Profile for Mr. P. Harvey > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. Harvey
Top Reviewer Ranking: 707

Mr. P. Harvey "Phil" (Cornwall, UNITED KINGDOM)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Maxsimafoto - compatible 270EX MK II White Flash Diffuser for Canon Speedlite.
Maxsimafoto - compatible 270EX MK II White Flash Diffuser for Canon Speedlite.
Offered by Cameramarket UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Maxsimafoto - compatible 270EX MK II White Flash Diffuser for Canon, 3 July 2014
This is the 5th flash diffuser I have purchased from Maxsimafoto. It is considerably lower cost than the genuine Canon equivalent product and as far as I have been able to ascertain, without direct comparison, is every bit as effective. Recommended.

Debra Lynn Professional Plastic Cuticle Trimmer & Pusher
Debra Lynn Professional Plastic Cuticle Trimmer & Pusher
Offered by Cosmetic Solutions Inc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Debra Lynn Professional Plastic Cuticle Trimmer & Pusher, 3 July 2014
I purchased 3 of them. I prefer the non-cylindrical stems which make these cuticle trimmers easier to hold. Apart from the 'chunky' design they work as well as any other cuticle trimmer I have owned.

The Healthy Mac: Preventive Care, Practical Diagnostics, and Proven Remedies
The Healthy Mac: Preventive Care, Practical Diagnostics, and Proven Remedies
by Heather Morris

4.0 out of 5 stars Book - The Healthy Mac, 3 July 2014
When I purchased this book I thought it might extend my knowledge of the Macintosh series of computers. Whilst I did learn a few new things from it, I found the information it contained rather 'basic' and perhaps better suitable to a beginner of Apple computers. Still, it was well written and clearly illustrated and that counts for a lot in technical documents.

Canon Remote Switch RS-60 E3
Canon Remote Switch RS-60 E3

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon Remote Switch RS-60 E3, 3 July 2014
The design of this Canon remote switch is now about 12 years old, at the time of this review, and I doubt it has changed little, if any, in all that time. It is a tried and tested design and an essential piece of kit if you want to take the sharpest pictures possible. Even the lightest finger pressure directly onto a camera shutter button can transfer vibrations from the hand onto the camera even if mounted on a study tripod. The remote camera shutter button ensures no vibrations are transmitted that could shake the camera and blur the photo. An extension cable can be purchased to increase the camera to remote switch distance. Recommended.

Condenser MERCEDES-BENZ C-CLASS W202 C34 AMG, C36 AMG, C180, C200, C220, C230 KOMPRESSOR, C240, C250, C280 BJ 93-00 + ESTATE S202 C 43 AMG, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C250 T Turbo-D, C280 1996-01; CLK C208 55 AMG, 200 KOMPRESSOR, 230 KOMPRESSOR, 430 1997-02 + CONVERTIBLE A208 1998-02; E-CLASS W210 E200, E230 1995-00 + KOMBI S210 E200 T, E230 T, 1996-00
Offered by ATP Car Parts Germany

5.0 out of 5 stars Mercedes C-class condenser fans, 3 July 2014
It was pure luck that I stumbled upon this item advertised on Amazon and it was not something I had expected. I did not believe it at first until I researched the manufacturer and supplier, both German and suppliers to Mercedes.

Unusually both condenser fans had failed on my Mercedes C230K (2000 W) and they needed to be replaced. This item is difficult to find from Mercedes outlets because I was informed they were discontinued. I subsequently took a leap of faith and ordered one of these fans from Amazon. It arrived within 4 days from Germany. I showed it to my Mercedes specialist and he blinked in amazement and he asked me to lift the bonnet of my C230K. He compared a failed fail with the new one and declared them to be identical. He had no hesitation in requesting me to buy a second fan which also arrived within 4 working days.

My specialist fitted both fans within a couple hours and he declared them to be a perfect match, same design, same quality and presumably will give the same life. My original fans are 14 years old. However, there was one minor difference between the new fans and the old fans, the electrical cabling for each new fan was of the same length. In older Mercedes cars there are 2 fans, a left and a right fan, and they are distinguishable by their cable length. But this is not an issue if one of the cables on a new fan is coiled and secured out of the way inside the engine compartment. An easy fix: no cabling to cut/shorten. The Amazon-sourced fan has a single part number whereas Mercedes offer 2 part numbers, presumably because of different cable lengths.

It has been almost a fortnight since the fans were fitted and the air conditioning system is working perfectly. My specialist says the new fans are even quieter than the originals. Maybe their design has been improved in 14 years.

I leave the final word to my specialist who said he would never have thought of buying Mercedes parts from Amazon but it is evident they can supply a supposedly discontinued quality condenser fan at a drastically reduced price. For example, I purchased 2 fans, had them delivery and had them fitted for less cost than buying 1 fan from a Mercedes outlet, excluding the fitting. Now is that not a bargain?

I could not possibly give Amazon and its supplier less than 5-stars for exemplary service and low cost.

