Profile for Paul Westerman > Reviews

Content by Paul Westerman

Paul Westerman (West Sussex)

Page: 1 | 2
SoundMAGIC E10 Earphones - Silver/Black
SoundMAGIC E10 Earphones - Silver/Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 20 Jun 2014
Bought these to replace my similarly-priced Sennheisers. To me, these sound much better - greatly improved bass response and control with a smooth midrange. I mostly listen to spoken word and classical, so metal heads might want something more aggresive but rock tracks I listened to had an involving up-front sound I really liked. Construction wise, the phones feel very solid. The cable is excellent - thick, robust and resistant to tangling. Much better than the thin rubbery cable on my old ones, that was constantly getting stretched and tangle and ultimately broke. These are excellent phones and great value.

TECHGEAR® HIGH QUALITY USB CABLE FOR APPLE IPOD SHUFFLE AND SHUFFLE CLIP 3G AND 4G - iPod shuffle USB charging and sync cable compatible with Macs and PCs
Offered by TECHGEAR Solutions

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow it works, 20 Jun 2014
Bought cheap Shuffle cables before and they usually do nothing or fall to pieces. So I was wary about this one but it's fine, plugged in to my PC and charged my Shuffle (4th gen).

Decrescent Universal Smart Stand for Smartphone/Mobile Phone/iPhone - Black
Decrescent Universal Smart Stand for Smartphone/Mobile Phone/iPhone - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but note charging position, 11 Dec 2013
This stand is a solid, well-engineered folding metal stand that comes in an attractive and compact case. I use it to stand my phone on my desk at work. However, if your phone is like mine and has the USB socket on the bottom, you can't charge the phone when it's on the stand as it's too low - there's no room for the USB plug. It might just fit with a right-angled micro USB cable (available on Amazon!)

Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013, Licence Card, 1 User (PC)
Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013, Licence Card, 1 User (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Important note about license transfer, 21 May 2013
Potential buyers should note that following a lot of negative press about non-transferable Office licenses, Microsoft changed this policy in March 2013.
You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you, but not more than one time every 90 days (except due to hardware failure, in which case you may transfer sooner).

"Based on customer feedback we have changed the Office 2013 retail license agreement to allow customers to transfer the software from one computer to another," Microsoft's Jevon Fark said in a blog post on Wednesday. "This means customers can transfer Office 2013 to a different computer if their device fails or they get a new one."
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2014 9:26 PM BST

JVC HAFR36BE Marshmallow Headphones with Remote and Microphone - Black
JVC HAFR36BE Marshmallow Headphones with Remote and Microphone - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't quite do everything, 19 Jan 2012
The product description states that the remote does search and volume - it doesn't (unless I've missed something; the instructions don't mention these functions). There is only one button - click once to start/stop, twice to skip forward, three times to skip back.

There isn't a separate/recessed button, the whole end of the remote clicks to perform the functions. This means it's very easy to press when shoving into a pocket or bag, then you find at the end of the day your battery has run out. Also note that the remote is very high up, only about 6" down from the right earphone, so it dangles somewhere around your chin. However it's very small so doesn't bother me too much.

The sound quality is OK; sounds all right for my commute but a bit dull compared to my (admittedly more expensive) Sennheiser 300's.

Keyboard Stand With Sheet Music Holder
Keyboard Stand With Sheet Music Holder

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but flimsy, 6 April 2010
This looks like great value, but you get what you pay for I guess. The actual keyboard stand is excellent - very sturdy. However the music stand gave me problems. The bolts to mount the bar across the back just have a plastic top glued onto them. One of these was already off when I opened the box, the other came off shortly after, so now I have to have a small spanner to hand if I want to put the thing up or dismantle it. The second time I put it up, the plastic clamp that holds the music stand up split completely in two, so the music stand just slides down all the time. I'm not heavy handed, it needs to be fairly tight to hold the thing up. I currently fix it with a bulldog clip but it's far from ideal. The seller promised (in February) to send me some replacement hardware but despite a reminder email I've heard nothing further. They did offer a complete replacement at first, to be fair to them. I can't really recommend this product, especially if you anticipate setting up/dismantling often.

