Profile for Mr. A. Mcgregor > Reviews

Content by Mr. A. Mcgregor

Mr. A. Mcgregor "Alex" (Devon, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
The Goldfinch
The Goldfinch
by Donna Tartt
Price: 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Stunning, 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Hardcover)
It was a few years now when ago I stumbled on a copy of Tartts first book. I read about twenty books a year but I still remember The Secret History well and while her second book The Little Friend wasn't as great as the first, I still had great hopes for The Goldfinch.

The story is told through the eyes of Theo, who as a child has a very traumatic experience very early in the book. The story tells of his hurt and his subsequent journey through his teens and on to adulthood. The book is beautifully written, the characters are colourful and deep and the story is intriguing.

I was really hoping for a book as good as The Secret History and I have to say, if anything The Goldfinch is better. I hope we'll get another book from Tartt before long.

The Whole Truth
The Whole Truth
by David Baldacci
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed it, 25 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Whole Truth (Paperback)
I've read a few of Baldaccis books now and have in the past enjoyed them more than other similar books by James Patterson or Dan Brown. The Whole Truth, looking at it as a thriller alone is decent. The story line is hardly ground breaking or flashy, nor will it keep you guessing the whole way through- it's not bad, it's just not brilliant either.

What sets this book apart are the characters. I've read too many suspense-thrillers with 'shells' of characters which are really just used as plot devices rather than distinct personalities. In view at least, David Baldacci has done a great job of intodrucing us to the characters without going overboard, something that makes the remainder of the somewhat average plot that much more entertaining.

Kobo eReader Glo - eBook reader - 2 GB - 6" monochrome E Ink ( 1024 x 768 ) - touchscreen - microSD slot - Wi-Fi - black night(N613-KBO-B)
Offered by Fonz Mania
Price: 128.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 1 Sep 2013
I got the Kobo Glo as a replacement for a lost Kobo Touch and I'll be honest, after about a year of using the Touch, I wouldn't consider a different E-Reader. The Glo like the touch has a 6-inch display, but while the Touch has a resolution of 800 x 600 the Glo has 1024x768. It is noticeable for sure but given that most of the time you're just reading text, I'm not sure it's such a massive advantage. While the screen size is identical, the size of the Glo itself is smaller, probably owing to the lack of a physical button under the screen, something that I'm not really missing.

The two biggest advantages of the Glo to the Touch are the speed, with the Glo having noticeably less lag when loading books and turning pages. Then there's the obvious advantage- the Glo glows. It glows well too, with the brightness being fully adjustable and making it perfect for reading in low light- its much better than trying to aim a small night light on your book.

I can't compare a Glo to a Kindle because I've never used one, but for me this device does everything I expect from an E-Reader.

Logitech G100s Optical Gaming Mouse - Black
Logitech G100s Optical Gaming Mouse - Black
Price: 18.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent product, poor value, 22 July 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have in the past always been a fan of Logitechs products, and this mouse is actually a replacement for another Logitech mouse. I play a lot of real time strategy games, mostly the Total War or Command and Conquer series, and I have had some time to play these games with my new mouse.

The G100 is noticeably lighter and previous products I have used. It also feels slightly more accurate and responsive than other products. The trouble is that in my view, both of these plus points don't come close to justifying the 35 price tag. While it isn't a bad product, it just doesn't come anywhere near the quality I would expect for the price.

MOGA Mobile Android Gaming System
MOGA Mobile Android Gaming System
Offered by total digital stores
Price: 28.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 23 Jun 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I play lots of Android games and most work fine just on my phone. But as these games are getting better and more complex I've begun to find playing some of them on the small screen difficult- for me it was Vice City that made me want this controller. I'll be honest; the device looks cheap, perhaps even close to tacky. But it feels heavy and solid, the buttons and controls are all easy to reach and ergonomic and it's small enough to carry around without any difficulty. Setting it up is hassle free, though the fact it requires AAA batteries is irritating- I would have preferred something rechargeable like in a phone. The controller will turn your phone into a serious gaming device and while there is room for improvement, this is a great product.

Camping Manager (PC DVD)
Camping Manager (PC DVD)
Price: 8.77

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 23 Jun 2013
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Camping Manager (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have played a lot of 'tycoon' style games and it seems that you can find one for just about any business these days. Camping Manager is fairly original, and the game makes what could be a boring theme somewhat entertaining. The graphics aren't great and there are games in this genre released years ago that have better visuals. The rest of the game is what I would describe as 'functional'. The game does everything it advertises but its difficult to shake the feeling that it was rushed.

