Profile for Paulette > Reviews

Being Human - Complete Series 1-3 Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Aidan Turner

5.0 out of 5 stars Eminently Watchable, 8 Aug. 2013
I loved this!!!
Other reviews can give you a plot synopsis, but for me it was the quality of the acting and the way in which the 3 main characters interacted. I didn't bother with the further 2 series because Aiden Turner left at the end of series 3 and Russell Tovey left as the start of series 4.
I watched the whole 22 hours and then later watched it all again.

I loved the normality of the relationship between Mitchell (Aidan Turner) and George (Russell Tovey)these guys could have been two students in a flat-share. I am pleased that they didn't get too sloppy with the romantic elements, their relationship with Annie (Leonora Crichlow)was always loving but never soppy. Sometimes the plot became a bit far fetched (but hey, its about ghosts, vampires and werewolves so our starting premise is a bit off the wall). I liked the flashback sequences which showed how we got to the start of series 1- particularly how George and Mitchell met.

For me the first series was almost perfect, the second a bit harder to enjoy and the third a good recovery which ended their shared story in the only way that could have been concluded(with a death). Ultimately this is a story about love and friendship and being there for each other and doing the right thing when it matters.

2 Thing I learned about the story; George is one of those guys who would always look out for you regardless of what you had done; and Mitchell was always bad. he tried very hard not to be for his friends (and it is hard to believe that the beautiful Aidan Turner could be so) but,ultimately you can't change the essence of who you are.

Crazy, Stupid, Love [DVD] [2012]
Crazy, Stupid, Love [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Steve Carell
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars Some great moments; but........, 22 July 2013
Bought this because | am a huge fan of Ryan Gosling and actually he didn't disappoint; nor did Emma Stone. But I just don't find Steve Carell funny or believable and I didn't really care about his marriage break up or whether it came right in the end. I did think that if this had been British it would have been funnier.

If you want to see Ryan Gosling in something really great order Lars and the Real Girl; its one of the sweetest films I have ever seen full of pathos, love and care it is everything that Crazy Studid love isn't!

Lars And The Real Girl [DVD]

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavenly Scent, 12 May 2010
This is a fabulous fragrance warm and spicy but with fresh vetvier undertones. Smells much more expensive than it is,so distinctive that I can pick it out on a man in a crowded room. Only thing my man wears!

Party Animals: Complete BBC Series 1 [DVD] [2007]
Party Animals: Complete BBC Series 1 [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Patrick Baladi
Offered by clubbrasil1

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality TV, 6 May 2010
I have been hoping that this will get another TV airing since Matt Smith became the new Dr Who. This drama follows a pair of brothers Danny and Scott (Smith and hugely talented Andrew Buchan) who work behind the scenes in politics. Danny as the researcher for a junior minister and scott as a lobbyist. It follows them in the run up to a by-election in a seat which had been held by their father.

Lots of intrigue, double dealing, relationship and plot twists. The story is so realistic and well crafted it could have been a docudrama like 'The Deal'. Also featuring the impossibly beautiful Shelly Conn as the aspiring Tory Candidate and main love interest.

The writing by Ben Richards is as usual complex with well rounded, real characters and up to the minute storylines. The cast act this effortlessly in a really naturalistic way (there is way more talent in this production than their relative fame would indicate}.

The only thing I don't understand is why it never made it to a second series.

The Impressionists [DVD] [2006]
The Impressionists [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Julian Glover
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 14 Feb. 2010
I can't do justice to this in the way that other reviewers have but it:
*was so beautifully shot that it was like a painting in itself
*taught me things that I didn't know about the relationships between the artists
*made me want to go and just gaze at the pictures
*made me want to visit monets garden in giverney
*made me wish I had any artistic talent at all
had me wishing that it had been twice as long and covered the stories in much more depth.

Oh and for those of you out there just thinking of buying this because it has the spectacularly beautiful Richard Armitage in it, you won't be disappointed, I was rather delighted to find that as a man of 25-26 which I think he was when this was made, he was slightly gawky skinny and less polished than now but just as good to watch on screen.
Sparkhouse is still my favourite piece of his work if only for the most excruciatingly embarrasing sex scene in TV history acted so well that I was squirming with sympathy for many weeks at the thought of it!!!

The Vicar of Dibley - Holy Wholly Happy Ending [DVD]
The Vicar of Dibley - Holy Wholly Happy Ending [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dawn French
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars A fitting way to end, 29 Jan. 2010
I unashamedly bought this so I could see Richard Armitage in something lighter after watching him as the beastly Guy of Gisburne in Robin Hood. I was really impressed by his performance, I always thought him a very serious actor (RSC, Robin Hood, Sparkhouse, etc)so the lighter comedic side was a nice change.

