ARRAY(0xa845ea08)

Profile for K. G. A. Alavi > Reviews

Content by K. G. A. Alavi

K. G. A. Alavi (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dragon Wolf [DVD]
Dragon Wolf [DVD]
Dvd ~ Raimund Huber
Price: 11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Play it with the sound off, 17 Dec 2013
This review is from: Dragon Wolf [DVD] (DVD)
Have to say I was not expecting much from this film, the picture quality and sound (very bad dubbing) made me thing this is a re mastered film from the 70's. I have to say if the characters just shut up and fought this would have been a nice little martial arts action film. Having said that this film is much raunchier then the average martial arts film. Not much swearing (which if you take my advice is and turn the volume off is not a problem anyway) but a lot more nudity.

The plot is micro thin, but that is ok because the action more that makes up for that. A young boy is saved by a shaman at the cost of his mother's life. He befriended by another boy and they grow up as close as brothers. Together they have become two of the most successful mob enforcers and hitmen. Now they are trying to kill each other. What could have come between them? Surprise it was a beautiful woman with a dragon tattoo. This is an entertaining action film. The dubbing is bad the dialog is terrible which is why I had to take a star away. I personally hate when someone suddenly starts talk about the meaning of life during a fight or a sparring secession. In fact every conversation seems to be like this.

There are some comedy moments in the film that are so silly but they end up on the right side of funny to make me laugh. Who does not find a cokehead blow himself up with his own grenade funny? All in all great action, silly slapstick style comedy, some nudity but bad sound and dialogue. On lovefilms I gave it 3 1/2 stars but I though it deserved a round up rather than a round down.

Undisputed Truth: My Autobiography
Undisputed Truth: My Autobiography
by Mike Tyson
Price: 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The title say it all! Undisputed truth!!, 16 Dec 2013
This is a 5 star is every category. Great honest, informative, and well written content. Great value for money 8 for this book is a steal. This book is a monster 564 pages in small print. This does not mean much is the subject is however Tyson's story, life and career is so riveting I was interested almost addicted all the way through.

If have any interest in boxing or contact sports in general you will know who Mike Tyson is I think Lennox Lewis' manager said it best in his quote "Tyson is the most exciting heavy weight fighter to come down in the last 50 year". Completely true growing up in the late 80's it was not a question of who could beat Tyson (that would just be the kind of talk that got someone committed#, it was which round they would be knocked out in. he seemed to be born and bred for fighting. He was vicious in the ring he was not looking to win points he was looking coming to fight and knock someone out. Then everything went wrong. Starting from his marriage to his publicised allegations and sentencing. Since he came out he was never the same in the ring, but when you read the book you will find that this was the least of his issues.

The book is written in the first person, but it is almost like it is written by two different people; like a split personality Iron Mike the conqueror, and Mike the person living in his shadow. One minute is talking the perks of living it up as the world the women the money, then Mike talking about the shame of having betrayed the person he was with, yet he is talking about the same topic.

Reading the book I saw how this came about. The outward persona Mike projected, and how he lived that persona. Like he said he talked the talk but he walked the walk too. He was almost brainwashed into creating Iron Mike. Finishing the book I keep wondering how Tyson's life would have been different if Cus had survived. He was the one person Tyson listened to the person who could tell him no and make him stop. The person who was such a perfectionist he would tell Mike what he did wrong even after a first round knockout.

Mike describes himself as an extremist #not because he is a Muslim, I will come back to that later). Looking at his life through the book he more than lives up to the statement. From no money to too much, no women to women throwing themselves at him many at a time. The extremes he lived with at an early age he was not prepared for and many people taking advantage of him. Again is Cus had survived he might have had someone in his corner to help him deal with this. Throughout the book Mike comes across a bit naive but as does display many street smarts. An example is not hiding his handcuffs when he was sentenced because he knew the image it would project to the inmates inside before he arrived. He also shows great aptitude for learning especially in history and psychological warfare. If he was bone a couple of centuries earlier, his name would have been up there with Spartacus or Hercules.

Towards the end of the book, we get more of grown up Mike's perception. The biggest example I can think of how much he has grown is where talks about his own beliefs. My interpretation he is mature enough to understand religion is based on your own perceptions and you need to make your own choices with as much information as you have.

Mike talks open and honestly about every experience in his life good or bad, if you question his honesty the last postscript should convince even the harshest critic he has told the truth. I really enjoyable and informative read. It is not so much an inspirational tale for me, more of a cautionary one about how to deal with the excesses of success, and having people you can trust around you. Another reviewer said the mark of good autobiography is the author gives you a better impression of themself after you have read it. I was already a fan of Tyson but after reading this I did have a higher opinion of him than before I read it. A 5 star book by any margin.

