Profile for Mudhog > Reviews

Blown to Smithereens Best of the Smithereens
Blown to Smithereens Best of the Smithereens
Price: 15.37

4.0 out of 5 stars Behind a Wall of Sleep, 23 Nov 2012
Originally only bought this for "Behind the Wall of Sleep" and "Blue Period" and it's worth it just for those two songs alone (they were the only two songs I'd heard). However, it turns out that The Smithereens are a great band!I don't think there is a duff track on here. It is bizarre that they are not more widely known.

Foolkiller (LP Version)
Foolkiller (LP Version)
Price: 0.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a great song, 23 Nov 2012
This was the first Mose Allison song I ever heard, probably about 30 years ago. Gary Crowley played it on his show on Capital radio. Such a cool song. Great lyrics and dynamite piano playing.

I Had Too Much To Dream (Last Night)
I Had Too Much To Dream (Last Night)
Price: 0.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Song, great band, 23 Nov 2012
As it says. I'd never heard this song before I started getting into 60's garage bands and can't believe it's not more widely played. A classic.

Hey Bo Diddley
Hey Bo Diddley
Offered by Discs4all
Price: 4.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Hey Bo Diddley!, 22 Nov 2012
This review is from: Hey Bo Diddley (Audio CD)
Great Rock N Roll. There's a reason they still go on about guys like Bo Diddley. I don't know how they recorded this stuff but I'm guessing there wasn't much in the way of overdubs. Get a gang of great musicians in a room, stick a microphone on them and record what comes out. That's the way to make tracks like this.

Marvellous stuff.

Master Shots: v. 2: 100 Ways to Shoot Great Dialogue Scenes
Master Shots: v. 2: 100 Ways to Shoot Great Dialogue Scenes
by Christopher Kenworthy
Price: 12.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful idea generator, 22 Nov 2012
This was very good. I had a look at V 1 but didn't find it quite so useful, but then someone new to filmmaking would probably get a lot out of it. I've filmed many, many dialogue scenes and was feeling a bit jaded with the process and found myself slipping into the same staging and tried & trusted shots over & over again. Simple is nearly always better but it's nice to have a bit of inspiration sometimes and this was a good little refresher.

Obviously how you film a scene depends on what it's about and what you're trying to say but there are some good general principles in here that you can apply in lots of cases.

Understand Existentialism: Teach Yourself
Understand Existentialism: Teach Yourself
by Mel Thompson
Price: 8.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear & Simple, 22 Nov 2012
Now I've read it I pretty much understand the basics of Existentialism. Never found it an easy subject but all these "Understand" series are pretty good and this one is no exception. If you are looking for an introduction then I'm sure this is good as anything and better than the others I've read. Unfortunately I was reading it on a train and someone nicked it when I was in the toilet. That's existentialists for you - they make their own morals. Luckily I was nearly at the end (of the book, not the journey). Asked at the lost property office at Euston Station in case anyone had handed it in but they hadn't. And I probably sounded like a right ponce to the girl behind the counter.

Anyway, I will definitely be buying another copy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 10, 2014 6:15 PM GMT

Vegan for Life
Vegan for Life
by Virginia Messina
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Vegan for Life, 22 Nov 2012
This review is from: Vegan for Life (Paperback)
If you are turning, or thinking of turning vegan this is a great book. No nonsense. Told me what I wanted to know & lives in the kitchen. There may be other, better, books around but this will do me. Contains some pretty cool recipes but there are more extensive vegan cookbooks out there. That's not what this is about though. I felt it told me what I need. How I chuck it together is my business.

The Fever
The Fever
by Wallace Shawn
Price: 7.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Inconceivable!..., 22 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Fever (Paperback)
..that this isn't performed more often, though I suppose as a monologue it's a right pig to learn all the words. If you've ever read anything else by Wallace Shawn you'll know roughly what to expect. It's not necessarily an easy read as he does like to make you think. At the end of the day you owe it to yourself to read this. It's about something important. Plus it's only a couple of quid which is not bad for something that could change the whole way you see the world. Of course, you might not, you might think it's rubbish, but at least you've heard the arguments.

Also see his book of essays, and of course, the Designated Mourner which is probably my favourite play though this comes pretty close.

Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness
Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness
by Steve Friedman

4.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes you just do things..., 22 Nov 2012
Very inspiring. It's lightweight & typical of these kind of sports memoirs but the fact remains that Scott Jurek is a monster and cut from different cloth to most of the rest of us. I was already following a vegan diet and running when I could but I've certainly amped it up a bit since reading this. You really can do pretty much anything if you want it enough.

The Night Circus
The Night Circus
by Erin Morgenstern
Price: 3.86

4.0 out of 5 stars Magical, 22 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Night Circus (Paperback)
This is crying out to have a film made of it and it should have been done about twenty years ago with Keanu Reeves & Winona Ryder. Can't think who would be in it today. I've known people who would drop everything and go and live in the Night Circus if they could. I think it would creep me out if I had to stay there forever. The book on the other hand, I couldn't put down. Just when you think there's nothing left to think up, along comes something like this. Read it.

Page: 1 | 2