ARRAY(0xad0468dc)

Profile for Mr. P. Harvey > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. Harvey
Top Reviewer Ranking: 738

Mr. P. Harvey "Phil" (Cornwall, UNITED KINGDOM)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Andrew James Set Of Two Premium Quality Long Handled Stainless Steel Spoons - Ideal For Lattes and Ice Cream Sundaes
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD
Price: 7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Andrew James Set Of Two Premium Quality Long Handled Stainless Steel, 27 Jun 2013
I am not a fan of ice cream products because I am lactose intolerant. Dairy products (milk, cream, cheese) can cause food poisoning unless I consume lactase enzyme pills beforehand. However, I am partial to Vegan custard products which I prepare like a sundae in a long glass. The depth and narrowness of the receptacle demands a special long-handled spoon and I chanced upon this offering from Amazon. They were keenly priced too.

These spoons are highly polished and thankfully contain no rough edges which would certainly have put me off their purchase. I took a gamble and it paid off. Now all I need to do is make a custard sundae to try them out. Recommended.

Otterbox Universal Drybox 3500 - Yellow
Otterbox Universal Drybox 3500 - Yellow

5.0 out of 5 stars Otterbox Universal Drybox 3500 - Yellow, 27 Jun 2013
I purchased the Otterbox not for its waterproof capabilities but for its strength and size into which I could place certain valuables such as pens & pencils, mobile phone, money clip, spare pair of spectacles, etc. In effect, the Otterbox is being used as an 'organiser' which I can transfer from place to place knowing that its contents is secure. I chose Yellow because it is a bright colour and easy to describe and locate should it be misplaced. I can even stand on the Otterbox which proves just how tough it really is.

I have a nervous moment when I dropped the Otterbox onto a carpeted surface and one of its latches flew off. I though i had broken it which would have been a great shame for a box whose primary feature is its strength. Upon closer examination I discovered the latch was designed to be detachable but for what reason I am uncertain. However, it was easy to slide the latch back onto the box and all was well again.

If I had one criticism it is that the two latches are difficult to engage and even more difficult to release. I can envisage them breaking finger nails. However, when one thinks about it, would a virtually unbreakable 'waterproof' box have weak latches? I suspect that if they were easy to operate, the waterproofness of the box would be brought into question.

The huge discount on its usual RRP was a bonus. Recommended.

Mastech 5-in-1 Auto-Range Multi-functional Digital Multimeter, MS8229
Mastech 5-in-1 Auto-Range Multi-functional Digital Multimeter, MS8229
Offered by KingMansion
Price: 40.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Mastech 5-in-1 Auto-Range Multi-functional Digital Multimeter, MS8229, 27 Jun 2013
I own several multimeters and have used them professionally throughout my career. Without exception they have all been capable of measuring certain basic electrical parameters: current (alternating/AC & direct/DC), voltage (alternating/AC & direct/DC), resistance, continuity, transistor/diode checking and optionally capacitance and temperature using an external probe.

The MS8229 has a feature range that includes all the above features - AS STANDARD - plus relative humidity, frequency, duty cycle, sound level and luminance. And what is more, the accuracy and resolution across all the parameter ranges is highly impressive for a multimeter which cost less than GBP40.00 from Amazon. A few years ago an instrument of this quality would have cost hundreds of Pounds and it would not have included all these features.

A unique feature, at least I have never encountered it before, is the presence of LEDs associated with each of the 4 sockets into which the multimeter probes are inserted. After selecting the parameter using the large knob, the sockets will light up indicating which pair of sockets to use to make the measurement. Furthermore, if a probe is accidentally disconnected during a measurement and audible alarm sounds. No doubt a failsafe feature. As an experienced technician I have no real need for these 'frills' but they are a wonderful aid for the beginner who has never used a multimeter before. It is quoted as being useable with one hand, leaving the other hand free. I believe it.

The MS8229 is large and quite heavy and has a large LCD (with backlighting). It has a chunky feel which suggests it is both strong and durable and made from quality materials.

It is supplied with a couple of probe leads for electrical measurements and a K-type thermocouple for temperature measurement.

I believe it is not a new design and it may have been available since 2009. However, what I find remarkable is that an instrument of this feature-rich design, quality and low cost has not attracted the notice of technicians (amateurs & professionals) long before now. Highly recommended.

500 of the Most Important Health Tips You'll Ever Need
500 of the Most Important Health Tips You'll Ever Need
by Hazel Courteney
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars 500 of the Most Important Health Tips You'll Ever Need [Paperback], 19 Jun 2013
I first noticed this book in a charity shop window and I was sufficiently intrigued by its title to take a look inside. I was particularly interested in the section concerning the health giving properties of fruit juices. One of my favourites is pomegranate juice which figures on the cover of the book. I promised myself that the next time I passed the shop I would buy the book and thereby contribute to the charity. Regrettably the book had been sold the next time I visited the shop but I found it on Amazon for a discounted price, so I purchased it.

