Profile for J. J. Greenhorn > Reviews

Content by J. J. Greenhorn

J. J. Greenhorn "captainrock" (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
The End Of Mr. Y
The End Of Mr. Y
by Scarlett Thomas
Price: 6.29

2.0 out of 5 stars Well that was a bloody struggle, 2 Mar 2009
This review is from: The End Of Mr. Y (Paperback)
I thought this book started really well, it reminded me of the Spanish book "Shadow of the Wind", the story was engrossing and I was really interested in the main character "Ariel Manto". Then without too much of a warning it all when totally self indulgent and stopped making any sense. A giant talking mouse appeared in another secret world, quantum physics was the main talking point and the story started to remind me of the Back to the Future trilogy!!!!!
I was lent the book by a friend and by this point I wanted to bounce the book off his forehead. The end was also really disappointing but totally scripted. I'll give it 2 stars for the great start but to be honest you would be better renting out Marty McFly and The Doc, a lot more enjoyable and not up its own backside.

A Northern Soul
A Northern Soul
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense and Spiritual, 4 Feb 2009
This review is from: A Northern Soul (Audio CD)
How often do bands make their greatest album when they are still hungry for it? Oasis spring to mind with their raw and angry first album Definitely Maybe. Few would disagree that although they have had a few golden moments since, it's still there best album. Also look at The Stone Roses, they could never repeat their debut album after its massive success and there legal disputes they just never returned to their former glories.

The Verve are maybe slightly different to the two above bands that for me it wasn't there debut album that was there greatest (although Storm in Heaven is a spiritual debut) but there 2nd album A Northern Soul. Maybe because the first album wasn't that successful there hunger was still well and truly there. There were all still on the dole and no money man was waving pictures of the Queen in front of them yet.

It's going to sound corny but the one tune that changed my life was the opening track to the album, A New Decade. I remember putting the album on and trying to adjust the volume as I thought there was problem as it has such a quiet and slow build up. Then after 40 seconds a scream and a guitar come in and my musical life has never been the same, it blew me away, still does.

Ashcroft's song writing is a about a man on the edge, someone who has to skip train fares as he has no money, someone whose girlfriend has just walked out on him because he has nothing to offer, someone who is sleeping on friends floors as he has no permanent address, someone who is living in a cold town that has nothing to offer him. All these things brought together bring in something we can all relate "I Stand Accused Just Like You For Being Born Without A Silver Spoon" he screams in the opening lines to This Is Music, the common man all know exactly what he means.

I just realised that Drive You Home is the most played track off the album on my iTunes nowadays. It's probably the least accessible song on the album but the most rewarding. I guess that's the way most great albums are. It takes several even hundreds of listens before you fully understand it.

I'm not going mention every single track individually because I'll be here all day explaining what they mean to me. I'll just conclude that A Northern Soul is the most Intense, Spiritual, Mind-Blowing, and Heartbreaking album I've ever heard.

Laid
Laid
Offered by reflexcd2 SHIPPING FROM THE UK
Price: 7.91

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Chill Out Album Ever, 4 Jan 2009
This review is from: Laid (Audio CD)
This for me is James at their peak, its an almost perfect album (they should have left Low,Low,Low off not the best tune and doesnt sit right with the other songs)
The production by Eno is sparse but at the same time so ambient and uplifting.
I just realised the other day that Five-O is the most played song on my Itunes, the lyrics are beautiful and the overall sound is so atmospheric, its amazing.
Dream Thrum, One of the Three and P.S are also outstanding.
Its well up there in my top albums of all time.

Paul Weller - The Changing Man
Paul Weller - The Changing Man
by Paolo Hewitt
Price: 7.41

2.0 out of 5 stars Anyone else left asking why....., 23 Dec 2008
Hewitt doesnt reveal why the hell him an Weller don't talk anymore???

Basically, according to Hewitt, Most of Wellers tunes are rip offs and he doesnt like Weller when he's drunk.
The End

Poor book, no depth at all.

No Come Down (B Sides & Outtakes)
No Come Down (B Sides & Outtakes)

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind Blowing, Intense, 19 April 2002
No Come Down, is a great album of odds and ends from Verve. Blue (USA Mix) is great for his voice is louder in the mix from the version on Storm In Heaven. The acoustic Make it til Monday is also breath-taking.
But the reason why I write this review is for Gravity Grave, its probably the finest live moment ive ever heard caught on tape. Recorded at Glastonbury 93 its over 9mins long and is so intense, that i cant sit still everytime I hear it, Ashcroft screams at the beginning "lets get into a bit of a groove here" and what a groove it is, The climax is when Ashcroft is told he has one minute left,(by the roadie) and he starts screaming "One minute to go" I can't tell you in words how mind blowing this is, buy it. Its Verve, its the greatest band ever!!!!!!

Page: 1 | 2