Geometrical and Visual Optics, Second Edition
Geometrical and Visual Optics, Second Edition
by Steven H. Schwartz

5.0 out of 5 stars Geometrical and Visual Optics, 3 July 2014
Quite simply, I know of no other book encompassing the same breadth and depth of visual optics. It stands alone. It is a technical reference book with many descriptions, illustrations and formulae relating to the geometry of optical systems, including the human eye, and I purchased it primarily because I was to undergo a cataract operation and I wanted to know how a synthetic lens would be used to correct my vision. Despite the illustration on the book cover, this book covers visual optics in a much broader context. This is a book for the technically-minded and in this I can thoroughly recommend it.

Lemix (NB10L) Travel Charger for Specific CANON Powershot Models +UK/EU/USA & Car Adaptors
Offered by 4Value

5.0 out of 5 stars Lemix camera battery travel charger, 3 July 2014
I use a Canon G1X which uses the NB10L battery. I have used the Lemix charger several times and found it to be fast (<2hr) and reliable. I had not realised when I purchased the Lemix charger that it came with several mains adapters and a 12V option which is a bonus. The adapters and the 12C option can be removed leaving the charger as a lightweight, monolithic block which can be stowed in a vacant slot in a camera gadget bag. I may well buy a second Lemix charger which represents excellent value.

NIGHT VISION DRIVING GLASSES POLARIZED NO GLARE DRIVERS UK
NIGHT VISION DRIVING GLASSES POLARIZED NO GLARE DRIVERS UK
Offered by ASVP Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars Night Vision Driving Spectacles, 2 Jun 2014
I have owned and used 'yellow-tinted' night driving spectacles before but they have usually been one of two forms: they either replace my normal prescription spectacles or they are of the clip-on variety. Yellow-tinted prescription spectacles is a third option but they are very expensive especially if one needs frequent updates to ones normal prescription spectacles. Tinting is not cheap.

I recently underwent a cataract operation and in a few months time I will undergo a second similar operation on my other eye. I anticipate needing spectacles long term for driving as well as for reading. Night vision spectacles must therefore be capable of accommodating the spectacle wearer and I chose these night vision spectacles because they can be worn with or without prescription spectacles.

I have done very little night driving since acquiring these night vision spectacles but they seem to perform well. As for the claim about reducing glare, all I will say is that I was unaffected by oncoming vehicle headlights whilst wearing them, even after my first cataract operation which made my post-op' eye very sensitive to strong light. I still wear sunglasses in daylight as a protective measure.

Because these night vision spectacles will fit over normal prescription spectacles, they are necessarily larger than the latter. They are not supplied with a protective case and finding one of suitable size is very difficult. I eventually gave up looking and resorted to using visor clips to store them in the car ready to be worn at a moments notice but out of sight of passers-by and out of direct sunlight. The only issue I have with this location is that I hit my head against them if I lean forward.

Overall I am very pleased with these nigh vision spectacles. They seem to prevent glare even for sensitive eyes and they can be worn with or without prescription spectacles. Being larger than the latter is not an issue because the arms fit around the head snugly and remind me of my sports spectacles which have a close fit and are not easily dislodged from the face. Also, these night vision spectacles are surprisingly low cost.

Apple Training Series: Mac OS X Deployment v10.6: A Guide to Deploying and Maintaining Mac OS X and Mac OS X Software
by Kevin M. White

5.0 out of 5 stars Apple Training Series: Mac OS X Deployment v10.6, 17 Feb 2014
I have a growing collection of the Apple Training Series (ATS) books, all clean, secondhand copies because their new price makes their purchase prohibitively expensive on my budget. My collection largely focusses upon OSX 10.6.x (Snow Leopard) but I intend adding more books from the later MacOS operating systems when time and budget permit.

The information they contain is usually far more detailed and relevant than magazine articles discussing the same subjects. They usually contain background information that the articles omit and I love having access to information not found elsewhere, especially since I've been an Apple Mac' fan since 1985.

I have not reviewed the content of this book which is highly specialised and would only interest an OSX technician or the technically-minded reader. There are comprehensive summaries of this and other books in the ATS elsewhere. However, a basic knowledge of operating systems is assumed and of OSX in particular.

These books are not intended for the computer novice and they benefit from being written by Apple specialists who have an in-depth knowledge of the subject.

Metal & Plastic Spudger Set Repair Opening Pry Tool for Apple iPad iPhone iPod
Metal & Plastic Spudger Set Repair Opening Pry Tool for Apple iPad iPhone iPod
Offered by BisLinks®

4.0 out of 5 stars Metal and plastic spudgers (pair), 17 Feb 2014
I actually purchased these 2 spudgers for a special project and having successfully completed it have added them to my growing collection of dental picks, precision screwdrivers, tweezers and spudgers, all essential items for the keen DIY-er.

The plastic, non-conductive, spudger was the tool I used most because I was handling delicate electronic components and the motherboard from an Acer netbook. The metal spudger could have inflicted damage. The sharp point of the plastic spudger never deformed despite considerable pressure applied by me. I did use the metal spudger to lever over the keyboard from the chassis of the netbook, my only regret being I did not have a second spudger. I did wish the metal spudger had a sharper edge to it for prizing open panels with narrow gaps between them.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20