Profile for Paul of Bromley > Reviews

Content by Paul of Bromley

Paul of Bromley

Legionary: Land of the Sacred Fire (Legionary 3)
Legionary: Land of the Sacred Fire (Legionary 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Looking forward to IV, 25 Feb. 2014
Another great yarn. I look forward to the next one. Although we know what happens to Valens. Will it be a happy ending?

Northern Soul: An Illustrated History
Northern Soul: An Illustrated History
by Elaine Constantine

5.0 out of 5 stars The bar has been raised and set, 10 Jan. 2014
For me it now sits on my coffee table with Richard Barnes - Mods!, Keith Rylatt & Phil Scott - CENtral 1197.

It is an essential reference point about a unique British cultural movement told with love and passion. It is very difficult to get those feelings into words but Elaine has clearly pulled it off. I know I was there for a part of that time too.

I am sure the film will be a blinder.

Peaklife - 3.5 Inch Weatherproof Motorcycle/bike/car GPS Navigator (All Terrain Edition) GPS35M
Offered by Lugii

1.0 out of 5 stars Be careful, misleading reviews and mine packed up, 27 July 2013
I purchased this device in April and first used this device on a 1000 mile round motorcycle trip from South of France in June. The iPeak device has now stopped working after this trip. So be aware this item could leave you in the middle of no where if you are planning a tour or longer journey - perhaps it is fine pottering around London or another city

Warning also that there is also a lot of misleading information that you may deduce from some of the reviews below.

When you purchase this device - it is hardware only. I previously purchased from a company called Dobra investments but now they seem to have changed their name.

So you need to purchase the map software from somewhere else - this is therefore not a plug and play system. When I purchased iGo software for this device I had to start fiddling around and editing files to get the screen resolution right.

ok, so you pays your money and take your choice but be prepared for some fiddling around to get the software working.

Another review also indicated you get 2 batteries. I only received 1. When I pointed this out I was told I would receive another 1 as a good will gesture - guess what? never received it! So end up purchasing some of these Nokia BL 5J batteries seperately (cost is starting to add up now - software + spare battery)

So anyway I get the system finally going. Attach to my classic scooter (6v - so really relying on the use of batteries) ready for 1000 mile return trip to south of France, one of my other fellow riders having a Tom Tom device.

The problems start on the way down. I charge the battery via the USB port as I stop off but start to find it wont start. Swap a battery around - still intermittant but does start in the end - I throw away a battery thinking it is faulty.

This goes on and on, basically by now I have given up providing any guidance to our group and just rely on my mates Tom Tom

Finally on the return leg, it is still working but with a last battery swap around it fails again - luckily I had just navigated out of Paris.

When I get the device home, I recharge the batteries (red light comes on) but device refuses to power up - I have now requested a return but there was some note that this run out in April a couple of weeks after I purchased the item. Also the standard note that this is nothing to do with Amazon.

Will keep you posted on how the return/exchange/refund goes. But think carefully on your choice here - penny wise, pound foolish comes to mind or caveat emptoir
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2013 11:22 PM GMT

ASUS S200E 11.6-inch VivoBook Touchscreen Laptop (Intel Core i3 3217U 1.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, LAN, WLAN, Webcam, BT, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8)

4.0 out of 5 stars Daughter is over the moon, 30 Dec. 2012
As a professional IT buyer it can be sometimes a bit of a challenge buying for yourself and especially my daughter where it is going to be a first laptop / main present.

High in my mind therefore was:

- Will it be Future proof
- Useability
- What will her mates think of it
- Will it be good value

On the 'Mates think of it' point, this is not always something you necessarily consider as a business buyer, but lets be real as Tech Envy surely exists and why the Apple brand is so well regarded. I have seen this increasingly as Apple expands into the workplace although telling users to get it fixed at their local Apple store is not the business service they have been used to.

So in terms of Future proofing: 1. Windows 8, its here and will be around for a number of years for sure. So a device with Windows 8 was a must.

Useability: Windows 8 is designed around touch screen and this device has it. Seeing as my daughter already has a BB which is both touchscreen and buttons, then this type of hybrid device is going to work well if your little darling has been evolving along a similar technology path. And as I write this I really see my daughter using the touch screen, keyboard and mouse like a duck to water.
My main concern actually on most laptops is how good is the built in mouse device. I really like the fact that the mouse device is a good size (approximately 40% of base area). I have used it myself and like the feel over my current Dell and Lenevo's I have used in the past - thats whay I always end up never using the inbuilt mouse (waste of space IMO).

Tech Envy / What do mates think: My daughter has already taken it around to a friends and they think it is cool. It looks sleek and well built. ok, it doesnt come in white, but it is still cool enough. Perhaps Asus to Apple, as Samsung is to Sony. Like some of these examples, the smaller player some times takes the lead when the big boys arent looking / paying attention.

Lastly value for money: There are plenty of non-touch screen laptops out there with better Screen size, CPU, RAM, Drive etc, but they dont have the touch screen and if they do they are £300 more, so given the above plus the current price. I think it was a good buy - so far so good