Profile for B. Kam > Reviews

Content by B. Kam

B. Kam (London)

Page: 1 | 2
Anker PowerLine+ Micro USB (3ft) The Premium, Fastest, Most Durable Cable [Kevlar Fiber & Double Braided Nylon] for Samsung, Nexus, LG, Motorola, Android Smartphones and More

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cable, 4 April 2016
Full disclosure, Anker sent me this cable as a sample. That said, it's a high-quality cable. I tested it to charge an Anker PowerCore 15600 (USB charger) which tends to have the highest draw. I plugged it into the wall charger for a Samsung SM-T700, and measured it with a USB Tester. It delivered up to around 2.3 amps which is as high as I've seen any cable deliver.

Compared to other quality cables, in particular the ones that come with OnePlus phones, the connectors on this Anker cable are much less likely to actively slip out, which is especially important when using a portable charger in a bag. May not be easy to get excited about a USB cable but this one is great.

Anker SlimShell (LIFETIME WARRANTY) Ultra-Slim & Light Protective Case Compatible with iPhone 6 / iPhone 6s (Black)
Offered by AnkerDirect

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice case but may get in the way if you use a music dock, 2 Nov. 2015
Full disclosure, Anker sent me this as a review model and a friend has used it with an iPhone 6, *not* 6s.

Overall, it's a well-constructed case, which achieves its primary function of protecting the iPhone, and also importantly, making it less slippery as the sheer back meant that it would often slide off surfaces before. The primary downside is one that would affect probably every case, which is that it prevents it from being put into a music dock without removing the case. Also, it makes the volume/sleep buttons slightly less responsive, but this may be because of the marginally different sizes of the iPhone 6 vs 6s.

Anker PowerLine Lightning Premium Cable (3ft) Apple MFi Certified - The World's Fastest, Most Durable Lightning Cable [Kevlar Fiber] Perfect for the new iPhone 6s / Plus, iPad Pro / mini 4 / Air, iPod touch (Space Gray)

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable cable, 18 Sept. 2015
Full disclosure, Anker sent me this as a review sample, and I gave it to my girlfriend to review as I don't have a device that uses Lightning.

First, it works well and charges at a good speed. It feels ergonomic somehow. The USB end plugs in stably, and it feels thicker and more solid than the Apple OEM version, both in the USB connection and in the durability of the cable itself. The longer USB end makes it easier to plug in. It seemingly can't be tangled which is a big advantage. I have the dark gray version, which won't show dirt like the Apple version (though of course there's also a white version of this cable). The only suggestion would be that it might be useful to have an attached strap to keep it coiled. It does come with a velcro strap but this is easy to lose.

[Fastest Portable Charger] Anker PowerCore 15600 - Super High Capacity Battery Pack 15600mAh Power Bank with Most Powerful 4.8A Output, PowerIQ Technology for iPhone, iPad and Samsung Galaxy and More Apple and non-Apple Devices (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great portable charger, 10 Sept. 2015
Full disclosure, Anker sent me a PowerCore 16000 as a test review unit. That said, it's a great bit of kit. Before this, I was using an Aukey 20000mAh charger, which was very handy as a backup. The Anker 16000 is slimmer and better looking. It does not have an LED torch, but I rarely used this feature on the Aukey device and also my phone's flash works as a backup.

I took measurements of the maximum charging speeds, using an Android application called Ampere on my OnePlus One:
- Anker PowerPort 5 40W (wall charger): 1740 mA
- Aukey 20000: 950 mA
- Anker 16000: 1650 mA

So, as you can see, the portable charger charges nearly as quickly as the wall charger. It's not so important since it's portable, and I can tell that I get about one fewer charge on the Anker than the Aukey (which makes sense based on their capacity). But the Anker is smaller, faster, and better looking, so it will be my everyday carry.

[New Release] Anker PowerPort 5 (40W 5-Port USB Charging Hub) Multi-Port USB Charger for iPhone 6 / 6 Plus, iPad Air 2 / mini 3, Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge and More

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, fast, convenient, 26 July 2015
Full disclosure, I was sent this as a review unit to test from Anker. That said, love it. It replaced a Portapow 4-port charger whose only advantage was that it's more compact (single unit) which might be useful for travelling. Since I used it next to my bed, however, it's a faff to have to plug the cables in at the socket. This Anker unit has a figure of 8 lead which makes it easy to use anywhere in the world, and it also means that you can have it on the side of the bed/table/whatever for easier access.

I measured the Anker charger with an Android App called "Ampere" with my OnePlus One and it seems to get up to 1810 mA out, which is very fast charging. My old charger maxed out at 1110 or so. A charger is hard to get too excited about, but this one looks the part, feels solid, and charges really quickly, so I'm quite pleased to have it.

Anker Aluminum Multi-Angle Universal Phone and Tablet Stand for iPhone, iPad, Samsung Galaxy, HTC, Nexus and More (Silver)

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality stand, 7 May 2015
Full disclosure, I was sent this unit as a review sample. However I'm reviewing it objectively.

