Profile for Mr. A. Mcgregor > Reviews

Content by Mr. A. Mcgregor

Mr. A. Mcgregor "Alex" (Devon, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Fix It Utilities 11 Professional (PC)
Fix It Utilities 11 Professional (PC)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure about this., 24 July 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Fix It is among a growing number of programs that claim to speed up your computer and protect it from spyware etc. It does indeed appear to do a reasonably good job; it removed several nasty cookies on its first scan, and its startup scan, as well as most of the other features are easy enough to use and do a decent job. That said, most anti-virus packages come bundled with this kind of software, and from my experience Fix It isn't so much better as to warrant a seperate purchase. My main grip with Fix It though is the that it is extremely memory hungry, and even when running in the background, it uses far more than I feel it needs to.

Tomorrow, When The War Began [DVD]
Tomorrow, When The War Began [DVD]
Dvd ~ Caitlin Stasey
Offered by Shop4World

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 12 April 2011
A big invasion and a group of teenagers fighting a guerilla war... it all seems quite familier. The cynic in me wants to say that this is simply a modern take of Red Dawn, but with a low budget and Australian soap stars. The movie starts by setting the scene, normal life in rural Australia for a bunch of teenagers. Its when they return from a camping trip and they realise that their country has been invaded by some unknown 'coalition', and all their parents are missing.

The movies focus is only on the main characters, rarely does it try to explain the background to why the invasion is happening. In this case at least though, I didn't feel it was necessary as it left more time time in developing the characters, which this movie does very well. The action scenes are for the most part very convincing, and unlike several movies that have been released in recent times, are just a part of the story, as oppose to making the story.

It may be worth remembering that the book this movie was based on was meant for 'young adults', which I am not! That said I think that there is plenty good about the movie for any age. For a movie with a fraction of the budget of Hollywood blockbusters it compares favourably with anything I have seen recently. Best of all, When the War Began was the first in a series of 3 books and based on how popular its been down under, a sequel seems quite likely.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 28, 2011 7:34 PM BST

Norton 360 v5.0, 1 User, 3 PCs 1 Year Subscription (PC)
Norton 360 v5.0, 1 User, 3 PCs 1 Year Subscription (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I switched, 4 April 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Despite having read sometime ago that McAfee has a habbit of missing viruses, I have used it for many years. After constant intrusions in gaming and a noticable lag on my PC, and McAfee not finding ANY problems, I decided to try Norton. Installation was very quick, and worryingly within minutes of starting the first scan, malware and spyware was starting to get detected. After a couple of hours and 65 'risks' found, I think you might say I was relieved. Norton is also fairly straight forward to use, and hasn't been as intrusive as McAfee. I guess its pretty safe to say that I'm happy switched!

Wanted [DVD]
Wanted [DVD]
Dvd ~ Angelina Jolie
Offered by DVD Overstocks

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't stand it, 30 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Wanted [DVD] (DVD)
A spy/ assasin movie Morgan Freeman and Angelina Jolie sounded pretty good, I don't think that I've seen one bad movie from either. The movie starts promisingly enough.. an ordinary office worker who got abandonned by his dad when a boy finds out his dad was actually an assasin and has been killed, and he is to follow in his footsteps. The action scenes start shortly after, and that is one part of the move that I can't complain about, they are over the top but fantastic to watch.

But the lead character who at first is a cocky loser who I couldn't stand, becomes a cocky assasin who I also could stand even less. The fact he went from having big doubts about becoming an assasin, to being totally for it and really keen in one short scene is just one of many huge holes in the story. The ending is also dreadful.

There have been many movies out recently without any kind of a plot, and this is NOT one of them. Wanted is instead one of those where movies where the plot is so bad that you wish they hadn't bothered. I have to say I honestly cannot remember watching a movie as bad as this.

Operation: Endgame [DVD]
Operation: Endgame [DVD]
Dvd ~ Zach Galifianakis
Offered by Helen's Goodies

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for what it is, 26 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Operation: Endgame [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Opereation Endgame is basically about some psycotic agents being locked up together in a secret base and then trying to kill each other: cue absolutely shocking language and violence that involves office equipment used in ways I hadn't imagined. The acting is mediocre, and some of the fight scenes are frankly just bad, but then this isn't a big budget movie. Most of the funny bits rely on either horrible insults or very graphic violence so it's not exactly clever stuff. A good comparison may be a movie such as Shaun of the Dead, though this is more gory, and in my opinion more funny. If you're someone that's even moderately easy to offend, I promise you will be offended, so don't get this! If you enjoy movies such as Shaun of the Dead or The Hangover, you'll probably like this too.

Just Cause 2 - Classics (Xbox 360)
Just Cause 2 - Classics (Xbox 360)
Offered by MyMemory

5.0 out of 5 stars 6 months late and still playing., 14 Mar. 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The plot is incredibly thin, the grahics are decent but not special, and the whole game seems to lack polish. But for some reason, long after I finished playing other similar games I still keep coming back. Why? A huge map, big explosions, endless mini games... the list goes on. I have had all of the GTA and other similar Rockstar games, as well as Saints Row and lots of others. I haven't played any for as long as this.

Bully: Scholarship Edition (PC)
Bully: Scholarship Edition (PC)
Offered by John Seth Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars A great game, 14 Mar. 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Grand Theft Auto it isn't, but Bully does have a reasonably large map, good gameplay and a half-decent story. The PC port isn't as good as the console versions, but if you can get the controls mapped in a way that suits you, or have an xbox 360 contoller (which makes things A LOT easier) you shouldn't have a problem. It has dated a bit and there are many better sandbox games these days, but for this price I won't complain.

The Devil's Garden
The Devil's Garden
by Edward Docx

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit slow at the beginning, 9 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The Devil's Garden (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Devils Garden is a well written and very descriptive book, but definately not one for fans of more action oriented books. Personally, I can enjoy both and some of the best books I have ever read would fall in the very descriptive category. The reason I mention this is that The Devils Garden is slow... and at the beginning very slow. Whereas the author does a good job at setting the mood and the scene of the rest of the book, it's not until nearly halfway that the story begins to take shape. After that the book does become reasonably good, and I guess the first few chapters do add to the experience. Is it worth sticking with it until halfway? In my opinion yes and if you like these kind of books, this one is worth a read.

The Secret History
The Secret History
by Donna Tartt

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously the best book I have ever read, 3 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The Secret History (Paperback)
216 reviews and counting! It does feel a bit pointless writing another 5 star review for this book, but I really can't help myself. I read The Secret History while travelling a few years ago... and still keep re-reading it fairly often. Donna Tartts writing is absolutly amazing, and though I am usually not too bothered about very descriptive books I could not put this down. The lead character seems very believable; a student from a working class family who many of us will be able to relate to, in a university with diverse and eccetric side characters. I have honestly found myself comparing every book I have read since to this book. None have even come close.

Unstoppable [DVD]
Unstoppable [DVD]
Dvd ~ Denzel Washington
Offered by SweetBuzzards

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it., 21 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Unstoppable [DVD] (DVD)
To be honest, Unstoppable is far from groundbreaking; train goes out of control, two train drivers try to stop it from destroying a city. That said, I found this to be one of the best action movies I have watched for a long time. Performances by Denzel Washington and the rest of the cast were great, and the whole movie came across as gritty and believable. I really enjoyed this movie.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16