Profile for J. J. Greenhorn > Reviews

Content by J. J. Greenhorn

J. J. Greenhorn "captainrock" (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
Eurosonic Plug in Cordless Door Chime (Pack of 2)
Eurosonic Plug in Cordless Door Chime (Pack of 2)
Offered by Invero

2.0 out of 5 stars Bell Push is Rubbish, 28 Oct. 2010
As said before the rubber button on the bell push has a short lifespan. Mine ended up dirty and then eventually disintegrated. Shame as the chime system worked really well. I got about 10 months out of the bell push all in.

Days of Glory [DVD] (2006)
Days of Glory [DVD] (2006)
Dvd ~ Jamel Debbouze
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Hang Your Head France!!, 25 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Days of Glory [DVD] (2006) (DVD)
Interesting film from the point of view of the North African French colonies who signed up to fight for the French in the 2nd World War. A bit like the British colonies these boys weren't looked after as well as their fatherland should have. I thought it was an emotional film and left you feeling that you had seen a well filmed and thought out war movie. There was also some great acting from the unknown (to me) French-speaking actors. If you like War movies and you don't mind subtitles, you'll love this.

The Miracle Of Castel Di Sangro
The Miracle Of Castel Di Sangro
by Joe McGinniss

5.0 out of 5 stars Who says the Italian league is boring!!!!, 9 Oct. 2009
I need to admit I was sceptical when my girlfriend bought me The Miracle of Castel di Sangro for my Christmas but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The Italian league is not my favourite league by any means but the book is so well written by the US author that you are immediately drawn in. Once you get the past the fact that he tries to explain the rules of football to you the book really gets going. The ups and downs of the small team make a great story. I finished it within a week which is extremely quick for me. Even non football fans will enjoy this read. Superb.

Runaway American Dream: Listening to Bruce Springsteen
Runaway American Dream: Listening to Bruce Springsteen
by Jimmy Guterman

4.0 out of 5 stars Jimmy Gets It Just About Right., 5 Sept. 2009
Although quite short in length I thoroughly enjoyed Jimmy Guterman's Runway American Dream. I found myself agreeing with about 95% of his opinions on Springsteen's songs.
There could have been a wee bit more said on the likes of "Backstreets" "Jungleland" and "Racing in the Street" but that's only because they are my personal favourites.
Its not one for the casual fans as he does cover every album up until Devils and Dust.
Overall a good read for a rainy day but at the same time not revolutionary.

Heavy Soul
Heavy Soul
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars Patchy!, 1 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Heavy Soul (Audio CD)
Heavy Soul was recorded almost entirely live and it has some superb songs on it, most notably "Heavy Soul" "Peacock Suit" and "Friday Street"
I find it quite a harsh album to listen to though, it seems to lack sentiment and conviction at times. "Driving Nowhere" isnt even a B-Side and "Golden Sands" is pretty pathetic.
For a studio album it really feels unfinished, with a bit more spit and polish it could have been a right good one, but were left with an average album from an exceptional songwriter.

Born To Run
Born To Run

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe The Greatest American Album Ever, 1 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Born To Run (Audio CD)
There's been so much said of Born to Run over the years that its difficult to add anything new to the comments.
I guess I feel sorry for the people that haven't heard this album, from start to finish its an absolute masterpiece.
The time and care that's been taken over the lyrics, the music and the recording process is so rewarding for the listener, what an experience and joy listening to this album is.
Obviously "Born To Run" is one of the finest rock n roll songs ever but "Jungleand" for me is the best song on the album, it might even be the greatest song I've ever heard
Go check it out, It'll change your life

People Move on
People Move on
Offered by Rikdev Media

5.0 out of 5 stars All I Need In My Hands Is That Electric Guitar!!!!!, 1 Jun. 2009
This review is from: People Move on (Audio CD)
You know how you have those albums that you keep going back to in your own time but nobody else really shares your passion for?
Well Bernie Butler's People Move On falls into that category for me, I adore this album.
From the opening track "Woman I Know" its a grand affair that totally sucks you in, his guitar playing is mind blowing.
He got slagged for his weedy voice when this came out but I don't see a problem with it, I actually really like it. Compare it to John Squire's. It's in a different league.
The finest song on the album for me is "Not Alone" which is an anthemic masterpiece, it moves me in so many ways, its so uplifting.
The outstanding tracks for me are "Woman I Know" "You Just Know" "Not Alone" and "Stay"
Epic!

Shabooh Shabooh
Shabooh Shabooh
Offered by NetsavesUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe Their Best, 1 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Shabooh Shabooh (Audio CD)
For me there isn't a poor song on this album you can stick it on let it play and without ever needing the skip button.
INXS were at their peak for me between 1983-1990 and by the end of that period they were deservedly world superstars.
This album is right at the start of that era and its an amazing album.
"The One Thing" is an outstanding opening track with a great chord progression and amazing guitar sound.
Its hard not to think of the glorious warm countryside of Australia when listening to INXS during this period
Stand Out tracks "The One Thing" "To Look At You" "Jan's Song" and the superb closer "Dont Change"

King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table: "Coming of Arthur"; The "Knights of the Round Table"; The "Quest of the Holy" (Puffin Classics)
by Sir Thomas Malory

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Story Telling, 31 May 2009
This is a simple easy to read account (without making you feel like a 5 year old) of King Arthur and all his Knights, the individual stories are all outstanding and totally relevant.
Starting from Arthur's birth it tells about all his Knights individual quests to the end at the great battle. Its not made up of unreadable nonsense, its just the stories of Arthur told in a magical way.
Great stuff!!!

Wild Wood
Wild Wood
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Weller's Masterpiece, 31 May 2009
This review is from: Wild Wood (Audio CD)
The strength of the songwriting on Wild Wood is the main thing you take from it after a few listens, Weller really had his mojo back while writing and recording Wild Wood.
There's an acoustic guitar throughout and Weller sings about lost love, time passing, his return to form and even the power of god!!!
The outstanding track for me is "Shadow of the Sun" at over 7mins long its an epic tune, and maybe Weller's finest.
"Moon on your Pyjamas" (Written for his young son) for me is the only poor song on this album, maybe though the fact I don't have kids yet means I don't appreciate it.
Check out "All the Pictures on the wall" "The Weaver" and "Hung Up" all outstanding
Easily in my Top 5 albums of all time!!!

Page: 1 | 2