Profile for Jen > Reviews

Content by Jen

Jen (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Nowhere But Here (Thunder Road, Book 1)
Nowhere But Here (Thunder Road, Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A great new series from Katie McGarry, 29 May 2015
Nowhere But Here had a slow start but gathered pace really well. It didn't grip me as much as previous books by Katie McGarry, but it was definitely a good read and well worth your time.

The story follows Emily & Oz - two kids from different worlds. Emily is as sheltered as they come and Oz is due to patch-in to a motorcycle club any day. Their worlds collide when Emily is forced to attend a funeral in Oz's hometown, Snowflake. She finds out that she has actually got an awful lot of family that she never knew about. She has no interest in getting to know these rough biker types though, which makes things interesting when circumstances get a bit dangerous, forcing Emily to stay put in Snowflake. Oz is forced to babysit her, and neither of them are pleased about it.

Nowhere But Here seemed to draw quite a bit on Sons of Anarchy, and anyone who liked that show will enjoy it. For the most part, the actual story is unique but I found the characters too easy to mix up with the show. Cyrus/Clay is the gruff older guy in charge of the Reign of Terror (SoA) MC in Snowflake/Charming, his tough wife Olivia/Gemma rules the roost in skin tight jeans with a no-shit-Sherlock attitude, and Oz channels a young Jax Teller. Other characters fit less well into the SoA mould, but I found myself imagining Emily's birth father, Eli, as Chibs. I would be really interested how other fans of the show found this read and if they draw the same parallels as I did.

Sons of Anarchy aside, I liked the mystery that Nowhere But Here contained. Emily is kept firmly in the dark about the events of her younger years - she knows her Mom ran away from Eli, but the more time she spends in Snowflake, the more she has reason to doubt the version of events that she was fed. Ultimately, the lies are exposed and both Oz and Emily learn the hard way of the damage they cause. Along the way they have a few arguments and a couple of heated moments which were simply delicious. I did find it a little cheesy how Emily repeated her desire to remain a virgin, long after she realised that she loves Oz... it felt thrown in there for the sake of keeping randy teens everywhere aware that they don't have to have sex. A worthy message, but it didn't flow with the characters or their circumstances for me.

Emily wasn't that likable at first - she is a terrified and panicked little girl. When she relaxes a little bit she becomes a lot more likable, and I downright LOVED her sass, when it finally emerged. Oz was always book boyfriend material, and girls everywhere will swoon over him and his bike. (Parents beware?!)

Leifheit Linomatic Rotary Washing Line 400, 40 m
Leifheit Linomatic Rotary Washing Line 400, 40 m

4.0 out of 5 stars Super duper with one or two "be awares", 11 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When it comes, the dryer is in one piece, which is about 7 foot tall... don't have it delivered to work unless your car is accomodating! I was not sure if the lines would already be strung up or not, as you can't see through the packaging to tell... they are and they are retracted inside the arms of the dryer, where they should live most of the time.

To install the dryer I had to dig a hole, put the plastic socket into it, and fill with quick dry cement. This sounded daunting to a DIY incompetant person like me, but actually wasn't hard at all. I got my ready-mix bag of cement from Homebase for £6 and it was really easy - just put the powder in the hole and water it until the water starts to puddle. Easy! It set in abotu ten minutes too which was good. I didn't cement it all the way up the socket though as I wanted to cover the top with soil... not a problem! Now its all in the ground there is only a minor wiggle, and I don't think it will collapse. The plastic ground socket has a lid, which I suppose is to make it all look neat in the winter, when you would probably take the dryer down... normally this lid should attach into two holes in the main pole of the dryer... this is flawed though - it gets in the way of the dryer rotating, and if I let the lid clip in, the prongs would probably snap off in windy weather. So my lid is gloriously flapping about at the bottom of the pole now. :)

To get the dryer up is a complete piece of cake - just pull the toggle and keep pulling until it is up. To put it down is pretty much as easy. Certainly easy enough to do while holding a full washing basket. I am at a loss what to do with the toggle cord once the thing is up though - it's long and I'd like somewhere to clip the red handle to so it (and a metre or so of cord) doesn't just lie on the ground.

The lines on the dryer are a thin cord, which is thinner than standard washing lines - my old pegs are pretty loose and I've bought new ones with a smaller hole, so they grasp the material more. The lines are also a little slippy - even with the new pegs, some items of clothing slide together, which stops them drying quite so well. You do need to be more brutal in your pegging!! I'm also surprised that it isn't taller once installed - I'm 5ft 6 and I do have to duck a bit here and there - good for ladies of a shorter persuasion!

All of that said, I love this! It's SO much nicer than my old dryer: I think that I'm much less likely to be hit on the head by low swinging spiders, my clothes won't be covered in cobwebs and other dirt, its so easy to take down that I actually will do it, and it is less of an eyesore in my garden. There is a separately sold cover for the whole thing too, which I have bought, and it'll stay nice for years. If I move, yes I'll need to buy a new base, but they aren't that expensive.

However, if you are the sort who won't be bothered to put the arms up and down, then it probably isn't worth buying it!

Beco Pets Eco-Friendly Medium Beco Ball - Blue - 6.5 cm
Beco Pets Eco-Friendly Medium Beco Ball - Blue - 6.5 cm

5.0 out of 5 stars A dark horse!, 11 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I first got this, I'll admit I wasn't that impressed. It looks like one of my other dog balls, once my English Toy Terrier has destroyed the squeaker!! It's lumpy, has a hole in, and in all honesty I really didn't think my dog would bother with it at all.

