Profile for C. Warrior > Reviews

Content by C. Warrior

C. Warrior "Gloucester Viewer"

Asus BDS 500 DVD Player
Asus BDS 500 DVD Player
Price: 117.99

4.0 out of 5 stars As a Blu ray player, does the job, 19 Dec 2013
I thought long and hard about purchasing this player. I trawled through internet forums after reading less than positive reviews on here but seeing a fairly bargain price, I decided to take the plunge. And I’m glad I did. A lot of the complaints are around the streaming element of the player, firstly I haven’t used this feature at all. There’s far cheaper alternatives if you need a media player. I was attracted to the Asus thanks to the features matching that of much more expensive blu ray players. It can be easily multi-regional configurable (for both DVD’s AND blu rays) and this doesn’t have Cinavia protection. The player itself is very smart with a nice finish, the disc loader is hidden behind a panel that automatically drops down. I couldn’t help but remark that it was a “nice action” a la’ Alan Partridge from the Knowing me Knowing Yule specials!

I played several discs after taking it out the box, original dvd’s and blu rays and DVD-R’s and BD-R’s. Some of the BD’s my former player (a pretty ancient Samsung BDP-1500) struggled to even load, this did so in a flash. The picture quality is excellent as is the sound, and the remote control is nicely designed and illuminates on touch.

I’ve seen reports of stuttering discs, overheating/stalling players etc, lip sync issues. I did no updates originally and every disc played faultlessly but on the 4th or 5th disc I tried (Die Harder Blu Ray) the player did indeed freeze on several occasions which meant me having to reboot it. On a blu ray of “Now you see me”, there was notable lip synching issues (I’m using a Pioneer surround sound system via HDMI) to the point where I had to pause and play again every 20 minutes or so to try and sort out. I didn’t receive any more issues but decided, as there were several newer updates available, to update it to the latest firmware via the internet. Since then I’ve had no lip sync issues, no crashes, no stuttering. Nothing. And there’s still no Cinavia either.

The player also has YouTube and internet radio along with some other integrated features (although the likes of Lovefilm, I Player and Netflix etc came after the production date and thus aren’t included).

Personally I think the player gets a unnecessarily bad rep, the price and features make it a bargain in my book. If you want a streamer, like I said I haven’t tested this and if reports are believed to be true then the BDS’s aren’t much cop for them. But if you want a decent blu ray player that is multi region, has no Cinavia and has features that players 3 or 4 times the price have then you’d be hard pressed to find something better.

The Matrix Reloaded (2 Disc Edition) [2003] [DVD]
The Matrix Reloaded (2 Disc Edition) [2003] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Keanu Reeves
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.12

3.0 out of 5 stars hmm-undecided, 27 Nov 2003
Following on from the huge critical and commercial success of the original movie was always going to be tough,so have the Wachowski brothers managed it?The one major flaw of this film is Neo,played by Keanu Reeves.In the original matrix we are given the chance to see him develop into the "one" and an insight into the world of the matrix just as he is.However Neo seems completely detached from his past other life in the matrix,and is basically a kung-fu superman.Fishburnes' Morpheus is now seen as a radical preacher in zion yet still comes out with the same irritating non-logical paragraphs.And that leads us on to Zion,home of the ministry of sound by the looks of it.It features one of the most absurd and overlong sequences ivé ever seen in a film where hundreds of scantly clad guys and gals dance about covered in sweat.A few minutes before that Morpheus had told them robots were going to attack and that the end of Zion was near,but eh who cares slam on that Judge Jules club hits Kiss in Ibiza cd and crank up the volume eh?!
Some of the characters are under used,the ghostly indestrucible twins who had a great ten minutes yet depite being shot at,being able to walk through walls/doors and jump into 4x4's going 100 mph on a freeway somehow managed to die when a few bullets go into the jeep and it blows up?
Agent Smith is now just a panto like villan,who pops up every now and again to have a pop at Neo and Morpheus,although the scene with hundreds of Smith's fighting in the square is truely breathtaking.
The architect scene is oe of the most pompous and ridiculous things ever,where an old white beardered man with a anglo-american transatlantic accent talks about the matrix to Neo in pointless words and sentances.If they try to make him look intelligent fine but the constant usages of "er go" and "appro po" (latin in the matrix!?) make the whole thing look pretty stupid.
The film itself is not that bad,just not a patch on the first.Sure its a triology and its the middle one but countless trilogys have had better "in betweens" than this.Great special effects (the Neo vs Smiths' and the freeway pileup really have to be seen to be believed),and a thumping soundtrack have frankly taken over the plot,(with the odd exception) bad acting and confused dialogue.Switch off your brain for a couple of hours and its enjoyable enough though.
The 2nd DVD is a shameless marketing ploy-buy all the matrix merchandise!Even to include a matrix video game making of.The one saving grace is a very funny MTV piss take with Justin Timberlake and Sean William Scott,with the ever hilarious Will Ferrell as the architect which really summed up my particular feeling towards that part of the movie.