Profile for R. LANGRISH > Reviews

Tim Burton's Corpse Bride [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Johnny Depp
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly - a one trick pony., 30 Mar. 2007
It was probably inevitable, with such high standards to follow that `The Corpse Bride' might fall short of expectations. `The Nightmare before Christmas', Burton's previous film was inventive, witty and unique. A real one-off. And perhaps that's how it should have stayed - a one-off.

The Corpse Bride is not a bad film - the puppetry is still amazing, the story is quite charming and the songs just as catchy. So why am I disappointed? I think I expected more from the production team - more creativity, more freshness. Not just more of the same. The extras were of far greater interest. Yet another disk to watch once and pass on as a gift I suggest.

Madagascar [DVD] [2005]
Madagascar [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Ben Stiller

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll love to move it, move it!, 27 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Madagascar [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
This film combines slick CGI style animation (Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo) with a huge dollop of cartoonish 'Loony Tune' slapstick. It's bright, colourful, fast moving and in places very funny. I don't have kids, but I'm sure I'd soon regret letting them see this - I'd never get to watch anything else!

My only reservations from proclaiming this a MUST HAVE movie are - too few songs, and a storyline that's slimmer than a minute steak. Hire it or buy it on a Pixar bundle deal.

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (Two-Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [1962]
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (Two-Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [1962]
Dvd ~ Bette Davis
Offered by GX-ENTERTAINMENT UK

4.0 out of 5 stars A 'classic' that's ripe for a remake., 25 Mar. 2007
Although I can't imagine anyone buying 'Baby Jane' who's not seen it already - this classic movie underlines the crime that this Star crossed pairing never happening sooner. But it's not simply a Hollywood Classic, to some it's almost iconic. Who doesn't know someone who can turn-in a half decent Baby Jane impression - intentional or otherwise! It's such a shame (thanks to the many pastiches) the younger audience will probably find this film laughable. It's once contemporary setting hasn't dated well - and neither has some of the direction.

However, it's still a good yarn, which as a previous reviewer stated will, "keep you watching to the end". In fact, despite having seen it six or seven times it was only recently I realised that I'd totally misunderstood the ending. Durh!

As a stand-alone disc, I'd have left it standing alone at Amazon. It was the extra DVD extra that intrigued me. Sadly, the extras are a bit repetitive - but they do bring a freshness to an old favourite. If you are a collector of Bette and Joan, you'll have probably got this already. And if you're looking for horror - 'Casper the Ghost' has more scares.

Under The Tuscan Sun [DVD] [2003] [2004]
Under The Tuscan Sun [DVD] [2003] [2004]
Dvd ~ Diane Lane

3.0 out of 5 stars One for the ladies....., 25 Mar. 2007
... or romantics everywhere. I purchased this film primarily because I enjoyed `My House in Umbria'. And secondly because Linsay Duncan really is this century's Bette Davis - her calculated performances are always an event. I have not heard of Diane Lane, but as a previous Oscar nominee, I cannot imagine this film proved much of a challenge. She's fairly forgettable.

As a film, 'Under the Tuscan Sun' is nicely written and beautifully filmed with superb quality of picture and sound. However, I gather this is a film of the book - and I think it shows. Although, I'm sure readers will be thrilled with it's bounty of probable nods to the text and unexplained quirkiness, as someone who hasn't read the book, I found the story drifty and directionless... Or maybe I'm still disappointed that Mz Duncan's appearance is little more than a cameo role?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 20, 2011 7:12 AM BST

Ladies in Lavender [DVD] (2004)
Ladies in Lavender [DVD] (2004)
Dvd ~ Judi Dench
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars For hopeless Romantics only, 4 Feb. 2007
I saw this film at the Cinema and it moved me. Perhaps it just come along at a poignant time in my life - or perhaps it was just the vulnerability and believability of their performances. But I defy any romantic not to be affected by this work. I was so much, that I vowed never to see it again. At the right moment it's not a film you watch - it's a film you live. It would be like revisiting an old lover's haunt - nothing but disappointment can come from it. However I was wrong. An Amazon voucher, a wandering mouse and the deed was done. Did I regret trying to recapture that moment. Not a bit of it. Some stories don't need the scale the big screen. In fact a small screen and a crackling winter fireside only adds to the intimacy and romance. If you enjoy quality acting and a touching storyline, well told - pull up a chair for the Ladies in Lavender. Ahhh, bless... sniff.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 14, 2010 10:58 PM BST

Zathura [DVD] [2006]
Zathura [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Jonah Bobo
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars This kid loved it!, 4 Feb. 2007
This review is from: Zathura [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
This year I'll be 46, and as much as I love the challenge of a multilayered plot, brain scrambling time-lines and head spinning editing, nothing quite beats the comfort of a slightly scary kids movie on a wet weekend. And Zathura is it! I gather it must have slipped under the blockbuster net, as it came to me as a second-hand '... if you've nothing better to do' recommendation. Sure it's cheesy, sure it's funny where sometimes it shouldn't be and sure it's a little slow to get started. But forget all that. It's got a clever storyline, superb (believable) effects and lots of laugh out loud moments. Unfortunately, as another reviewer mentioned, it is a tiny bit repetitive which means it may well find itself collecting dust under the stairs (along side the boardgame) between yearly outings. Good to buy, watch once and pass on as a gift.

Kundun [DVD] [1998]
Kundun [DVD] [1998]
Dvd ~ Tenzin Thuthob Tsarong

2.0 out of 5 stars Am I enlightened yet?, 4 Feb. 2007
This review is from: Kundun [DVD] [1998] (DVD)
First off, as I am neither a Buddhist or a historian, I can only judge this film on the levels of escapism and artistic merit. And on both levels, I have to grudgingly admit, Kudan fits the bill - almost. However, I have to agree with another reviewer that; lovingly captured scenes, immaculate detailing and understated performances alone do not necessarily make a good film. As someone who loved 'The Last Emperor', 'Passage to India' and other such broad canvas epics, I found Kudan a complete bore. But why? Isn't this a story of global importantance? Perhaps, on film 'goodness and passivity' just don't make for very interesting cinema. And as the credits rolled I was left wondering; with a such a straightforward narrative how ever did this film make production outside of the History/Discovery Channel.

Written without prejudice.

Slutty Summer [2005] [DVD] [2004]
Slutty Summer [2005] [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Casper Andreas

1.0 out of 5 stars Ever the optimist, I gave it a spin..., 3 Feb. 2007
... OH DEAR! I should have paid heed to the other, low-scoring reviews.

Don't be lured by the professional looking cover. This is pure amateaur night. It's poorly scripted, badly acted and just plain dull. And - as if falling short on these essentials wasn't bad enough, the sound quality is also hit and miss. Lunging from muffled mumbles one moment to TV vibrating Club sound track the next. Laughingly memorable was a café scene which must surely have been filmed during a monsoon - I don't know why the characters didn't just give in and continue in mime! So there you have it.... I wasn't expecting much and not much is about all I got. Don't waste your time or your money on Slutty Summer.

(For the record - this reviewer is a partnered, 45 year old gay male).