I wasn't disappointed it was gentle and tender, the emerging relationship made me smile and although some scenes were a bit over the top the overwhelming sense was one of satisfaction at a great way to end the series. The vicar had to find someone special and casting Richard who is well known but not in this sort of piece was very clever indeed.

North & South [DVD] [2004]
North & South [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Daniela Denby-Ashe

5.0 out of 5 stars My Guilty Pleasure, 29 Jan. 2010
This review is from: North & South [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
I had never seen this when it appeared on TV and bought it on a whim when I owned almost every other BBC costume drama. I cannot praise this enough for the beautiful ethereal production. I am not going to write a long rambling review just sauthat although this is essentially a love story between Margaret Hale (Daniella Denby Ashe) and John Thornton (Richard Armitage) the most stunning scenes were between Sinead Cusack as John's Mother and Richard Armitage. They were touching and had a realism that brought a lump to my throat. Armitage on his own was mesmerising, In one scene where Margaret is leaving after her fathers death and he is standing in the snow watching her carriage leave, he says "look back at me" it was like being punched in the stomach!
No its not true to the book and it could have been and still been fantastic and I don't like the kiss at the end as it would not have happened in that way. But I will forgive that for the performances which stay with you long after the film has finished.

Frozen [2006] [DVD]
Frozen [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Shirley Henderson
Offered by A2Z Entertains

2.0 out of 5 stars Freezing, 28 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Frozen [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this on my personal DVD with headphones so I wouldn't be distracted and I still didn't understand at the end what the heck was going on. Shirley Henderson is irritatingly childlike when the part called for a strong characterisation. Even the beautiful clean cut Richard Armitage as Stephen couldn't salvage this for me. Ordinarily I would watch it again to give it a chance but I really can't bring myself to. I understand it won an award...............?

Sparkhouse [DVD] [2002]
Sparkhouse [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Sarah Smart

4.0 out of 5 stars Puwerful stuff, 28 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Sparkhouse [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
I have watched this twice now and still can't decide whether I love it or hate it. Thankfully not a close reworking of Wuthering Heights (a thourougly miserable book) it is a powerful story. Filmed in and around Hebden Bridge anyone visiting the area now would find it even more grim that in this production.
Sarah Smart's acting as Carol is outstanding but her character is not a likeable one, she is cold and self serving and although it could be argued that her history is behind this it makes it difficult to warm to the character or feel any empathy for her. Joe McFadden is out of his league in this part a better actor could have carried the role and given it some genuine emotion which his delivery doesn't have. Alun Armstrong is worryingly accurate as the violent alcoholic father. My biggest problem comes with Richard Armitage as John, he is such a fine actor and so totally believable in the role that I cringed in the deeply embarrasing sex scene and found myself saying 'No' out loud when he agreed to marry Carol.
Just a plea to fil makers can someone please write a part for this man which lets us see him really act. I am tired of seeing him in ropey dramas with deeply naff dialogue. There are only a couple of actors in drama who can really convey without much dialogue Richard is one of these and ifthats the sort of performance you like I suggest you check out a british drama called The Fixer which stars another great actor Andrew Buchan.

Robin Hood - Complete Series 2 Box Set [DVD]
Robin Hood - Complete Series 2 Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jonas Armstrong

5.0 out of 5 stars It just gets better!!!, 28 Jan. 2010
The second series has finally nailed some of the first series issues which seemed to revolve around having to set up the 'characters' of the characters. Now that is is bedded in they can concentrate on the stories. These are great with some threads running throught the whole series such as Guy's unrequited love for Marian and the relationships within the 'band of merry men'. Jonas Armstrong is excellent as Robin and seems to have matured into the part, his relationship with his long-term sidekick Much (beautifully played by Sam Troughton) has more depth and complexity than in the first series.
Keith Allen is my favourite pantomime villan he is great fun to watch as his badness is so uninhibited. He looks like he was having a ball making this.
I suppose the highest credit much go to Richard Armitage, I struggled with his relentless unpleasantness as Guy of Gisburne in the first series. But here he is able to bring depth and emotion to a fairly one dimensional written character. He really made me believe that he loves Marian, which makes it all the more shocking that he kills her in the final episode. Lucy as Marian has just the right amount of sweetness and niaviety to pull the role off. (I did wonder whether anyone regretted casting Richard as Guy of Gisburne as although the series is called Robin Hood for me it was definitely the Guy of Gisburne show) There were moments whern there was other action going on when I was just wishing they would get back to the Guy-Marian-Robin love triangle.

Fans of the audio commentaries like me will love this as the commentaries are great and go well with the episodes. Listen carefully to the commentary for the last episode and the discussion about the death scene. Richard Armitage says he really struggled with the idea of killing Marian and didn't sleep for about a week beforehand - I am telling you that the way some of the fans felt afterwards.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 9, 2016 9:52 AM GMT