I'm happy to be wrong! She loves it! She's been carrying it about and chasing it inside quite a lot really - its a good inside ball, because it is light enough not to cause any damage. The hole is just the right size to put a good treat in, and not fall out immediately, thus puzzling the pup! (Harrington's Salmon Rolls are perfect for this!)

It's also soft enough that even my tiny doggie can get her jaws around it and carry it about quite happily, and as it seems to be digestible, I'm not worried if she does trash it. That said, it seems fairly indestructible at this point!

It bounces quite strangely, and makes a nice noise as it bounces too, and this might be part of the attraction for my dog. I don't know if it does smell good to her, but it didn't smell particularly special to me!

Maclaren Indulging Body Butter
Maclaren Indulging Body Butter
Offered by Brooklyn Trading Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Standard body butter with added organic-points, 11 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have a number of body butter type moisturisers now, and this product works about as well as any of them - it is better than a simple moisturiser, but not significantly better than any of the good quality body butter products I have at home.

If you are looking for a body butter that does the same as all the rest, but avoids the "nasty" chemicals that the others have, then this will be the one for you. Personally, I don't find there to be much difference in how it works, and I didn't actually like the smell very much. I've been using it on my dog's ear tips (anything that can go on a baby's skin works for dogs skin too) and it has worked quite nicely on the very dry skin there. I felt happy to use it on her because it seems pretty gentle, so good for baby too.

I think the price point is a bit high for such a small tube, even allowing for the richness of the cream - a little will go a long way, but for the price, you'd want it to. Around the £5 mark would be better value.

The packaging for this product was also completely ridiculous. It was packaged in its own (plain brown) cardboard box, which was then put inside another shoe-box sized box for delivery - for one small tube it was far too much. If you care enough about the environment to buy expensive organic body butter, then this will probably annoy you!

The Furchester Hotel Cookie Monster Jumbo Plush Toy
The Furchester Hotel Cookie Monster Jumbo Plush Toy
Offered by BestChoice-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars They are big and very easy to knock yourself on, 8 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The fact that both my boyfriend and I have to take turns with Cookie Monster while watching TV should tell you all you need to know about his cuddle-worthiness.

The only downside to CM are his hard plastic eyeballs! They are big and very easy to knock yourself on... They could have been felted or something to soften them up.

Otherwise, a really good size for squishing with a hug or five!

Braun Face 810 Facial Epilator and Facial Cleansing Brush
Braun Face 810 Facial Epilator and Facial Cleansing Brush

3.0 out of 5 stars Gets 90% of hairs pretty easily, 20 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I tried this out first on some fine hairs around my mouth, as the instructions suggested for initial practise. It hurt like hell and drew blood!! However I pressed on and had a go on my eyebrows, which was what I wanted it for. It was pretty good - very handy that the epilator can change direction - however I found that it wouldn't pick up all the hairs. One or two were really tricky angles I suppose, and I ended up going back to my tweezers for them. I also found that the epilator struggled a tiny bit with slightly thicker hairs (as come out of a mole etc). I spent some time trying to get the gadget to get them, and I just gave up - hence the 3 star rating. It'll get 90% of hairs with no real problem.

The cleaner brush head is very nice; it gives a good exfoliation and leaves my face feeling nice and squeaky clean, and changing between the epilator head and the cleaner head was really easy. I love the lid for the epilator, which somehow makes it feel like more of a quality product. The tiny brush that comes with it for cleaning plucked hairs out is a bit unnecessary though.

Oral-B Precision Clean Three Replacement Toothbrush Heads
Oral-B Precision Clean Three Replacement Toothbrush Heads

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy!, 20 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Very handy to get right to the back of my teeth, around my wisdom teeth. Have found that I'm having fewer problems with the wisdom teeth now that I can really get in behind them and clean them better. The small head it just perfect for the job. The heads also seem to last quite a while before they get all splayed out and faded.

More expensive than a regular toothbrush but cheaper in the long run if I can avoid wisdom tooth issues and cavities!!

Oral-B Vitality Plus TriZone Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush
Oral-B Vitality Plus TriZone Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush
Offered by Innox Trading

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good!, 20 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Very good product - I like the 2 minute timer, and the fact that a variety of Oral B heads will fit on. The recharge station is minimal, so doesn't take up much counter space, although the flex could be longer. I've ended up getting a plug adapter and charging it in the kitchen as it is more convenient there. The recharge is really quick and lasts for ages - I have taken this away on holiday without the charger and it lasted really well - it was only slowing down by the end of my week away.

BiC Cristal Fun Ball Pen - Purple (Box of 20)
BiC Cristal Fun Ball Pen - Purple (Box of 20)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 4 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love these pens! They write really nicely and produce a nice thick line.

The pens come with a plastic ball over the tip that you need to break off before use - a little messy but no problem.

No real downsides - they might run out slightly faster than I'm used to due to the thicker line, but it's no real problem.

The kids I teach also love these pens - they all want one!

Revlon ColorStay 16 Hour Eye Shadow - 4.8 g, Addictive
Revlon ColorStay 16 Hour Eye Shadow - 4.8 g, Addictive

4.0 out of 5 stars Colorstay... for a while., 22 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Really nice colours that work together to give a natural look that lasts pretty well. I did expect it to stay in place a little better than it did though; for a product called colorstay I was a little disappointed that the darker colours built up in the crease of my eyelid in the same way that other eyeshadows can.

Its no better or worse than the other products I use, but I liked the application instructions and they helped me to blend all four colours together for a natural look.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20