ARRAY(0xaeb31018)

Profile for P. Cleary > Reviews

Content by P. Cleary

P. Cleary "herbgarden" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Reaching for the Moon
Reaching for the Moon
Price: 3.08

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I could have read this as a young teen!, 9 Jun 2013
Lucy's book is the book I wish I had read before I started my own menstruation - it would definitely have saved me some of the embarrassment, shame and guilt attached to stepping into womanhood. This book is a treasure. I hope it is spread far and wide and feel excited about the magic and understanding it will weave in the lives of every girl who reads it.

Confident Birth
Confident Birth
by Susanna Heli
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh, modern and practical birth book, 20 Feb 2013
This review is from: Confident Birth (Paperback)
As a fellow doula and book reviewer who had never heard of Susanna Heli, I was really intrigued when this book landed on my door mat. I instantly found the book a joy to look at, to read, to flick through, and to return to. Susanna's style is comforting without ever being patronising, and her tone is confident and clear. I think the real success of this book is its accessibility. The tools and coping strategies she suggests are easy to implement - whatever walk of life the woman comes from, and whatever setting she has her baby in. I have recommended this book to Doula UK members and have a feeling I will be buying several copies over the years. I love this book!

Feed Yourself, Feed Your Family: Good Nutrition and Healthy Cooking for New Mums and Growing Families
by La Leche League International
Price: 15.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty book with real substance - a tasty read!, 24 Sep 2012
This book has the lovely cosy feel of a river cottage style cookbook in that it is modern, cosy, and friendly, with tempting colour photographs. Feed Yourself, Feed your family is more specifically detailed though when it comes to nutritional information for mothers. Inbetween these pages you will find a wealth of information which is specifically relevant to your dietary needs at different points in your mothering journey, and those of your young growing children. There's a laid back attitude here backed up with sensible no-nonsense recipes, finely honed over the many years of LaLeche Leagues existence. This is a really great book!

Moon Time: A guide to celebrating your menstrual cycle
Moon Time: A guide to celebrating your menstrual cycle
by Lucy H Pearce
Price: 9.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting back in touch with our rhythms, 25 May 2012
Lucy's book is a warm and friendly invitation to look at our womanly rhythms and make friends with all the different phases we go through in the context of our monthly cycle and equally, at the various different stages of our womanhood. By embarking on a journey of greater understanding of ourselves, of how we think and behave at different times of the month or the different ages of womanhood, we are able to nurture ourselves and each other more appropriately. This book will not eliminate cramps or crabbiness, or other period related problems, but it will help us to think more closely about how we can jiggle our commitments around so we can plan for quiet, nurturing, introspective time and outgoing, busy periods to coincide with our monthly clock. How hard we work to make that possible is up to us. Like all great teachers, she simply shows a path, which the reader can take as far as they want.... and by reminding us of our connection to the moon, to ancient rhythms, we can find a more peaceful way of embracing our many different phases, not just at 'Moon Time'.

Ulster Weavers Bliss Mug in a Tin
Ulster Weavers Bliss Mug in a Tin

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous!, 16 May 2012
What can I say, this is such a beautiful set - absolutely LOVE it! I bought the matching tea-towel too, as the design is such a classic. Now I want the apron too :-)

The Heart In the Womb
The Heart In the Womb
by Amali Lokugamage
Price: 11.69

5.0 out of 5 stars An obstetricians view on birth turned on its head - read this book if you want an experts opinion on natural birth practices!, 16 May 2012
This review is from: The Heart In the Womb (Paperback)
I am a doula-in-training with four children of my own. I own many many books on birthing. This one was a revelation - to read a book written by a professional who was trained and worked in obstetrics confirming my own 'hippy' views on birth was an absolute joy! After my first hospital birth and then three beautiful homebirths, I feel really strongly that pregnancy and birth is a journey of the soul, an inner journey that cannot simply be reduced to numbers, timescales, measurements on a screen or clipboard. Each pregnancy has its own rhythm, each mother and baby are a unique dyad....., the biochemic, spiritual, and emotional aspect of pregnancy is completely ignored by obstetrics and this is what Dr. Amali discovered for herself. She fell down the rabbit hole and lost her faith in the machines, the micro-managed, no-can-do approach to birthing and instead listened more closely to her body and her baby. She became empowered by surrounding herself with wise women, by learning alternative solutions to pregnancy-related challenges, overcame her pregnancy diabetes, and softened into her pregnancy in a really inspiring and beautiful way. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. If you are wavering about whether you 'qualify' for a home birth, are being bullied into an obstetric birth you don't want, read this book and take heart. If an obstetrician can write a book telling you to listen to your own body, that's a pretty good endorsement of this 'unscientific' and yet life affirming, life-altering alternative journey! If your GP needs convincing, leave this copy lying around at their surgery or shove it under their door! Sometimes those entrenched in the medical model needs to be taught or reminded of the mystery and magic of birth.... and all it's gifts, lessons and joy!

