Profile for bitmap > Reviews

A 1950s Childhood: From Tin Baths to Bread and Dripping
A 1950s Childhood: From Tin Baths to Bread and Dripping
Price: 1.97

2.0 out of 5 stars Lacks authenticity, 5 Aug 2014
Disappointing string of generalisations like: people on the 1950's did this... or children in the 1950's liked that... It certainly contains facts but is completely lacking in authenticity or any real reflection, anecdotal or otherwise, on what life was like. It is no surprise to see that the author has also written books about childhood in other decades, presumably just as fact packed an unauthentic.

Revolution 1989: The Fall Of The Soviet Empire
Revolution 1989: The Fall Of The Soviet Empire
Price: 8.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant., 5 Aug 2014
A quite outstanding review of the end of Soviet rule in Eastern Europe. Well researched mixture of documentary evidence, and recollections from key politicians of the time and from ordinary individuals who lived through it all.

Outremer
Outremer
Price: 1.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly worth Five Stars, 16 Mar 2014
This review is from: Outremer (Kindle Edition)
I found this mostly to be a well paced, interesting read with a real air of authenticity about it as it is very well researched. It is however in this detailed research of the historical period that I found the book's only flaw. The author tends, from time to time, to go off on historical discourses, which though very probably acurate do little to advance the story. It's not that I dislike history, but if I want a history of the crusades I'll read one (preferably Runciman)

I confess I skipped almost all of Chapter 10 where two clerics debate the use of force in advancing Christian interests in the Holy Land. Yes, I'm sure not all contemporary clerics thought that armed crusades were the right way to go about things and that such debates may well have taken place, but to deal with it in such detail is something better placed in a straight history than in an historical novel. Similarly, a whole chapter devoted to the character of Henry II and his relationship with Philip of France ends up with Henry dropping dead before we can move on to Richard and get on with the Third Crusade. This is another chapter I ended up skipping through and I nearly gave up on the book at this point. However I didn't and I'm glad. I look forward to more from this author as he clearly has talent in telling a good story combined with good history. Get the balance right and keep the plot moving, and this could be another Bernard Cornwell.

Disappear
Disappear
Price: 2.00

4.0 out of 5 stars No Aliens, 11 Mar 2013
This review is from: Disappear (Kindle Edition)
Ok, so we've got this story about people disappearing and their bodies turning up 18 years later, not appearing to have aged at all. We also have a serial killer being prevented from committing his crimes by two mysterious strangers, who send the supposed victims on their way and just walk off leaving the frustrated killer standing impotently where he is. So, I'm thinking this could be a really well thought out thriller because I just couldn't work out what was going on. But then I get this terrible feeling that I've been through plots like this before and they often end up with second rate explanations like aliens from outer space or some other contrived supernatural phenomena.

I don't want to spoil what is a good story by telling you the ending, but just let me say that it isn't aliens from outer space! No, it's the other option - a really well thought out thriller with a plausible storyline. If you like that sort of thing, read it.

The ending may be a little bit too neatly tided together for some tastes, with all the baddies getting their just deserts and all the goodies getting saved/kissed. But what the hell?

Last Man Standing: The Memoirs, Letters & Photographs of a Teenage Officer
Last Man Standing: The Memoirs, Letters & Photographs of a Teenage Officer
Price: 3.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding History, 12 Jan 2013
This is one of the most profound pieces of documentary history I have ever read. Not only are the descriptions of life in the trenches incredibly real, but the book also gives a wonderful feel for the whole era. It not something that was ever meant to be written as a history, but is simply personal letters and photographs belonging to someone who was actually there. None of them were ever originally intended for publication and that is what gives them their amazing authenticity. These together with the information gathered through interviews by the book's editor, Richard Van Emden, make a complete picture of the War and the times which in quite unique in my experience. A fascinating read. If you are at all interested in the history of the period you must read it.