To be honest, I had never considered buying a stand before. I have a folio case for my Samsung Galaxy Tab S which folds up to serve as a stand, and never thought of putting my OnePlus One phone on a stand. However there are several things I like about this stand, and I think I will end up using it. First, it is adjustable with several possible angles which makes it much more useful for different positions than the fixed stand on my tablet case (the fixed position of the case is not perfect for planes). Second, it feels very sturdy and well-designed. Third, it is quite light and folds fairly flat -- not perfectly flat, but flat enough that I can chuck it in my bag for when I need it.

There's a few things I'm a little unclear about. The first is why the rubber insert is removable. It allows for thicker objects to be held, but I can't imagine having a tablet thicker than 0.4 inches. I probably wouldn't want the tablet resting directly against the metal, and I'm slightly concerned about losing the rubber insert. Second, the manual shows that it can be inverted, using the stand to support the device with the backing plate flat. This is not really a downside, I just can't see an advantage to this configuration over the one pictured on Amazon.

Overall, it's a great stand, and I expect to use it on planes for watching films with my tablet in landscape, and I've already used it for reading articles with my tablet in portrait. I think it would be less useful for a phone, but I suppose if your phone is big enough then it might be worth it.

Anker 6ft / 1.8m Nylon Braided Tangle-Free Micro USB Cable with Gold-Plated Connectors for Android, Samsung, HTC, Nokia, Sony and More

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid cable, 5 April 2015
This is a sturdy, solid cable. It's very long, which is convenient if you want to use a device while it's charging, but since it's also fairly thick for a USB cable it also means that it's not quite as portable as a standard USB cable. I mainly use it to charge my OnePlus One and the Samsung Galaxy Tab S, and it works very well for that. With a charger for the Tab S, I measured 1750 milliamps charging which is the fastest I've ever gotten from those chargers. I have not yet had a chance to transfer data with it but I can only assume this will work perfectly as well. As some other reviewers have mentioned, the retaining pins do tend to go flat after a while, however this does not seem to make the cable loose at all so it doesn't bother me.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Good qi charger, 9 Feb. 2015
I was supplied a sample for test and evaluation, and I promised that my review is fair and honest.

This is a great little charger. It's quite thin and looks good. The indicator light is solid green when plugged in, and flashes between green and blue when it's charging. At least with Android Lollipop (Nexus 4) you also get a notification sound from the OS when it makes contact so that you know you've placed the device correctly. Depending on the size of the device, the nature of Qi charging is that you have to sort of know where the contact is, otherwise you risk not making contact. However the light combined with the OS indication makes it easy to tell if it's working.

I timed it and it charged about 15% in 20 minutes, which is pretty much the same as I get from plugging the phone directly in. It does seem to heat up the device more than wired charging, but I think that's just an effect of any Qi charging. If you have a Qi device, this one is much better than cheaper ones that I've bought in the past in speed.

Anker USB 3.0 4-Port Compact Hub with a Built-in 0.7ft USB 3.0 Cable
Anker USB 3.0 4-Port Compact Hub with a Built-in 0.7ft USB 3.0 Cable

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, solid USB 3 hub., 10 Nov. 2014
Full disclosure, Anker sent me this as a review unit for test and evaluation.

In terms of construction, it's solid but still light and compact. The cord is quite short which is actually handy for a laptop, but might be an issue if you want to use it connected to a desktop. Having had it less than a week I can't comment on its durability but I can't see this being an issue. In terms of looks, it's modern and fine -- I would have preferred a black version but this white/black one looks fine.

To be honest I'm probably not (yet) the target user for this device, as I do not have many USB 3.0 devices, although I do have a USB 3.0 port on my laptop. To test it out, I connected various USB 2.0 drives to it. (Mice and keyboards work fine with it and are not limited by USB 2.0.) I then tested the speed that I got through the USB 3.0 port and got identical speed as when I connected it directly to the laptop. I tested the speed simultaneously for multiple 2.0 devices and also got the same speed.

This would probably be best for someone with multiple USB 3.0 devices, but it could also allow faster transfer for multiple USB 2.0 devices. I'm sort of tempted to create a RAID array with it but wouldn't want to have to keep it connected to my laptop all the time.

Overall it's a solid device and I will use it whenever I need extra USB ports. Once I get a desktop with USB 3.0 then it will probably be even more useful.

HipStreet Handheld Document and Image Scanner Li-ion rechargeable battery
HipStreet Handheld Document and Image Scanner Li-ion rechargeable battery

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, not quite perfect, 10 May 2014
I bought this because I tend to lose important letters, or not have them to hand when I need to check something. I thought I would be able to quickly scan documents and store them somewhere online for retrieval anywhere. On the plus side, it's extremely compact compared to any other scanner, and it is quite cool that you can transfer files using iether USB or bluetooth.

The issue with it is that you do need a very steady hand and a flat surface to get a perfect scan. This sounds obvious and easily overcome but in practice it's a bit of a hassle since you can't actually see whether the scan has come out until you've transferred the file off. The bluetooth helps with this since you can view it on a phone or tablet, but it's still disappointing when it misses a bit of the page because your motion wasn't smooth enough. I realise there's not much the scanner can do if you screw up while you're moving it, but since it's just that tiny bit unreliable I end up not using it as much as I thought I would.

Page: 1 | 2