Camping Manager is a budget game by price and by quality, but it is not the worst Tycoon game I've played. That said Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 is now costs next to nothing and is en every way a better game. With a bit more effort and content, and maybe even a little humor (like in Theme Hospital), Camping Manager could have been good-maybe even great.

The Bridge Project (PC CD)
The Bridge Project (PC CD)
Offered by RAREWAVES
Price: 6.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed it, 3 Jun 2013
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Bridge Project has pretty simple objective; you build a bridge over a given distance with a limited amount of money and materials. In that respect it is very similar to Bridge Builder, a game that is well over a decade old but there are a number of things that set the two games apart. There are several different types of materials including wood, steel and concrete. There are also pistons that have to be used for boats traveling under the bridge. The game is in 3D- the graphics aren't spectacular by any means, but they are passable. There are four map types- city, canyon, varied and countryside. Each of these have a number of different challenges with different length spans, different materials and budget to work from.

The Bridge Project does have a number of flaws. While the game isn't particularly hard, some elements (pistons for example) could have done with a tutorial, which is completely absent. The physics don't seem terribly realistic, which for a physics based game is a bit of a let down. Lastly, while the landscape and the missions do vary, by its very nature there isn't a lot it can vary by and I found the game getting tedious not that long after starting it.

I have enjoyed playing the Bridge Project, however with the flaws it has I don't feel it has a lot of lasting appeal and while it isn't expensive, it's difficult to recommend compared to other budget games.

Inferno: (Robert Langdon Book 4)
Inferno: (Robert Langdon Book 4)
by Dan Brown
Price: 9.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 31 May 2013
This is only the second Dan Brown book I've read after having been quite underwhelmed with the Da Vinci Code. Inferno starts reasonably well, and one thing I think Dan Brown can do well is build suspense. The story too, starts building reasonably well at the beginning, but all too soon the cliches start mounting and you realise the plot isn't going to get any deeper. The writing itself was frankly dull and while I wouldn't go so far as to say it was poorly written, it just wasn't well written either.

I wasn't expecting a masterpiece from Dan Brown and with millions of sales he's obviously doing something right. Personally though, I didn't enjoy Inferno on any level at all.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Classic (Xbox 360)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Classic (Xbox 360)
Offered by Game Trade Online
Price: 19.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Won me over, 14 May 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have to admit despite hundred of great reviews for Skyrim, I only got it relatively recently. I've played the odd role playing game before but since I'm not really that much of a fantasy fan,the idea of Orcs, Elves and werewolves seemed just a little too much for me. What got me to try was the fact that it was made by Bethesda (who made Fallout 3 which I really enjoyed) and the drop in price.

Personally I wasn't massively impressed with the graphics, and the first (compulsory) mission dragged a bit. Luckily I stuck to it. There are a number of very diverse characters you can start with, and as you play the game there is a huge number of directions in which you can develop your character. The main story missions are fantastic, but even the side missions are great. You can also join a number of factions, which themselves have numerous missions and rewards.

There are a number of bits to the game that have frustrated me though. One of the main things that's bugged me is going on long journeys to discover a new town only to get attacked and die shortly before getting there and having to start the whole thing again. As soon as I see an enemy on these journeys I just save the game now which mostly fixes that.

Right now I am about half-way through the main game and have completed the missions for one of the factions and just started those of another, and it has taken me a loooong time to get here. I am thoughroly enjoying the game and can't imagine I will be putting it down anytime soon.

G Data Mobile Security (Android)
G Data Mobile Security (Android)
Price: 11.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 27 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used G Data Mobile Security for about six months and while there are are good points, the bad points have finally got me to uninstall it.

The installation process is something that some users seem to have had a few problems with. Personally I found it a bit fiddly but other than that not too much of an issue. Virus Scans on my Nexus 4 are fast even when storage is quite full. The security features are comprehensive; I found the anti-theft feature particularly reassuring.

But all that comes at a price, and 10 is a lot to pay for an android application. Whats worse though is that several applications that I know are safe are showing as malware. I also get an email every few weeks saying my phone has been "successfully blocked" without my having done anything. Luckily my phone was fine.

Ignoring the steep price, the other issues above have raised the biggest 'deal-breaker' a security application can have for me: I CANNOT TRUST IT.

Uninstalled.