Man of Steel [DVD + UV Copy]
Man of Steel [DVD + UV Copy]
Dvd ~ Henry Cavill
Price: 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reboot, 9 Dec 2013
This review is from: Man of Steel [DVD + UV Copy] (DVD)
I really enjoyed this film. I like the visual effects, I liked story, it was more the Superman: Earth One TP (Superman (DC Comics Numbered)), I though the cast was great and fit the characters brilliantly. I like that fact that Superman is older he in his early 30s, I mean there should be some distinction between Superman and Superboy right.

The story starts On Krypton, with the birth of Kal El; in this version the Kryptonians are not the super enlightened beings they are on other versions of the story. They are a more Gattaca [DVD] [1998] type of society. Each Kryptonian is "born" and bread for a specific purpose. I think there is a not so hidden message about using up natural resources that leads to the destruction of Krypton.

Escaping not only the destruction of his planet, but also a military coo staged by the ruthless General Zod, Clark/Kal El, has grown up in Earth in Kansas to the Kent family. Not understanding or being able to control his powers, he is ostracised, picked on, feared and revered by different people.

Like the book we have to older Clark looking for clues and answers to where he came from with flash back to the lesson he learned growing up. His only clue is a "USB" with the Kryptonian symbol of, "S", hope on it. Finally finding his answers he gains a better understanding of his powers and his history, but unwittingly brings his people to him. Now he must decide to stand with the people of Earth or the people of his birth because the Earth is not big enough for both.

A great film lots of action, great fight scenes, I like the fact that Superman does get beaten down a bit as the people he is fighting are trained soldiers where as he "learned on a farm". I like that line. His only edge is he has more control over his powers. Big battle scenes in keeping with the character, I even appreciate the moral dilemma at the end. It not only adds to the story but will be something interesting if built on in the next film. The only critic I could find was they did not give Superman many lines, probably because of the British accent. All round good film, fun, good story, great visuals, and a great cast.

G.I. Joe: Retaliation [DVD]
G.I. Joe: Retaliation [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dwayne Johnson
Price: 5.00

3.0 out of 5 stars ok action movie, 8 Dec 2013
This review is from: G.I. Joe: Retaliation [DVD] (DVD)
There is nothing really wrong with this film, it is just that it could have been so much better. It is missing that certain something. It might have been there was no character development. The action scenes were pretty good but it is just one after the other.

After the event of G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra [DVD] Cobra Commander and Destro have been incarcerated in a secret prison. However Zarthan has replaced the President of the US. Biding his time he finally springs his trap to frame, and execute the GIJOE's. Then freeing the Commander thus places the US into Cobra's control. The only problem is he missed 3 JOEs in the dessert and Snake-eyes who was attending to unfinished business for his Ninja clan. Now the remaining JOEs must enlist a legend to help the stop Armageddon on a global scale. Snake-eyes and Storm Shadow must settle their unfinished business for an chance of stopping Cobra.

All in all this is big budget shiny action movie, going from one fight to another. I read another review that the DVD version I saw was only half the film. I would have too see it to change my opinion of the film. Seeing as they cut the number of JOEs down to 6 this would be the perfect time for some character development but that is left out in favor or more explosions. This film is action escapism, bordering in overload. Good to watch if nothing else is on.

Star Wars - Knights of the Old Republic (Vol. 10)  War (Star Wars 10)
Star Wars - Knights of the Old Republic (Vol. 10) War (Star Wars 10)
by Gigi Baldassini
Price: 11.36

3.0 out of 5 stars More the art of war than WAR, 1 Dec 2013
The title is War you have warrior Jedi, the Mandalorians, and it is set during the time of the Republic Mandalorian War. With all this I expected a lot more actions. The first issue did live up to this, but after that the rest of the mini serise is more talk than action. I little disappointing really. A good story on the Republic and the Mandalorian's philosophy, but if ever a serise could have used action and overkill this would be it, but it really does not deliver.

Beast Quest: 4: Tagus the Horse-Man
Beast Quest: 4: Tagus the Horse-Man
by Adam Blade
Price: 3.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stroy time with the kids, 27 Nov 2013
I enjoy reading these to my kids they look forward to a couple of chapter at night time. Though, I have caught my 6 year old grabbing the book and reading a couple pages on his own. Who would have though exciting action packed stories of magic and mystical characters/beasts would encourage youngsters to read?

After the freeing Arcta, Tom and Ellana travel to the country side. Here their mission is to free Tagus the Horseman (a Centaur) who is attacking the surrounding cattle he once protected. During ove of these attacks a local boy is causes a bush fire and a local boy is missing. Tom is wrongfully blamed. Cut off from his friends and magical items can Tom escape, clear his name and still free the beast?

Good story, of action but the thing that stands out in this story is Tom's resolve and resourcefulness. The series continues to highlight Tom's courage in situations even when he is overmatched. The true makings of a hero.

The Big Wedding [DVD]
The Big Wedding [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert De Niro
Price: 5.00

1.0 out of 5 stars SO Wrong!!!, 25 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Big Wedding [DVD] (DVD)
How can a film with a cast like this be so bad? Please do not look at the cast and think this film can be redeemed it can't. Don't fall into the same trap I did.

