Profile for Ishmael Kavalier > Reviews

Ishmael Kavalier

The Complete Bach Edition [USB MEMORY STICK]
The Complete Bach Edition [USB MEMORY STICK]
Price: 158.48

1.0 out of 5 stars The dumbest idea: Bach in a lossy format in a USB drive, 13 July 2013
I have 2 sets of Bach's complete works: Hänssler and Brilliant Classics. And as much as I'd like to have a third one, I don't see the point in paying 136 pounds for such sublime music in a lossy format.
It doesn't matter how good are the files: if you have a nice equipment, you'll notice the difference and wonder why you wasted your money in this.
If this is the way Warner is trying to keep up with the times, someone should tell them about HDtracks or, for that matter, that there are lossless formats.
I just can't see the point in selling lossy formats to an audience interested in buying a set with the complete works of JS Bach.

Vampires [DVD] [1999]
Vampires [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ James Woods
Offered by TwoRedSevens
Price: 4.99

1.0 out of 5 stars John Carpenter's worst movie (or very close to being it), 16 April 2011
This review is from: Vampires [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
I can't recommend this movie to anyone. It's the product of a once great director in his lowest shape.
James Woods doesn't seem to know what he's doing in a terrible movie as this, and he's done some awful ones... Daniel Baldwin is just one of the worst actors I've seen on screen in my life, and the script is just hilarious.
Don't waste your time and money on this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 13, 2012 1:46 AM BST

Scarlatti : Complete Keyboard Works
Scarlatti : Complete Keyboard Works
Price: 82.82

5.0 out of 5 stars A must., 6 Oct 2007
Do you think that just because you can't copy the cds you can rate this as only 3 stars? You need to lack something to do so.

This is just the only version of Scarlatti's works you need to own. You could do without Belder's good but not good enough version, and the same could apply to Lester's recordings.

This is a must by the best harpsichord player in the last 30 years.

A must.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 22, 2012 7:16 PM BST

Feltrinelli: A Story of Riches, Revolution, and Violent Death
Feltrinelli: A Story of Riches, Revolution, and Violent Death
by Carlo Feltrinelli

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning: this is an abridged version., 12 Aug 2007
I don't recommend this book to anyone. Though very interesting, recently another version, the original one, fell in my hands and I discovered, to my surprise, that the book I had bought (this one) is around 60 pages shorter than the original one.

Don't waste your money on this book. Buy "Senior Service", by Carlo Feltrinelli, which contains the amazing story of Giangiacomo Feltrinelli, one of the most important publishers of the 20th century.

Tafelmusic Complete
Tafelmusic Complete

5.0 out of 5 stars Great performances, this ensemble makes the set really worth owning., 18 Mar 2007
This review is from: Tafelmusic Complete (Audio CD)
I recommend this set to anyone with an interest in baroque music. There are other complete recordings of Telemann's Tafelmusik, like the one by Goebel's Musica Antiqua, that are absolutely great.

But this one by Musica Amphion is not less good than that much more expensive set. Believe me if I tell you that the players are exceptional and the direction has extracted the best out of these compositions. You can follow the complete 4 cd set and enjoy every bit of it, from the more playful parts to the intimate ones, without losing any interest in the performances.

Bach - Complete Works [155CD Box Set]
Bach - Complete Works [155CD Box Set]

5.0 out of 5 stars A great work as a whole, 5 Mar 2007
Though I have my favourites by now, and I must admit some of the cds are just hard to bear, this is a great set. The organ works set, comprised of 17 cds by the great Hans Fagius, or the 12 cds of the keyboard works, plus the complete set of cantatas are more than enough reasons to buy this.

Of course there are better performances of most of these recordings. In some cases, the ones included in this box are my favourites ever, as with the English Suites by von Asperen or the Joseph Payne's French suites.

The cantatas are in general excellent. I don't mind the short time in which they were recorded. Of course there are flaws, but tell me only one set that doesn't have them. I have my reservations about even the best sets by Gardiner or Koopman.

There are at least 50 cds you will find excellent, which makes this set worth buying.

Bach - Mass in B minor
Bach - Mass in B minor
Price: 17.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 28 Feb 2007
This review is from: Bach - Mass in B minor (Audio CD)
Though I prefer Richter's rendition, I must confess I was quite surprised when I heard this for the first time. There are some parts I think lack the strength they deserve, like the first chorus Kyrie Eleison.

I think the sound is exceptional and the rendition is full of emotion. I'm no expert, so I can't get into details, but I can tell you I've found this version incredibly rewarding from start to finish. Maybe I'd prefer Richter's version, or Klemperer's, but I know I'll be going back to listen to this recording for a long time.

I think this is included in the Bach complete works of Brilliant Classics, and if that's right, it could easily be a reason to buy the set.

Live At The Matrix - La 1967
Live At The Matrix - La 1967
Price: 12.69

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice bootleg, 19 Aug 2006
I like this album, but it's nothing but a nice bootleg. The sound is quite good, but don't expect the quality of, say, Absolutely live. The soundboard recording of this isn't great, it's a bit noisy sometimes, as if it was a superb audience recording, but without the chatting and clapping.

The performance is great, though.

The Definitive
The Definitive

5.0 out of 5 stars A great and careful compilation., 14 May 2006
This review is from: The Definitive (Audio CD)
I don't know exactly what quality anyone could expect from a 20s recording. Of course there's a lot of crackling. Try to listen beyond that, because what's behind the noise is what the legend is made of.

This set has been remastered, and the sound is as good as it gets (considering the age of the acetates). If you want a great Charley Patton set, and you don't want to spend as much as with the 5cd sets, this is your choice.

Anyone disappointed with the quality of the sound doesn't know what he's getting into. And that's not the record's fault, but his.

A Ghost Is Born
A Ghost Is Born
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 7.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Tweedy know exactly what he's looking for., 22 Mar 2005
This review is from: A Ghost Is Born (Audio CD)
I don't think Wilco are staggering along any musical path. They're an incredibly tight band with a genius creating some of the most beautiful and intriguing songs I've heard in many years.
A ghost is born is a record that won't allow you to just sit and have it playing in the background while you do something else. It demands your attention, and though in the beginning you might not be willing to give it, I found it's an incredibly rewarding record. After a good number of listens, it grew on me, and now I find it just irresistible.