Cooperation in the Classroom: The Jigsaw Method
Cooperation in the Classroom: The Jigsaw Method
by Shelly Patnoe
Price: 9.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Peace in the classroom leads to peace in the world!, 11 Mar 2012
The purpose of this book is to help educationalists increase co-operation in the classroom by eliminating competitiveness between students. The theory is that by getting children to work in groups, by removing the hierarchical structure of 1 teacher vs. a whole class full of students, the students themselves are made to work together and problem solve, do projects etc... in a collaborative way, in little teams, thus each student relies and needs the other, each being part of a jigsaw. (Hence why this book is called The Jigsaw Method)

This method looks great because it involves each student in their own learning so transforms them from being passive learners to active ones, and seems genuinely to address the students needs to be a valuable team member - which in turn, will have an impact on the students self esteem and sense of place and responsibility and duty to others in a wider social context.

This is a really positive book, and whilst the method seems to have arisen from a need to get different ethnic groups learning happily alongside one another, I think this is a valuable book for all educators, in all classroom settings, regardless of where they are in the world.

If acted upon, the suggestions in this book will undoubtedly transform any classroom into a place where students have no need to compete or undermine one another since the learners are co-dependent, and the teacher facilitates rather than dictates. The suggestion in the book of asking learners to give feedback is a really valid part of reversing the hierarchy that has dominated school culture for so long. By treating the student seriously and showing them that their opinion is valuable, their self esteem and dignity are preserved unlike the conventional method of reporting at the end of year.

In the afterward, there's a lovely letter from a boy who writes to Professor Aronson many years after meeting him once in the classroom when he had been a child himself, and he says this rather lovely thing

".... Most important, when we started to work in jigsaw groups, I began to realize that I wasn't really that stupid. And the kids I thought were cruel and hostile became my friends and the teacher acted friendly and nice to me and I actually began to love school, and I began to learn to love things and now I'm going to Harvard Law School."

Wow!

I'm really excited about the possibilities of this book!

Mama Bamba Way:The Power and Pleasure of Natural Childbirth
Mama Bamba Way:The Power and Pleasure of Natural Childbirth
by Robyn Sheldon
Price: 12.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal, 24 Feb 2012
Very accessible, modern book with a deeply spiritual outlook on birth in all it's glory. Simply wonderful. Stunning photography and lots of useful insights and techniques to overcome fear.

Here Comes Science
Here Comes Science

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab, 29 May 2010
This review is from: Here Comes Science (Audio CD)
This is our third They Might Be Giants CD for children and we already know all the songs off by heart! Love it. If you're a creationist you might not like the song "Science is real" because it states that evolution is a fact. Which some people will have a problem with. We love this album through and through and are going to see them live at the South bank on their "Science is Real" tour. The kids can often be heard singing these songs and the videos make it even more fun. They MIght be Giants have basically copied the same kind of formula as the 1970's 'Schoolhouse rock" album/cartoons and brought a lot of energy, humour and quirkiness to the project. If you like this, you may also like "Here come the ABC's" and also "Here come the 123's". Ideal for home educators (like us), or for use in schools and packs in a lot of scientific information.

Putumayo Kids Presents African Playground
Putumayo Kids Presents African Playground
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 9 Nov 2009
This is a real treat for children and adults alike. If you want to feel soaked in the African exuberant spirit then this is the CD for you. We play it a lot and often play it in our van on the way to gymnastics on a saturday morning to get the kids in the mood and to do some warm ups, shaking their hands, heads, wiggling their toes etc... It never fails to properly wake us all up and put us in a cheerful mood.

It is enlivening and beautiful music for children without being patronising or dumbed down like some awful children's albums. Sheer magic. If you go on the Putumayo website, there are free downloads associated with the album, and info on the awards it has won. The most exiting and easy way into understanding a culture is to feel it's rhythms - far more fun and important than learning facts and figures and geography as taught in textbooks - this will do much more to get your kids interested in Africa - it will get under their skin and breathe new life into them!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3