Profile for Mr. Sasha Clarkson > Reviews

Content by Mr. Sasha Clarkson

Mr. Sasha Clarkson (Pembrokeshire UK)

Page: 1 | 2
4 x Genuine Eveready brand GU10 LED bulbs 30 LED's per bulb. only 1.5w power use.
Offered by UKHobbyStore ~ PowerSaveBulbs UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good - and will get better., 21 Jan 2010
This type of bulb is the future and will only get better! I bought some on an experimental basis to replace 7W cfl gu10 spots in my kitchen. The light output is similar, but is in a narrower beam than the Megaman bulbs I was replacing - ie a genuine spotlight. It is a pleasant warm light, not the harsh blue emitted by some led bulbs

The bulbs run mildly warm - MUCH cooler to touch than the bulbs they are replacing. They are also shorter - almost as short as a comparable halogen bulb.

StarTech.com 5 Channel PCI Sound Adapter Card with AC97 3D Audio Effects
StarTech.com 5 Channel PCI Sound Adapter Card with AC97 3D Audio Effects

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for linux!, 21 Jan 2010
My old sound card was dying, so I needed a linux compatible replacement. It was easy to fit, and worked out of the box, My PClinuxOS system configured it automatically on the first bootup, so I didn't have to do anything. The midi port interfaces seamlessly with my Roland keyboard. I haven't been able to access the onboard wavetable, but that isn't an issue for me, as I use Timidity with a selection of soundfonts for midi playback on the computer.

The important thing determining system compatibility with sound and video cards is not the card manufacturer, but the chipset manufacturer. This card has a Cmedia CMI8738 chipset.

Money: Whence It Came, Where It Went
Money: Whence It Came, Where It Went
by John Kenneth Galbraith

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, both about money, and history!, 6 July 2009
What is the difference between digging gold out of the ground to coin, and printing paper money? The answer is shocking: in principle at least, not a lot!

Early in this fascinating book, Galbraith describes the inflation in Europe caused by the influx of gold and silver from the Spanish American Colonies. Later he details various experiments in banking and currency, including such bizarre innovations as tobacco certificates. Then his story follows the rise and fall of the gold standard, and the evolution of modern central banking. He also describes how banks can and do create money by enabling (at least) two people to spend the same money at the same time. All this is told in the proper context of the historical events which drove, and were driven by these developments.

Galbraith (1908 - 2006) was born over a century ago: hence his style may seem a little archaic to the modern reader. He is nonetheless very entertaining and at times hilarious. Another reviewer described this book as biased. I have never read an economics book which was not. Galbraith has an undisguised contempt for those who unthinkingly accept what he calls the "conventional wisdom"; but his real bias is in favour of a monetary system which is subservient to the needs of the wider economy, and hence to the greatest good of the greatest number. However, the mark of his scholarship is that those of another political persuasion could reach different conclusions while disputing very few of the facts presented.

I am very glad that this most excellent work is back in print.

Mist Over Pendle
Mist Over Pendle
by Robert Neill

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterly storytelling, meticulous historical accuracy., 22 Nov 2008
This review is from: Mist Over Pendle (Paperback)
Robert Neill is a wonderful writer. Sadly, most if not all of his works are now out of print, and disappearing from public libraries due to wear and tear.

In this novel, Neill offers us an insight into the society and mindset of the early Stuart period. Meticulously researched, it is nonetheless a gripping tale. Neill shows us flawed humanity, but, wherever possible, with warmth and compassion.

I do wish all his books could be reprinted: this one deserves to be adapted as a television drama.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 2, 2013 2:56 PM GMT

Sony KDL32D3000 - 32'' Widescreen Bravia HD Ready LCD TV - With Freeview
Sony KDL32D3000 - 32'' Widescreen Bravia HD Ready LCD TV - With Freeview

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, fantastic service from Amazon, 30 Jan 2008
I made my choice of TV after about three weeks' careful comparison of the specifications of various TVs and consideration of others' reviews. Thanks to all those who took the time to share their thoughts and explain some of the technicalities.* I decided I could afford either a top of the range 32" TV or a lower quality 37" one; in the end I plumped for the former.

I ordered this TV at about 9:50 yesterday with free super saver delivery (I have always found this to be more than adequate in this part of the world). Anyway, Parcel Force delivered it to me in Pembrokeshire at 10:50 this morning - what more could one ask?

As my house is undergoing some renovations, I set it up in a temporary location with an internal aerial next to a window and no booster. By 11:15 it had tuned itself in to all available analogue and digital channels. The digital reception is better and more stable than my old TV had with an external booster. The picture quality is excellent without any tweaking, but no doubt I shall find ways to improve it further. The size seems just right for my 12'x15' lounge. The sound is awesome too. I have also ordered a PS3-40 for use as a CD/DVD/Blu-Ray player - I can't wait to see what the HD quality will be like; I also intend to connect that and the TV to my laptop - Watch this space!

Griffin Technology iMic USB Audio Interface
Griffin Technology iMic USB Audio Interface

5.0 out of 5 stars Exellent item - provides full stereo input in Linux, 8 Dec 2007
I bought this item to make recordings with my Sony ECM-DS70P stereo microphone in Linux.

It's very light, very compact and is recognized automatically by the latest version of ALSA (1.015) running on PClinuxOS. Gives excellent stereo input into kwave (my recording software of choice) even at half volume on the input level.

Very impressed,