
By James M. Corkill.

This book in my opinion is best described as a sci-fi techno thriller. But whatever else it is, this gripping story unfolds into a true science fiction yarn.

From the outset I set about reviewing the story… rather than making comments about the grammar or writing style. I will leave that to more qualified individuals.

A rich quasi-religious sect the Mennonite becomes pretentiously involved in dangerous environmental matters. The sect is led by Menno Simons a belligerent madman, who as the saga unfolds proves to be more than he originally seemed.

Using hitherto unknown technologies the sect makes a serious and very nearly successful attempt to eliminate the global supply of crude oil. Society quickly breaks down and in the oncoming struggle to survive the US fared worse than most. Small militia groups made up mostly of mercenaries and the worse criminal elements started to flourish and hold sway over their own geographical areas. One group in particular the Army of Survival (AOS) is featured in an interesting fall from grace where the egotistical and wicked were slowly replaced by the fanatical and evil. Murder and theft is commonplace, women are forced into prostitution, and children betray their families.

Through it all the protagonist Alex Cave remains true to his belief that society can be saved. Cave proved a likeable hero and a thoroughly believable character.

That takes us to the final chapters where the twist is what I think changed the story from a techno thriller into pure science fiction. I don’t want to go into this much because I have no wish to spoil the book by revealing the ending. Save to say, that I think at this point in the novel the writer dreadfully underplayed the main characters emotional response to the discovery of a vile creature who for whatever insane reasons had caused the almost total breakdown of society and the deaths of countless numbers of people. I would have liked a whirlpool emotion culminating in an unholy cry for revenge.

Even though the villain eventually paid the ultimate price for his diabolical crimes I felt his excuse that the need to save the planet by forcing it technologically backwards, introducing his new tyrannical government, and then in the long run offering a controlled source of new cleaner energy was in part accepted. I may be wrong but it seemed the characters were prepared to accept the argument… that the end justifies the means. The leading characters seemed to take the attitude that what’s done is done and that in these extreme circumstances natural justice should be suspended in favour of cooperation from the surviving villain.

That said, it all made for a very thought provoking story. I enjoyed the yarn and will definitely read other work by this talented storyteller.

Alien Courage (Rise of the Empress Book 1)
Alien Courage (Rise of the Empress Book 1)
Price: 0.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Great SF Story, 2 Feb 2014
A clever narrative makes this an enjoyable book. The plot twists and turns throughout the story. How easily the Confederacy of Planets fell from grace. It was gripping account of galactic blunder that changed everything and Trigeals are an awesome race. I look forward to reading other work from this author.

NATPC M009S 3G (WiFi + 3G) 8GB 7" Capacitive Android Tablet PC - Android 4.0 ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) - use your own SIM card to surf the NET or to make phone calls with in-built MIC or BLUETOOTH headset - DUAL CAMERA

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, 6 May 2013
This is a neat little tablet well worth the money. The android operating system is intended to get the best out of this formidable tablet and the whole thing really works.

Pro Aluminum Hard Case For The Nikon D3200, P7700, 1 V2, J2 Digital SLR Camera
Pro Aluminum Hard Case For The Nikon D3200, P7700, 1 V2, J2 Digital SLR Camera
Offered by Smart Shop UK
Price: 24.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Misled by description, 6 May 2013
When it arrived, it was smaller than I expected but it was a good sturdy design. However, I felt misled because the photograph does not show the large Polaroid logo on the other side of the case. I do not really want to carry my Nikon around in a case designed for Polaroid’s. When I reported this anomaly, I was told the case was manufactured by Polaroid but was adaptable for most cameras. It should have been advertised as a Polaroid professional hard case. That is the description on the box.

In Search of the "God" Particle
In Search of the "God" Particle
Price: 0.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Trionic Theory - Enthused, 9 Nov 2012
This is an inspired short story, told by way of monologue. I would like to hear more about `Trionic Theory' demonstrated or shown, perhaps by way of dialogue, in a future effort by this talented writer.

Show Don't Tell: A Writer's Guide (Classic Wisdom on Writing)
Show Don't Tell: A Writer's Guide (Classic Wisdom on Writing)
Price: 1.49

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is like a summer day, clear and stimulating., 24 Sep 2012
I was enthralled, this is a must have book for any budding author. Every page gives you more, like a fountain of knowledge it flows beautifully refreshing the reader with invaluable inspiration.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Pine Coffee Table, 5 Jun 2012
Flat-pack product that was a little harder to put together than I would like. However the finished product is an excellent quality, timeless, very good-looking piece of furniture. An exquisite pine finished coffee table, with a very useful little drawer, representing very good value for money.

{{GENERAL}}
{{GENERAL}}
Offered by Simply Furnished Ltd
Price: 55.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Solid Nest of Tables, 5 Jun 2012
This review is from: {{GENERAL}}
Flat-pack tables that are easy to put together and look as good as their picture. The finished item is a lovely solid nest of tables. The tables have beautiful pine finish and are a product that offers excellent value for money, highly recommended!