Someone called this dated American Pie for adults I think it is more like American Pie with adults, I cannot see any one over the age of 9 who would find this funny. Not that for one moment I am suggest you expose a poor child to a moment of this film. They try too much with shock humour, I said try, there is not a moment in this film I found funny. Very poorly done, I agree with another reviewer just fast forward to the happy ending and pretend you saw it if you must. I am only glad I borrowed it from lovefilms rather than paying for it.

The Wolverine [DVD]
The Wolverine [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hugh Jackman
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.
Price: 13.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing!!!, 25 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Wolverine [DVD] (DVD)
Maybe my expectations were too high. I really thought they had all the ingredients right. I mean Wolverine in Japan, the comic story is already written, hell 100s of comics have been written about Wolverine's connection to Japan! How can you get it so wrong? I kept watching the film thinking it has got to get better. I don't even want to call this an action movie as the fight scenes are so bad.

The plot starts out promising enough, after the events of events of X-Men 3: The Last Stand [2 Disc Edition] [DVD], Wolverine has exiled himself to the woods dreaming about Jean Grey, who keep calling him to the other side. During World War 2 (I thought this was Hiroshima) Wolverine saved a Japanese soldier, who is not the leader of Yashida industries. A leading tech company. He offers Wolverine the one thing he wants to be mortal and die, the only thing is his gift need to be transferred to someone else namely him. Wolverine refuses so as a dying request he asks Wolverine to look after his granddaughter Mariko. Yes in to comic Mariko was true love, but on screen the two of them have absolutely no screen chemistry. They barley exchange words in fact the only thing a bodyguard seems to need to sleep with her is to chop some wood, not know how to use chopsticks, and wear a Kimono wrong.

The movie version of Wolverine has no connection to Japan, he does not even speak the language, he has no marital arts training, and he does not even know how to hold a sword properly. A couple of silver linings I thought were nice touches were making Viper a mutant snake lady and Wolverine doing the "Fastball special". Even his fight with the Silver Samurai robot was stupid. In the comics The Silver Samurai uses his mutant power to charge his blade with heat or ice, I can understand the robot doing this through science, but how the hell does Wolverine do it by holding the blade with "2 hands"?

I really did not like the film, it looks like they scanned the origin source material and copied a couple of names and tried to make a story that way. The movie seemed to be an excuse for Jackman to run around with his shirt off. The acting was bad, even the action and fight cerography was bad. The most interesting thing about the movie was the promo for the next X-men film after the end credits. I would only recommend this to hard-core Hugh Jackman fans definitely not Wolverine fans. For them (and me) I would recommend Marvel Wolverine: Animated Series [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC], much closer to the source material.

May Your Sky Be Always Clear
May Your Sky Be Always Clear
Price: 3.51

4.0 out of 5 stars American romance. It could happen, 24 Nov 2013
This is not my usual book to read. I just finished It's Been Emotional by Vinnie Jones and am starting Undisputed Truth: My Autobiography by Mike Tyson, so I can keep my guy card. I know the writer personally so I thought I would support them in their first book. It was a nice story of two people finding each other, and using each other's strength to overcome their own situations.

Like most romance novels you know in the first couple of page who the characters to be paired up are. This is set in modern day. With cell phones and email. The story keep you interested, there are no huge surprising twists or turns, and the language is a little crude at times even for 20 something Americans, but definitely shows the writer high level vocabulary. I likes the story's' sublet message about being true to yourself and your beliefs to go along with the romance. The side character are just that they pop in and doo their bit then leave not trying to steal the spotlight it is not their story. The book is the right length to keep you interested till the end and actually come to care for the characters, who are as usual the last one (even though it is obvious to everyone else including the book characters) to know they are in love.

A good short book, just on a personal level more punching next time PLEASE!!!!

Darth Vader and the Ninth Assassin (Star Wars (Dark Horse))
Darth Vader and the Ninth Assassin (Star Wars (Dark Horse))
by Thompson

4.0 out of 5 stars Revenge against the Sith, 22 Nov 2013
The usual Vader story a reminders of how ruthless, evil, and deadly Darth Vader really is. Good art work a little cartoony but still good. Also a reminder that though Darth Sidious was not just one of the most powerful Sith lords but stealthiest/smartest planners as well.

A rich business and wants revenge against Vader for killing his son. After sending 8 of the galaxy's top and most deadly assassins after Darth Vader. None of them have returned. Following leads he now employs the Ninth Assassin so deadly and secrete nobody know hears or see him. The other part of the story a for sensitive suicide cult have their own plans for Vader. First step get rid of his master. Even with Vader distracted can the Ninth Assassin take him?

A good stand-alone story (Vader does not like loose ends); with lots of action and Vader doing what he does best. Also it is not a good idea to get too close to Vader whether you are on his side or not. The only thing new in this book is an application of Vader's amour in deep space, I never thought about it but in theory it works.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20