Profile for Ms. C. A. Wardman > Reviews

Content by Ms. C. A. Wardman

Ms. C. A. Wardman "Caroline"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
A Storm of Swords: 2 Blood and Gold (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3, Part 2)
A Storm of Swords: 2 Blood and Gold (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3, Part 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars I love, love, love this series!, 22 Dec. 2010
Once again I read this book(s) directly after book 2 and again I was impressed by the continuity of style and pace. I love the direction in which this series is taking, there are so many twists and turns and unexpected events that you can't stop turning pages! I am now a little obsessed with this book, driving to work on frosty snowy mornings I find myself imagining the Frostfangs... GRRM really, really has a talent for bringing his books alive. Reading the books you get so lost in his other world that you take it for granted that all reading should be this good - he's really very gifted and the scale and scope is amazing once you think about it. Book 4 is sat under the Christmas tree - it will be an effort of will to save it for Christmas day!!

A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire)
A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire)

5.0 out of 5 stars A seamless continuation, 15 Nov. 2010
I read this book directly after reading the first, A Game of Thrones, and was impressed by the seamless transition from one book to the next. The second books flows naturally from the first, introducing new characters and learning more about old ones. The villains get more villanous by the page, they make the story in many respects. In this second part there are magical glimpses enough to whet the appetite but not so much to distract from the war between the kings and the rivalry of the courts.

I love the Direwolf aspect and am exciting to see how this will develop in books to come. I love this series and indeed these characters, they are brilliantly written. I can't compliment the Author enough in his depth of description. I cannot wait to start A Storm of Swords and return to the adventure.

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire)
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire)

5.0 out of 5 stars A very promising start to the series, 21 Oct. 2010
I was really excited to start this book after reading such good reviews on Amazon. I was not in the slightest bit disappointed. As genres go, Fantasy is a new theme for me and so to start with I was expecting some mystical creature to pop up somewhere, but actually this story is far more grounded and could have easily have been set in in an actual time. Its an age old tale of kings, queens, heirs, manipulation and the general struggle for power with each villain set on his or her own gains.

I have to agree with other reviewers who have said its a dark book, where the villains really come into their own. It isn't particularly cheerful but it is completely engrossing. The details are fantstic - at points I almost forgot I was reading as the scenes really came alive in my minds eye without any effort. That's always a big thumbs up in my opinion. The writing style and pace I also found to be spot on, I quite like the way the chapters are broken up as characters. It lends the reader persepctive which you wouldn't gain otherwise, and you learn a surprising amount about the other characters. I think it give a more rounded three dimensional slant to how you as the reader feel about the characters.

It has started off so well I can see this being a favourite series of mine and I'm very much looking forward to the books that follow. Its good - get it!

Hyddenworld: Spring
Hyddenworld: Spring
by William Horwood

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the worst thing I've read..., 27 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Hyddenworld: Spring (Paperback)
But certainly not the best! I picked this up at the airport, had no expectations, hadn't heard of the author before, certainly hadn't looked at any reviews - I just enjoyed it for what it was - a simple little story. Good for reading inbetween hard going epic books of descriptive destruction, wars and dramas where your mind would quite like an easy going break and your imaginiation can run riot and get a bit silly! Its a nice story - I would guess aimed at young teenagers? Its been a while since I read it - probably about 12 months or so, but I find myself now and again thinking, 'hmmmm I wonder if there's a sequel to this yet...'so this little tale must have left more than an impression in my easy reading mind! If you have young teenagers this book adresses some issues pretty well, I can imagine it appealing to a younger mind.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2011 11:18 AM BST

The Left Hand of God
The Left Hand of God
by Paul Hoffman

2.0 out of 5 stars Bewildering and poorly put together, 27 Sept. 2010
This review is from: The Left Hand of God (Paperback)
For the first half of this book the more I read the more confused I was. I'm guessing this is written for teenagers with some deeply hidden messages regarding authority, abuse, mistrust of guardian figures and general defiance of regime.... but its wierd - and not in a good way. Its badly put together so from the point of the reader I couldn't care less about the characters or empathise with them at all - I only finished it out of a mild curiosity to what the hell its all about and where its going. This book's greatest success was to make me read it with a perpetual frown. if it was better written with more depth and description it could be made easier to follow by the reader - and perhaps made enjoyable. I just found it bewildering and pointless. If you've just finished a good, well written book don't read this, a very poor and unsatisfying read.

World Without End
World Without End
by Ken Follett

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as Pillars of the Earth, 15 Sept. 2010
This review is from: World Without End (Paperback)
Having absolutely loved Pillars of the Earth I already had World Without End lined up ready. I would say its much of the same, but in this case that's no bad thing as that is what I wanted more of. Kingsbridge still suffers the same vein of unjust and corrupt baddies and saintly persecuted goodies - and repetitive though it is I still couldn't get enough of it. Follett writes the characters and the era so well that you are taken in by the heart of the town and people in it with their joys, struggles and lives. A great read, a would recommend to anyone and everyone. Don't be daunted by the size of the book - the ending comes all too quickly. Well done Ken Follett!

Revelation (The Shardlake Series)
Revelation (The Shardlake Series)
by C. J. Sansom

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad read, but not for me..., 17 Aug. 2010
I am quite surprised to see so many 5 star reviews on this book, admittedly I picked this up at the airport having no knowledge on the books, the author or that it was part of a larger series. I think you must need to be a Shardlake fan to appreciate this fully. I found it not a bad read - a little too god fearing for my taste, with continual religious referals (but I guess that goes hand in hand with the time in which its set) Good for passing a few hours on a sun lounger but I'm not compelled to read any more from this series.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2010 1:14 PM GMT

The Appeal
The Appeal
by John Grisham

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful Read, 17 Aug. 2010
This review is from: The Appeal (Paperback)
This isn't my usual genre so granted this review may be unfair - this book has completely put me off reading anything remotely similar in the future. It has to have been the dullest read I have ever encounted. I did read it through to the end but found myself skim reading just to finish it. A little too bogged downed with American legal terms and jargon for my liking. I wouldn't recommend.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2011 8:11 PM BST

The Pillars of the Earth
The Pillars of the Earth
by Ken Follett

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad to finish it, 11 Aug. 2010
A really captivating read, I couldn't put it down. Loved the characters and the general pace of the book. I genuinely looked forward to getting lost in Kingsbridge at any available moment and once I'd picked it up I couldn't stop for hours. Probably my best read of the year - if I could have given it a 6 out of 5 I would I enjoyed it so much. Although it is an 'epic' of a book you are so quickly drawn to a story that flows so seamlessly that you really wouldn't wish it shorter. I was really loathed to finish it. Ken Follett writes this era so well, I was mildly apprehensive that there may be constant religious batterings like some other books I have read set in similar times - but thankfully Follett does a great job in swerving the details. Great book about love, life, courage and power. I only hope World Without End is as good!

Troy: Fall of Kings (Trojan War Trilogy): 3
Troy: Fall of Kings (Trojan War Trilogy): 3
by Stella Gemmell
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars A bitter Sweet End to an Amazing Trilogy, 20 July 2010
I loved each one of the Troy books but the last is my favourite. The ending in particular moved me, partly because my Troy adventure was over, partly because I can imagine how sad that ending must have been to write. I cannot recommend this series enough. I'm looking forward to reading them all again in the not too distant future. It was a great adventure.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3