Profile for J. Bloom > Reviews

Content by J. Bloom

J. Bloom "Writer" (Suffolk. UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Beekeeper's Daughter
The Beekeeper's Daughter
by Santa Montefiore

3.0 out of 5 stars Loved most of Santa's books, but not The Beekeeper's Daughter., 12 Feb. 2015
I have read most of Sante Monteifiore's books and I was swept away by The House By the Sea, a truly magnificent love story. The Beekeeper's Daughter, I am afraid did not do it for me. I found the story very familiar with characters that I did not find as belieavable as in her other books. The traumertized, war damaged husband, the rather insipid Grace (I thought), the wayward daughter and wanting to be a pop star, Jason, none of whom were very convincing for me. Were parents really that strict in 1973? I am afraid the book did not flow for me. It was so predictable with lots of pretty paragraphs that seemed to just pad the story out and oh so many adverbs (words ending in ly). Santa has written some beautiful books, incuding The French Gardener (excellent and tear jerking) and Meet me Under the Ombu Tree. I have kept all Santa's books, but I will not be keeping this one, which impatient to read more of her books, I had bought in hard back.

Travels in Africa
Travels in Africa
by Ms Anne French

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating emails from Africa, 29 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Travels in Africa (Paperback)
A very entertaining read about the adventures (and there were many) of two intrepid travellers. Well worth buying just to be amazed at what happened during Anne's three months in Africa, (with Paul of course). A very interesting overview of life in Africa and the animals they encountered. Also there were some interesting emails about the very cold weather at the start of their trip.

Who Knows Tomorrow
Who Knows Tomorrow
by Lisa Lovatt-Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant, moving, 29 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Who Knows Tomorrow (Hardcover)
I bought this as a Christmas present for a family member, after reading the article in the Guardian. Part way through it gets very fashion orientated (well the author did work for Vogue), BUT then she goes out to Africa. A brilliant, moving, thought provoking and in places humorous, well written book. It will now stay with me, but I will let my daughter read it of course!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Nov. 2014
Best cocoa powder ever. The one to use when making anything chocolatey, especially chocolate cake

Profoot Gel Max Anti-Fatigue Heel Cushion Women Pr
Profoot Gel Max Anti-Fatigue Heel Cushion Women Pr

5.0 out of 5 stars Heel Spur Relief/Inflamed Achilles Tendon, 2 Jan. 2014
If you have heel pain/tender heel these gel pads are excellent. I have recommended them to other folks and they have got relief by using them. They certainly worked for me and I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Dr.Oetker Gel Food Colour Hot Pink 10g
Dr.Oetker Gel Food Colour Hot Pink 10g
Offered by Global Shopping Online UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Oetker Hot Pink Gel food colouring (Rubbish Product), 7 Nov. 2013
I purchased Hot Pink Gel food colouring today and used it, or tried to, to colour some fondant icing. It was rubbish, a complete waste money. I used the whole tube and ended up with icing the palest of a very poor pink. A complete waste of money. I gave it a star as I was instructed to rate this item. I didn't want to give it any at all. Dr.Oetker Gel Food Colour Hot Pink 10g

Meet Me Under the Ombu Tree
Meet Me Under the Ombu Tree

5.0 out of 5 stars Sante Montefiore - great author, 9 Sept. 2013
Santa writes the most terrific stories. This one is no exception. Cracking good read and as with all her books I just could not stop reading it until I got to the end. If you like to get lost in book and have your emotions tossed about and feel you really know the characters then Meet Me Under the Ombu Tree is for you. All Santa's books are being republished with a new publisher and next year she will be starting on book fifteen so I will have plenty to keep me reading.

The Affair
The Affair

5.0 out of 5 stars The Affair. A Memorable Read, 11 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Affair (Paperback)
I downloaded The Affair onto my Kindle, but have now preordered it in book form. It is due out on 14th January 2014! I love all of Santa's books and The Affair is no exception. It is a great read and I just had to keep reading it to find out what happened. The story built up pace and the twists and turns were so unpredictable which made it a thoroughly engrossing read. I love the wisdom and philosophies that Santa weaves into her stories. I disagree that she is like any other writer. I find her unique as a writer. All her previous books have been bought up by her new publisher and I am looking forward to them all being re-released. I understand that The French Gardener is out in October. Thank you Santa for great books and for The Affair.

Winter King: The Dawn of Tudor England
Winter King: The Dawn of Tudor England
by Thomas Penn

5.0 out of 5 stars The Winter King. Henry VII. A great read, 2 Aug. 2013
I have never really been interested in history until I saw and purchased this book. It is a great read which I found enthralling with all the characters and history of that time so well written about. I liked Henry VII and also it made me understand more about his son Henry VIII. It was a cruel time with lots of intrigue, but that is the way it was. I was fascinated by the amount of education the Princes received. The book gave me a real insight into that time in our history and it kept my interest right to the end.

The Secrets of the Lighthouse
The Secrets of the Lighthouse

4.0 out of 5 stars Lighthouse Secrets, 30 July 2013
I really enjoy books by Santa Montefiore and couldn't wait to read her latest book, Secrets of The Lighthouse which is why I bought the hard back. It is a good yarn and because of the story line in her previous books it as in places, predictable. I had enjoyed House by the Sea/Mermaid Garden so much that I think maybe that is why I was a tad disappointed in Secrets of the Lighthouse. It is however a page turner and as with Santa's previous books, I was moved to tears with the ending. I think she is a great and gifted story teller who enjoys her craft and I would recommend this book. I would however like to have given it three and a half stars.

My personal comments about the book on a negative side was that there were far to many adverbs (words ending in ly) which are often meaningless. I also got irritated by Peg constantly calling Ellen, 'pet'. I was not too convinced by the depth of some of the characters, Madeline in particular and then there was the menagerie.

To begin with I wasn't sure about the ethereal side of the book, but then it grew on me and I loved the way the Santa's wonderful philosophies came over in this book as it they did in her previous ones. Food for thought indeed.

Santa's books, to me are very uplifting reads. She is a writer who enjoys writing and I congratulate her, so folks, buy it and enjoy.

Page: 1 | 2