7" NEW Dual Core M009S 4GB Epad Apad Android 4.2 Tablet PC - WiFi - Dual Camera - HDMI

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Time, 9 April 2012
Ok, so I'm new to touchscreen tablets and and no expert, but I was expecting something better than this. For a start the screen is very difficult to see clearly. I peeled off the two layers of plastic screen protectors but the screen was still dull as if there was still a layer of plastic film over it. No, it just looks like this because it is a cheap plastic screen. Also very difficult to read with any sort of light shining on it. Even with the brightness turned up full it's still like looking at the screen through a grey film. Best used inside a dark cupboard. So, if you live inside a dark cupboard, this may be the tablet for you. I've got a six year old mobile phone with a better, clearer screen than this.

After a week of trying I have still been unable to connect to my local wifi source even although my laptop computer uses the same wifi source without problem. I was going to get a G3 dongle but I won't bother now as I don't imagine it would work, and even if by some miracle it did I probably wouldn't be able to read my emails anyway due to the terrible visibility on the screen (unless there was a dark cupboard available).

The touchscreen is often non-responsive. It just seems to give up in the middle of using an application and you have to go back to the homescreen and reopen the app to get it co-operating again.

The manual is also useless and written in pidgin English.

You can connect to a USB but only by plugging in a bulky adaptor which was a bit of a pain as I bought a USB keyboard case to go with the tablet, but when you close the keyboard case with the tablet inside it there's nowhere to put the bulky adaptor.

Save your money. Pay a bit extra and get something useable.

Sniper One: The Blistering True Story of a British Battle Group Under Siege
Sniper One: The Blistering True Story of a British Battle Group Under Siege
by Sgt. Dan Mills
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 11 Oct 2011
A fast paced page turner if ever there was, and quite incredible to think that it's a true story. Prior to reading this I had little idea about what British troops faced in Iraq. Their dedication and professionalism as detailed in the pages of Dan Mills book is awesome. An eye-opening, brilliant read.

Sell Up and Cruise the Inland Waterways: How to Get the Most Out of the Inland Cruising Lifestyle
by Bill Cooper
Price: 16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful starter, 18 Jun 2011
A useful book for anyone thinking of taking up this lifestyle. The authors have a lot direct experience and the book covers most aspects of inland cruising from boat maintenance tasks to the practicalities of shopping and cooking aboard. I would have used it as more of a reference work if it hadn't literally fallen apart after the first read. The binding is very cheaply done and half the pages just fell out making it very difficult to flick through, especially if you've put the runaway pages back in the wrong order.

The Fort
The Fort
by Bernard Cornwell
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Cornwell's Best, 18 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Fort (Paperback)
I've always been a fan of Bernard Cornwell's writing, ever since the first Sharpe novel back in the 1970's, and while the Sharpe (and Cornwell's other series novels)are fast, well paced and very good reading, I found this novel better. It's a more mature and thoughtful novel than most of the Sharpe books, where the basic formula of Sharpe being done down by some obvious villain at the start of the story but coming back to triumph in the end, is repeated over and over again. The characters in this novel are much more of a mixed bag of human traits and the outcome is never as obvious as with Sharpe where you know just who's going to win in the end. It's not a simple case of the heroic Americans against British tyranny, nor of the treacherous American rebels stabbing the mother country in the back. You see the conflict from both sides, and both sides have their heroes and villains. It's a novel that prompts you to think a bit more than the average Sharpe adventure.

The Reluctant Traveller
The Reluctant Traveller
Price: 1.53

2.0 out of 5 stars Lacks Credibility, 18 Jun 2011
I nearly gave this book three stars as it is competently written, but the fact that I gave up reading it well before the end reveals a more accurate two star assessment. Right from the start the book failed to grab me as I found the situation not very believable. The whole thing lacks sincerity. This does not come across as the journal of someone who was forced into going to Ethiopia and is just telling it like it was. Instead the author comes over as a professional journalist who has had this clever idea of writing an anti-travel book, and all the way through you are never sure if what you are reading is at least partially the truth or whether it has just been made up for effect.

Page: 1 | 2