Profile for Carola > Reviews

Cadbury's Chocolate Novelty Cookbook
Cadbury's Chocolate Novelty Cookbook
by Patricia Dunbar

5.0 out of 5 stars Eco-house cake, 3 Nov. 2011
I bought this book about 30+ years ago when my children were small. I made many of the designs shown for my two sons and my daughter. They loved them. In October 2011 my daughter-in-law asked me to make a celebration cake for our younger son, who was about to celebrate his 30th birthday. As he is an architect and dreams of building his own eco-house I dug out this book, looked it once again and gleaned a few ideas and helpful hints. The completed coffee and chocolate sponge cake had a pitched roof with "turf" (coconut dyed with green food colouring)on one side and solar panels (chocolate melted and poured on perspex)on the other, marzipan dyed brown for a vegetable patch with angelica tips for crops, black marzipan rolled for a water pipe and water butt, a wind turbine made from a straw and cardboard and finely-chopped mixed nuts on butter icing for the driveway and a path of tiny chocolate bits. The cake was a huge success and I would never have attempted it had I not experimented years ago with the cakes illustrated in this wonderful book. I intend buying copies for my daughter and daughter-in-law, who now have babies, in the hope that it will inspire them in the future.

Strictly English: The correct way to write ... and why it matters
Strictly English: The correct way to write ... and why it matters
by Simon Heffer

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for all English teachers, 14 Oct. 2010
I found Simon Heffer's book extremely useful and illuminating. I think this book should be recommended reading for all students and teachers so that clear, written and oral communication can become the order of the day. I am sick of hearing and reading "We were sat" and "I was stood", from university educated people, including some teachers of English! On page 185 Heffer explains clearly why these expressions are incorrect.
I taught GCSE English, A Level and GCSE Literature and TEFL for over 30 years and found that most foreign pupils spoke and wrote more grammatical English than did most natives of UK. The English language has changed over the centuries and is still evolving but there remains a need for clear, well-expressed language using non-ambiguous expressions and accurate vocabulary. Let's get rid of sloppiness.