Profile for viffer > Reviews

27 (Twenty-Seven): Six Friends, One Year
27 (Twenty-Seven): Six Friends, One Year
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A contemporary novel, 6 Sep 2013
This novel explores important issues of underage sex, alcoholism and domestic violence in a way that feels genuine and well researched.
I found myself compelled to read on. The ending is refreshingly modern, and ties things together in a satisfying way.
I was impressed by the way the author writes about vulnerable female characters.

Starbook
Starbook
Price: 4.31

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing after the famished road, 11 Aug 2013
This review is from: Starbook (Kindle Edition)
I read The Famished Road some years ago and it is still one of my favourite books. So I was seriously disappointed to find that this book doesn't compare.
I found it pretentious, overly stylised and basically very hard going.
If you're looking for an excellent, thought provoking and at times surreal read then go for The Famished Road. If you've already read that then try something by Andre Brink or Josef Skvorecky. Whatever you do though, don't read this.

An Act Of Terror
An Act Of Terror
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Brink's most thought provoking yet, 11 Aug 2013
This review is from: An Act Of Terror (Kindle Edition)
I love Andre Brink's books. They are uniformly entertaining, disturbing and challenging.
Without giving anything away, in this story you find yourself empathising with characters who, on further reflection, may not be people of whom you would normally approve.

The Engineer of Human Souls (Picador Books)
The Engineer of Human Souls (Picador Books)
by Josef Skvorecky

5.0 out of 5 stars Endless (in a good way), 11 Aug 2013
This book seems to go on for ever, but you never get bored of reading it.
The story covers decades of change both in the life of the main character and in his country.
I've always loved Skvorecky for his commentary on the changing regimes in Czechoslovakia and for the depth and honesty of his insight. This story is by far the deepest and most honest of all the books I've read so far by this author.