Goodmans GCR1875IP Portable Stereo ( MP3 Playback,Apple Docking )
Goodmans GCR1875IP Portable Stereo ( MP3 Playback,Apple Docking )

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good!, 4 Feb 2010
I normally steer well clear of the cheap end of the electronics market, but this was so cheap I thought I'd take a punt. To cut to the chase, it's a marvellous little unit. It's quite compact (the power supply is an external wall-wart, which keeps the size down) and looks rather smart. I was surprised to find it comes with a complete set of black iPod dock adaptors, my new 160GB classic fits just fine. The iPod dock slides out from the front with a gentle push.

This unit not only charges the iPod, but has buttons on the front to select tracks and select shuffle/repeat options. The display is large and clear, and also shows the radio frequency - quite a surprise, as the tuning is on an old-style thumbwheel so there are no presets.

Sound quality is surprisingly good. I played a range of music from the iPod and there was a good response from the small built-in stereo speakers, with plenty of volume. It's not going to replace your hi-fi of course, but bearing in mind this is a clock radio it sounds good. Recommended!

GadMei External DVB-T Digital Freeview LCD CRT TV Tuner Box TV6818E for PS2, PS3, WII, DVD player etc (input up to 1080i,support HD wide-screen LCD monitor up to 1920 X 1200)

4.0 out of 5 stars Games console or composite video on your monitor? This is it, 26 Aug 2008
A simple enough request you'd think - I want to run my Playstation 2 in the spare room on my PC LCD monitor. After months of searching for converter boxes, cables and TV cards I had got nowhere. They were either very expensive or had terrible reviews because of the ropey picture quality.

So for 25 quid I thought this worth a punt, especially as the reviews were good. And what do you know, it works perfectly. Image is good - not as good as my big CRT TV but very good. It even has a little speaker built-in.

The sellers sent the item quickly and it arrived by registered post.

I haven't tried the TV tuner but if you want to run composite video on your PC monitor, this is the best result you'll get at even several times the asking price.

Creative Prodikeys PCMIDI Multifunction Keyboard
Creative Prodikeys PCMIDI Multifunction Keyboard

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, could be better, 16 April 2008
For me, this is a great gadget because it saves space and I can try out musical ideas without having to set up my big keyboard, which I have to stow away due to space restrictions.

However, please note there ARE NOT and WILL NOT BE any Vista drivers for this unit - I've had this from Creative themselves, as far as they're concerned this is no longer a current product. On the web forums I have read that some people have got it working on Vista using XP drivers; I've had no luck with this so far. Under XP though it's fine:

Good points: Nice looking unit, works well, works as a MIDI keyboard in 'pro' music applications (Cubase etc.), velocity sensitive keys, octave shift buttons.

Bad points: PC keyboard has short-travel keys rather like a laptop but they are well spaced and you get used to them quickly. The music keys are awful - very spongy and like a toy keyboard. It works well enough for trying stuff out but you won't be playing any Bach on it. The software is basic but works OK.

Sadly it seems that Creative have dropped this product; perhaps it didn't sell very well. Let's hope they reconsider and keep developing the idea - and its drivers.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2008 2:18 PM BST

Money 2002 Standard
Money 2002 Standard

4.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable, if you can maintain the records!, 17 May 2002
This review is from: Money 2002 Standard (CD-ROM)
This package has transformed my finances - I can now track every penny and I'm better off as a result. The software is simplicity itself to set up, as wizards guide you through the whole process. Regular bills are even entered automatically for you! Most banks allow you to download your statement directly into Money, and automatically compare the bank's records with your own. The only problem I've had is that it takes a bit of willpower to enter every transaction you make, but it's worthwhile. Some of the extra planners, wizards and charts seem excessive, but for the price, who cares?

Page: 1 | 2