My reading of the section on fruit juices had an unexpected benefit. Just over 2 years ago I was involved in a car shunt accident which left me with an injury to my right leg+hip. I was seldom without pain in those 2 years and the book implied I might benefit from kiwi fruit (Chinese Gooseberries) which in Chinese folk law is a remedy for certain types of muscle injury. With nothing to lose I purchase 2 baskets of kiwi fruit (12 fruits) and ate them over 3 - 4 days. Within a fortnight my leg+hip injury made a startling recovery and continues to heal. I no longer experience the pain. Until eating the kiwi fruit I would swallow a cocktail of vitamins each day in the hope that they would be effective, but they were not.

This book was therefore indirectly responsible for healing an old injury that defied a cure by conventional methods. I have a lot o be thankful for.

The advice contained within this book goes further than just recommending dietary tips and it helped me to discover the secret healing properties of plants. I am currently experimenting with Papaya juice which has an entirely different benefit. I purchased my Papaya juice from Amazon because it is not available from most retail outlets.

I have no hesitation in recommending this book.

chinkyboo 3 Stainless Steel Nail Cuticle Spoon Pusher Remover Cutter Nipper Clipper
Offered by chinkyboo-CALTRAD
Price: 3.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Caltrad 3 Stainless Steel Nail Cuticle Spoon Pusher Remover Cutter Nipper Clipper, 19 Jun 2013
Value for money best describes this 3-piece kit, particularly the cuticle cutter/nipper, which is very small and very sharp and looks as though it will retain its sharp edges for years to come. Recommended for 5-stars for value.

180 Caplets Fast Acting Lactase - Lactase Enzyme - Compare to the Active Ingr
180 Caplets Fast Acting Lactase - Lactase Enzyme - Compare to the Active Ingr
Offered by RedTag Event
Price: 17.00

5.0 out of 5 stars 180 Caplets Fast Acting Lactase - Lactase Enzyme - Compare to the Active Ingrients, 19 Jun 2013
I rarely review items such as this in terms of efficacy because it is seldom possible to highlight a particular improvement due solely to taking this product. I chose this product because it seemed like good value for money and cheaper than equivalent products in high street stores.

I discovered in my 40s that I was Lactose Intolerant (LI) and I have been taking Lactase Enzyme pills ever since but only when I suspected my intended meal contained dairy products (cow's milk, cream, cheese). Eggs are OK! But over the last 2 - 3 years there has been a considerable increase in the high street price of this type of product and I am constantly seeking cheaper alternatives. Then I discovered this particular product which gives the best value for money to date. It is impossible to tell the difference in performance between this product and the more expensive H&B pills I was taking previously. For now, I love them, until a cheaper product is found.

High Strength Omega 3 Fish Oil 1000mg (360 Capsules)
High Strength Omega 3 Fish Oil 1000mg (360 Capsules)
Offered by Transforme
Price: 11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars High Strength Omega 3 Fish Oil 1000mg | Natural Source of Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acids (EPA 180mg and DHA 120mg) | (360 Capsule, 19 Jun 2013

Joint Care Glucosamine Sulphate 2KCL 1000mg (360 tablets)
Joint Care Glucosamine Sulphate 2KCL 1000mg (360 tablets)
Offered by Transforme
Price: 11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Joint Care Glucosamine Sulphate 2KCL 1000mg (360 tablets), 19 Jun 2013

Ansmann Energy Check LCD
Ansmann Energy Check LCD
Price: 34.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Ansmann Energy Check LCD, 19 Jun 2013
Quite simply, I do not know of a better battery performance measuring meter. I have 2 of these Ansmann Energy Checkers, the first one was purchased 2 or 3 decades ago. They have not changed in appearance in all that time which proves it has a classically good design.

The meter is self calibrating and therefore easy to use. It is also economical to run because I have yet to replace the operating battery in my first Ansmann Energy Checker. I have found it to be a reliable instrument and it is built to withstand rough treatment. I have 2 of these meters because the original is continually being borrowed by my brother and by friends. I now have my own checker exclusively for my own use.

by David Busch
Price: 13.39

5.0 out of 5 stars David Busch's Canon Powershot G1 X Guide to Digital Photography (David Busch's Digital Photography Guides) [Paperback], 19 Jun 2013
I only know of 2 books concerning this particular Canon camera apart from the substantial user guide supplied with the camera itself. I have both books and this is one of them and probably the best. Of the 2 books I prefer this one because it provides examples of where and under what circumstances to use most of this camera's huge set of features. A user guide describes what to do to use a particular feature but it stops there.

This book, despite being described as a 'paperback' is, in reality, a substantial book and not the sort of publication that can be slipped into the average coat pocket, unless it is fitted with a large 'poachers pocket'.

I would summarise this book as a user guide, with examples, which would be of considerable use to a photographic amateur or expert alike. I possess a collection of Canon film and digital cameras (compacts & SLRs) but with each new generation they become increasingly complex. The Canon Powershot G1X is now comfortably the most sophisticated camera in my collection and I carry its user guide mainly as a memory jogger to its controls and features. However, despite many decades of using cameras, some of the newer photographic features need explaining when memory jogging fails. This is why I purchased this book, which I choose not carry for obvious reasons. It is an excellent reference and a bargain if purchased with a discount.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20